Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #71
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Had mine washed and waxed today. They hand washed it then used an orbital buffer on it. Looked fine to me.

Last edited by havelegs; 11-21-2015 at 07:58 PM.
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #72
CruzinQueen

Drives: 2017 1LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I used to get psycho anal about my car always being clean. Now it goes through the touch less about once per week and get a good cleaning at the quarter wash about once per month. I also do light washes with Optimum No Rinse a few times a month in the summer. I have a two year old and a very demanding job so that is the best I can do. Car still looks amazing and I always get compliments on how clean it is.
CruzinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #73
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
I guess I'm just trying to explain that most people can not tell the difference between a perfectly detailed car and one that is kept clean most of the time, within reason.

Who cares about what most people can or cannot tell? I don't own things for the delight of other people, I have them because it pleases MYSELF. That's what you're missing and why I said you must not be a "car guy." You are just a guy that owns a car.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #74
Jimmy Hot-Wheels

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Edition 2SS/RS
I actually enjoy washing my car.

Best Father's Day gift ever! $65 on Amazon.

Jimmy Hot-Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #75
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpKnocker View Post
Hi, I have water spots on the car that I can't seem to get off. Should I clay bar that? Or is thee something else/better? Car came from the dealer with these spots. It now has a nice garage to sleep in.
Depends on how bad and how 'baked' in they are; I would start with a good a washing and try the clay bar to see if you can get them out. Where I live the water is really bad; loaded with calcium. My wife's CUV got soaked with water from our sprinklers during a wind storm and then sat in the sun for a few days while we were away. I tried the clay bar and got most of them out, but still had to take it and have it professionally detailed (buffed out) to get rid of all of them. Good luck
Old 11-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #76
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
I love washing mine...., it something I need to do. In fact I washed mine today.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #77
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupportGeek View Post
Having lived in Ontario for 10+ years, that cant be easy at times
Well its challenging for sure...it has seen rain but i do avoid it if posssible. I get it clean and try just to use the duster for maintenance.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #78
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I mostly use Blackfire water less, or rinseless washes. The dailys get the same unless it has rained and has bonded contaminates. Then the two bucket.
The waterless works great for light to medium dust. Rinseless for moderately dirty. I also have all my cars coated with Blackfire crystal coat so keeping them clean is really easy and a full waterless on the Camaro takes about 10 minutes.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #79
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
I take mine to a car wash station to use their pressure washer on my wheels and wheel wells, then I use their spot free rinse to wet the car down and fill my bucket with it because AZ has HARD water. I use Adam's shampoo and a microfiber mitt/
I wash it down, rinse again with spot-free, and then the car wash also has an air shammy that I use to get most of the wetness off, and then I use TURTLE wax and dry with a microfiber towel to finish her off.
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:43 PM   #80
waldo1967

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS (Black int./ext.)
I live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow car washing.
So I have no choice than to take it to the car wash.
The swirl marks are accumulating.
Next Spring, I will be either be self detailing or have it done professionally.
waldo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #81
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
Who cares about what most people can or cannot tell? I don't own things for the delight of other people, I have them because it pleases MYSELF. That's what you're missing and why I said you must not be a "car guy." You are just a guy that owns a car.
I think you'll have to admit that the idea of getting your car professionally detailed - with OP's implication that this is a regular occurrence rather than a one-time or very rare occurrence for some special occasion - is much closer to a show car owner's mindset than to the outlook of anybody who is happy enough with "decently clean, most of the time". And just to close out this particular thought, show cars are done up in large part "for the delight (and impressing) of other people".

To the original question, even though I don't particularly enjoy this aspect of car ownership I have always done my own car washing.

Benji's point that spending a whole lot more time on washing and detailing would not be noticed by others (and in my case, the results forgotten before the sun went down that day) is not wasted. It's just about being a different kind of 'car guy', though maybe you do have to be of a certain age to appreciate the way he phrased what he posted (68 here).

Side note to Rontammy and others who avoid driving their "good" cars in the rain like it's the plague - you're going to cringe at the fact that I actually like to drive on road courses in the pouring rain . . . no flame intended, just offering up the flip side.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-22-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #82
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I think you'll have to admit that the idea of getting your car professionally detailed - with OP's implication that this is a regular occurrence rather than a one-time or very rare occurrence for some special occasion - is much closer to a show car owner's mindset than to the outlook of anybody who is happy enough with "decently clean, most of the time". And just to close out this particular thought, show cars are done up in large part "for the delight (and impressing) of other people".

To the original question, even though I don't particularly enjoy this aspect of car ownership I have always done my own car washing.

Benji's point that spending a whole lot more time on washing and detailing would not be noticed by others (and in my case, the results forgotten before the sun went down that day) is not wasted. It's just about being a different kind of 'car guy', though maybe you do have to be of a certain age to appreciate the way he phrased what he posted (68 here).

Side note to Rontammy and others who avoid driving their "good" cars in the rain like it's the plague - you're going to cringe at the fact that I actually like to drive on road courses in the pouring rain . . . no flame intended, just offering up the flip side.

Norm

Again, I disagree. Many do car shows for their own satisfaction - not for the pleasure of others. That said, you'd have to spend time cleaning and buffing for the very purpose of doing a car show.

I think the point is, if you're really a "car guy," then you enjoy spending time with your car. Doing things to it. Keeping it nice. Protecting it. I'm sort of the same way with my 150+ collection of guitars... if one gets a single scratch on it, it's the end of the world (not literally). Come to think of it, my 40+ handgun collection is very much the same. I might take out and shoot one, but it comes back and gets put away only after a good cleaning. After all, that is all part of full blown "guy" interest in it.

I'm guilty too of not taking the nice cars out in the rain. That is what I have regular ones too for. I suppose if one is all you have, then there isn't any choices..?
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #83
crimsongtp

Drives: 2014 AGM SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
You guys have too much time on your hands. It's a car. It's not a show car (unless it is a show car). It's meant to drive. I guarantee you, nobody can tell the difference between a car that just went through the neighborhood touchless car wash and one that just received a $200 detail, while it is driving down the highway at 60+ mph.

I dont give a crap what people think about my car at 60, I care about taking care of my car and the more you wash/care for the body, paint, and wheels the less likely you are to get rust and blemishes.

Worst. Post. Ever.
crimsongtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #84
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
i enjoy polishing mine...what's the harm if you enjoy it
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote