Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #15
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN69SH View Post
You only have to re-route the washer fluid tank if you go with the big gulp intake. Neither the rotofab or the CAI require re-routing. That said I went with the CAI. It is preference and for me it was performance and looks. The install was 30 mins if that. Yes I read the instructions before starting and I have small hands. lol Almost everyone has issues with the removal of the breather from the stock unit. I did not want to cut it free(that is an option) I used a little bit of alcohol as a lubricant and brute force. (In case I ever needed to re-install the stock unit) Again for me and in my opinion it is a cleaner look. I also show my car a lot and the cover helps to keep people from touching "things".

The instructions are clear. I did place the clamps a little differently than others again for a cleaner look and I have small hands thus can get to the underside. I further re-routed the overflow tube. Mainly because I did not like the pinch however subtle. It is a tight fit but the quality of the box and tube are great. The heat shield is well sealed no frayed edges, etc...The only con for me is the MAF position. The instructions have you placing it straight up and that pulls the connection wires taunt. There is a small amount of play in that I settled on one o'clock position. Less stress on the wires. I finished it off with some tape to shield the wires and give it a clean uniform look.

Here are some shots after immediately after install. I have tweaked it a bit since (tape and re-route of overflow). All that said I noticed a little more pick up immediately. I showed the car this past weekend and only one person asked why not Rotofab. So again it is preference. I live in Austin, Texas thus have to deal with the heat almost year round. (it was 101 yesterday and it is freaking Oct) As far as the sound I noticed is very much on acceleration as did the person next to me. lol

PS no tune needed. I am scheduled for dyno when it cools off here in town. Hopefully before I run on COTA in November.
That looks awesome, very clean!!!
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #16
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
The Roto-Fab CAI is the top performing intake system on the market for your ZL1s. Average gains are around 25rwhp and we have seen gains as high as 33rwhp on a stock ZL1 without tuning! We also have many customization options available to help your ZL1 stand out in the crowd.

Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #17
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
You really can't go wrong with either intake. I had a CAI on my SS and wanted a CAI for my ZL1. Problem was (at the time) CAI took over a year to develop their intake for the ZL1; and Roto-Fab was available almost immediately. I was a big fan of the CAI, waited for over 12 months for updates on the CAI availability, but after hearing nothing but empty promises I went the Roto-Fab route. I still think the CAI is a better looking intake, but the power gains are almost identical. Plus, I like to support vendors who are responsive to their customers and don't offer excuse after excuse.

At the end of the day, pick which one looks better to you and you'll be happy.
I share this sentiment about CAI but went with the K&N Intake instead as I was able to get it for almost half of what it retails for now.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #18
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
I went with Roto-Fab and I love it! My favorite part is how easily you can hear the blower with the roto-fab intake vs stock.

They claim it adds 25hp, I'm sure it does but with 580hp a 25hp difference would be very hard to tell.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #19
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Sn69sh, what I cannot get my mind past is, that other than the shape of the air filter being shaped differently, what is the difference between the stock setup and this one ?. if the box was solid plastic (and you couldn't see through it) what would be the difference?.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #20
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
Sn69sh, what I cannot get my mind past is, that other than the shape of the air filter being shaped differently, what is the difference between the stock setup and this one ?. if the box was solid plastic (and you couldn't see through it) what would be the difference?.
Larger opening at the bottom (less restriction) of the Roto-Fab to allow cool air to enter. That's why we can hear the whine of the supercharger once installed. Larger filter area besides being conical in design.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #21
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Has anyone tested the RotoFab VS the CAI, which gives you more HP?
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #22
SN69SH

Drives: 2015 ZL1 [Tallulah2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
That is not the only difference. The box contains a heat-shield for more cooling. I live in Texas and heat is an issue all year round. I considered the environment I drive in before settling on the CAI. The open top and/or no heat shield intakes tend to experience more heat soak than sealed boxes.

Not that it matters you might want to ask the Rotofab guy if the dyno numbers are with the hood open or closed. I am not here to sell you either unit. All that said it up to you it is your car after all and your money.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:39 PM   #23
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDiesel420 View Post
I went with Roto-Fab and I love it! My favorite part is how easily you can hear the blower with the roto-fab intake vs stock.

They claim it adds 25hp, I'm sure it does but with 580hp a 25hp difference would be very hard to tell.
I agree. Mine feels slightly peppier than before (CAI), but it's not a world of difference. The whine of the supercharger, however, is a HUGE difference. I love the sound it makes every time I get on it!
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #24
L36L72LS3
Jersey Jeff

Drives: 1969 Camaro L89/T400 ~ 2015 ZL1
As a drag racer, cold air counts. I added the CAI air box setup on my 2011SSRS because of its closed and insulted box, thus sucking cold, grille air v. open, hot air produced under the hood of the Camaro. With my just bought a ZL1, it will get the same treatment very shortly.
It makes more sense using fresh, cold air versus heated air from an open element set-up. Cosmetically, I think the CAI is sharper too. (Sorry Roto-Fab and others)

JerseyJeff
L36L72LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:42 PM   #25
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have bought a rotofab for each of the ZL1's I have had and they all have been a easy install and the supercharger whine is great to hear. But I have been reading what everyone has said about both CAI available. I like the looks of the CAI but I did not want the box as someone said because I could not see paying for a CAI that was enclosed like the factory unit is. Someone said it does not let hot air in. Well no kidding, neither did the factory filter box. The rotofab has a rubber seal around the top of the filter box. It might not completely seal against the hood but it is damn close. I do not think what little bit of engine heat that would get sucked in between the top of the rotofab air box and hood [if you are driving cold air would be forced in and excess air would push hot air out] and you would get fresh air all of the time as long as the car was moving. I like the way the filter is right there when you open the hood plus I have the carbon fiber one and it just plain looks good. It has been my choice for the cars I have had and I will not hesitate to buy another rotofab if the need comes up.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:10 AM   #26
gmjj13

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Just curious why people think because the Rotofab is open it sucks hot air from under the hood? I just installed mine, and it seals to the hood. If that design is good enough for the Z28, it's good enough for me. I was hoping for a little more blower whine, but it's only slightly more noticeable for me. Either way I don't think you could go wrong.
gmjj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #27
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjj13 View Post
Just curious why people think because the Rotofab is open it sucks hot air from under the hood? I just installed mine, and it seals to the hood. If that design is good enough for the Z28, it's good enough for me. I was hoping for a little more blower whine, but it's only slightly more noticeable for me. Either way I don't think you could go wrong.
Both Stevenson Motorsports and Mantella Autosport of the Continental Tire Series dumped the stock intakes on their Z/28.Rs for CAI, Inc.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:33 AM   #28
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
You don't have to remove the intake. Who exactly told you to or where did you read you had to remove it. I have had a supercharger replaced by the dealer with the Roto-Fab and a Apex catch can installed. The dealer will not work on the car in a warranty period if the ECU is modified. In other words you add a "tune" onto it. They are required to upload your cars computer data and take photos of the cold air intake, and send it to GM.
When I brought my car in for the first service I asked the service manager, Any problem if I install a aftermarket CAI? He said, I wouldn't because it will void your warranty, I then asked, what if I buy it from you, he said, same thing. He then said, If YOU do buy one, just make sure you bring it back to stock before you come in here.

I know all about the Magnusson act but lets face it its bullcrap, who's going to spend money on a lawyer to fight it.
-Bobby