Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Need Help with Solid State Relay wiring

I have a boost controller that has 12volt two wire leads that go to a 12volt air solenoid. The controller can only handle a 3amp load. I need to control a device that has a larger load, so I am adding a Hella solid state relay... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hl...FYQ-aQod4oUGNw
and I have no clue how to wire it in.
Here's the Hella diagram. http://hellahd.com/index.php/default...001-931773987/

30 goes to +battery lead
87 goes to +of higher current load
85 ????
86 ????

I know its not the same as a mechanical relay so 85 and 86 is what I need help with. Keeping in mind my control wires normally open and close a 12v solenoid.

I've gathered that 85 probably just gets attached to a chassis ground.
And 86 needs to be a switched -negative. How do I achieve that with my current outputs?
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
85 is a permanent ground, 30 is the + side of the battery sized big enough for you load amperage, 86 is your control circuit(note it needs to be a negative trigger. 87 goes to the plus side of your load or whatever you are controlling.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
cdjnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
85 is a permanent ground, 30 is the + side of the battery sized big enough for you load amperage, 86 is your control circuit(note it needs to be a negative trigger. 87 goes to the plus side of your load or whatever you are controlling.
Thank you now I just need to find out if my controller is switching both + and - if it is I'm golden. Just attach - to 86. If its not I will definitely need some help.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #4
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjnight View Post
Thank you now I just need to find out if my controller is switching both + and - if it is I'm golden. Just attach - to 86. If its not I will definitely need some help.
Can you send me a link to the controller? I could look at how it gets wired.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
cdjnight

Quote:
Can you send me a link to the controller? I could look at how it gets wired.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...1%20Manual.pdf
Old 08-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
motorhead

Your controller is switching the postive. Can I ask what load you are going to control with the boost controller that is more than 3 amps?
To do it with the solidstate relay you have, you would need another relay that accepts a 12+ trigger and then wire the ground through the contacts to send a -12 trigger to the relay you have. If it was me I would find a relay the will handle the current you need that accepts a +12 trigger. It would really simplify things.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
HadA68

Drives: 2012 SS 45th Anniversary LS3
Quote:
Why not use the relay that the manual suggests? It has a 12Vdc control and capable of switching 40amps. Might be overkill for your application but it will work.

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/75411...36-Mini-Relay/
45th anniversary mods: CAGS delete, SW muffler delete, JBL shorties, Solo cats, strut tower brace, clutch/brake reservoir separation kit, Tick clutch bleeder, DRL harness, LED DRLs, elite catch can, ZL1 front grill, VTC, Rotofab CAI, blackvue dash cam, hurst billet plus 2, Eibach lower springs Ans anti-sway bars, Koni struts, tuning by DynoSteve
1969 corvette L46 coupe: ... Mostly stock
Past cars:
1967 corvette L79 coupe
1999 corvette FRC
1968 camaro RS
HadA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadA68 View Post
Why not use the relay that the manual suggests? It has a 12Vdc control and capable of switching 40amps. Might be overkill for your application but it will work.

I agree, but it seems as though he's looking for solid state for some reason. That's why I ask what he was controlling and what the amperage is.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #9
HadA68

Drives: 2012 SS 45th Anniversary LS3
Quote:
I agree, but it seems as though he's looking for solid state for some reason. That's why I ask what he was controlling and what the amperage is.
Then I would use this relay:

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/75533...atching-Relay/

Assuming 15amps is sufficient
45th anniversary mods: CAGS delete, SW muffler delete, JBL shorties, Solo cats, strut tower brace, clutch/brake reservoir separation kit, Tick clutch bleeder, DRL harness, LED DRLs, elite catch can, ZL1 front grill, VTC, Rotofab CAI, blackvue dash cam, hurst billet plus 2, Eibach lower springs Ans anti-sway bars, Koni struts, tuning by DynoSteve
1969 corvette L46 coupe: ... Mostly stock
Past cars:
1967 corvette L79 coupe
1999 corvette FRC
1968 camaro RS
HadA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:19 AM   #10
motorhead

Quote:
Then I would use this relay:

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/75533...atching-Relay/

Assuming 15amps is sufficient
That's a latching relaying. That would be the wrong relay for his application.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #11
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Just get a solid state relay with a higher current. Amazon has a million of them cheap. Depending on the load though you may have to add a heat sink to it.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #12
cdjnight

Quote:
Your controller is switching the postive. Can I ask what load you are going to control with the boost controller that is more than 3 amps?
To do it with the solidstate relay you have, you would need another relay that accepts a 12+ trigger and then wire the ground through the contacts to send a -12 trigger to the relay you have. If it was me I would find a relay the will handle the current you need that accepts a +12 trigger. It would really simplify things.
I'm controlling a 12 volt pump, IE...changing its duty cycle, changes its output presure

Quote:

The manual suggested relay is only to power the gauge not the output of Solenoid control.

Quote:
Yes I'm looking for solid state control because it will be cycling millions of times. Not something you would do with a mechanical relay. Amperage of pump I am controlling is upwards of 20A
Old 08-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #13
motorhead

Quote:
I'm controlling a 12 volt pump, IE...changing its duty cycle, changes its output presure

The manual suggested relay is only to power the gauge not the output of Solenoid control.

Yes I'm looking for solid state control because it will be cycling millions of times. Not something you would do with a mechanical relay. Amperage of pump I am controlling is upwards of 20A
So you are going to use the relay for PWM to rapidly cycle the pump to try to maintain a certain pressure at a certain boost? Why not use a Boost-A-Pump instead? Just curious. I would call Hella. The spec for that relay doesn't give a rating for an inductive load which is what a fuel pump is.

Last edited by motorhead; 08-18-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
cdjnight

Quote:
So you are going to use the relay for PWM to rapidly cycle the pump to try to maintain a certain pressure at a certain boost? Why not use a Boost-A-Pump instead? Just curious. I would call Hella. The spec for that relay doesn't give a rating for an inductive load which is what a fuel pump is.
A friend sent me this relay.
Attached Images