Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 08-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
collins8

Drives: 2013 ZL1
New owner of a 2013, time to MOD.

Just purchased a 2013 with 1K miles and it is time to Mod to my taste. This will be daily driver with no track time, so reliability and durability are number one for me.

Obviously the catch can is number 1 Mod. Just need to find a kit that has everything included to do install.

Next Mod will be a CAI and from my reading the Rotofab is the best one to go with. Just wondering has there been any testing on which CAI provides the lowest IAT's?

Throttlebody??? After much reading there appears to be no clear verdict on this one being worth the effort. The last thing I want to chase a couple HP and install a TB that kills throttle response and drive ability.....

Upping the Boost, MY plan is to go after the lower and get an ATI or IW kit with a 9.55 lower. That should be all the boost I ever need and I like the idea of the damper to help eliminate harmonics and vibration on the engine. Also keeping the stock 3" snout pulley gives more belt wrap to minimize slippage.

The supercharger solid coupler is a must. My plan is to go to GM first and see what they do with the rattle. You can make it rattle on the road by playing with it but who knows what GM will say? Anyone have any tips on how to deal with GM? I do not want a whole new supercharger, I just want the coupler installed.

160 degree thermostat a must.

a descent HX, Afco without fans or Ron Davis. In my mind anything to keep IAT's down is a must. I do not want anything too restrictive that kills airflow to the radiator and the AC Condenser. Good cold AC is a must.

Headers. a must in my mind because they help get the heat out of the engine. Granted I am upping the boost to get the air in and it makes sense to help get the hot exhaust out! A descent long tube should do the trick and I need CATS because I hate the smell of an uncatted car. Probably a stupid question, Does anyone make a descent header that allows one to use the stock cats? I have always found OEM Cats last better than aftermarket cats, but the Kooks green look nice.

I figure with this setup, I will be close to adding injectors. the ID 850's would be my choice.

Finally I have been wondering while I do this is a LS9 Cam worth the trouble? This will be daily driver that my wife drives daily and on trips, so I have to keep drive ability for her. Any feedback on this Cam with my setup would be appreciated. I am not chasing numbers but want to do what is good for the car. also if you do the cam is there anything that should be done to valve train to improve durability? I always read about getting the HP but what about durability?

Lastly have to get a good tune. Being near Knoxville TN area, not to many choices, so a road trip is in order. I have many years in the Mustang world and a Tuner like Jon Lund can normally send a guy a tune that is damn close and all you have to do is do some data logging and in a few emails you will have it safe until you can get it to a shop and a good tuner to squeeze out the remaining gains. I have yet to find the Jon Lund of the ZL1 world?

Any feedback on my strategy would be appreciated. I am new to the LSA world and I know there is tons of experience here! Any recommendations on vendors to put me a package together at a great price would be appreciated. I figure I will have to shop around piece by piece to get the best pricing.

Rob

Last edited by collins8; 08-30-2015 at 10:10 AM.
collins8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
mdntmank

Drives: ADM TUNED AND BUILT
mods

yes you will be adding injectors for sure. But should be able to get away with 63 lbs for sure....Rotofab is nice, but myself am thinking of ditching mine and going with the adm intake. As for lts you are going aftermarket for sure with cats, just gutted mine yes they looked good but just wanted failsafe and it don't smell...with that setup you should be anywhere between 540 and 580 rwhp......
mdntmank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
If you take it to the dealership for the rattle and they decide it's bad enough to warrant replacement, they'll replace the entire SC because the entire SC is built by Eaton and is considered a replacement part in it's entirety. It then goes back to Eaton.

If you just want the shaft replaced to get the solid isolator, replace it yourself or buy a separate shop and GM will re-imburse you for the cost.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Bigtime53

Just took mine to the chevy store and had it replaced. I would suggest if you have any rattle at all take it to them and get it replaced. That is what warranty is for. O, if you want any work done to your car to make your performance better take it to andy at adm. He knows how to make your car better and his work is top notch!
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
collins8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
If you take it to the dealership for the rattle and they decide it's bad enough to warrant replacement, they'll replace the entire SC because the entire SC is built by Eaton and is considered a replacement part in it's entirety. It then goes back to Eaton.

If you just want the shaft replaced to get the solid isolator, replace it yourself or buy a separate shop and GM will re-imburse you for the cost.

Interesting. How do I get GM to re-imburse me for having the isolator replaced? Did not know that was an option?
collins8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #6
Bigtime53

If you bought it new take your reciept back to the dealer. If you did not I would call them [GM] and ask what procedure they want you to do. Google their number or look in the owners manual. They have said they will pay for the repair if you have had it done.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Hey collins8,

We offer the above mentioned upgrades in stage packages. The Elite catch cans are a great set up and a come with all install hardware. As far as your upgrades, I would look into a tune sooner than later after you complete Stage 1. Feel free to call, PM or email us for any more information.

Kind regards,

-Adrian
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by collins8 View Post
Just purchased a 2013 with 1K miles and it is time to Mod to my taste. This will be daily driver with no track time, so reliability and durability are number one for me.

Obviously the catch can is number 1 Mod. Just need to find a kit that has everything included to do install.

Next Mod will be a CAI and from my reading the Rotofab is the best one to go with. Just wondering has there been any testing on which CAI provides the lowest IAT's?

Throttlebody??? After much reading there appears to be no clear verdict on this one being worth the effort. The last thing I want to chase a couple HP and install a TB that kills throttle response and drive ability.....

Upping the Boost, MY plan is to go after the lower and get an ATI or IW kit with a 9.55 lower. That should be all the boost I ever need and I like the idea of the damper to help eliminate harmonics and vibration on the engine. Also keeping the stock 3" snout pulley gives more belt wrap to minimize slippage.

The supercharger solid coupler is a must. My plan is to go to GM first and see what they do with the rattle. You can make it rattle on the road by playing with it but who knows what GM will say? Anyone have any tips on how to deal with GM? I do not want a whole new supercharger, I just want the coupler installed.

a descent HX, Afco without fans or Ron Davis. In my mind anything to keep IAT's down is a must. I do not want anything too restrictive that kills airflow to the radiator and the AC Condenser. Good cold AC is a must.

Headers. a must in my mind because they help get the heat out of the engine. Granted I am upping the boost to get the air in and it makes sense to help get the hot exhaust out! A descent long tube should do the trick and I need CATS because I hate the smell of an uncatted car. Probably a stupid question, Does anyone make a descent header that allows one to use the stock cats? I have always found OEM Cats last better than aftermarket cats, but the Kooks green look nice.

I figure with this setup, I will be close to adding injectors. the ID 850's would be my choice.

Finally I have been wondering while I do this is a LS9 Cam worth the trouble? This will be daily driver that my wife drives daily and on trips, so I have to keep drive ability for her. Any feedback on this Cam with my setup would be appreciated. I am not chasing numbers but want to do what is good for the car. also if you do the cam is there anything that should be done to valve train to improve durability? I always read about getting the HP but what about durability?

Lastly have to get a good tune. Being near Knoxville TN area, not to many choices, so a road trip is in order. I have many years in the Mustang world and a Tuner like Jon Lund can normally send a guy a tune that is damn close and all you have to do is do some data logging and in a few emails you will have it safe until you can get it to a shop and a good tuner to squeeze out the remaining gains. I have yet to find the Jon Lund of the ZL1 world?

Any feedback on my strategy would be appreciated. I am new to the LSA world and I know there is tons of experience here! Any recommendations on vendors to put me a package together at a great price would be appreciated. I figure I will have to shop around piece by piece to get the best pricing.

Rob
Rob

ADM 750 Package ......Under promise,Over delivered every time

To busy to answer the phones now days ,Sorry

But once your at the ADM PERFORMANCE shop its all hands on your build.

Just did a 2015 for a customer that drove all the way from SOUTH DAKOTA
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #9
mmiiller

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Bright Yellow
I'm the one from South Dakota referenced by ADM. I had the same criteria as you, daily driver, reliability, & durability. You want Andy to do your modding. His 750 package brings the car to its peak performance for dollars spent. I stayed in Dallas for the week while he did the modding.
mmiiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #10
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiiller View Post
I'm the one from South Dakota referenced by ADM. I had the same criteria as you, daily driver, reliability, & durability. You want Andy to do your modding. His 750 package brings the car to its peak performance for dollars spent. I stayed in Dallas for the week while he did the modding.

Mikes car drove all the way home with more power and better gas mileage to boot.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:21 PM   #11
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
This is a daily driver and keeps reliability to exceed 100k miles? Sounds like a lot, but maybe it's not. I'll let some others that know more about engine building educate me on whether or not it is.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #12
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
Is yours an M6 or A6 tranny? Mine is a DD and I don't think I could be more pleased with drivability, performance or reliability. A6 with 677whp/658wtq
Not too far from you for a road trip to the shop that did mine....they have a great rep all up and down the east coast....RPM in Garner, NC
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #13
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
I'll vote for Jannetty, he can do remote tuning just like you explained above.

Here's a link on shops you might want to look at to help you decide. I'd just keep poking around the forum and reading up on what people have done. Good luck.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423771
Old 10-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by collins8 View Post

Rob
Welcome and congrats Rob,

Your right on track for the JRE 125 RWHP upgrade package, this is what I run on my personal ZL-1 which I daily drive, Road Race, Drag race and take out to dinner and car shows, 1 package does everything well.

My car recently ran 11.06 ET 125 MPH on drag radials on 88 Degree day.

I provide the custom tuning for a true plug and play power package FREE with purchase of the kit it comes with an SCT tuner which you are familiar with to load tunes, log, read and clear codes, Stores the factory tune on the device and multiple Custom tunes.

Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your build, I am happy to share all the tips and advice.

Thank you for your business
Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 10-01-2015 at 12:39 PM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote