Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
ReezyA

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Possible Noise from Engine

Hello, I have a 15 Camaro 2ls with just over 15k miles that is making a metal like sound only when the car has been driven at least 30 minutes. When I'm coming to a stop/moving at a low speed or just came to a stop, i can hear this sound mostly when the steering wheel is turned. Noise can't be heard with the windows up. The sound is intermittent and may only last for up to 10 seconds and then it's gone. Dealer couldn't replicate the problem which is frustrating since i bought it new and have only owned the car for almost 6 months. Here's a video i recorded. The sound intensifies when the steering wheel is turned. Has anyone else had this issue or have any ideas? All help is appreciated.

http://youtu.be/6KLEj3u2dZI
ReezyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Sounds like either the power steering pump drive belt or the pump pulley bearing has an issue. Sounds rotational and not fluid pressure flow related. I could be wrong though as that is just what my ears heard from the short video.

Once the engine has been run and is warmed up , will the noise replicate on demand if you perform the same step as you did in the video?
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
ReezyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
Sounds like either the power steering pump drive belt or the pump pulley bearing has an issue. Sounds rotational and not fluid pressure flow related. I could be wrong though as that is just what my ears heard from the short video.

Once the engine has been run and is warmed up , will the noise replicate on demand if you perform the same step as you did in the video?
No it won't replicate on demand. It usually stops after about 5-10 sexonds. It will usually do it again after i comw to a stop again, but only right after I stop. If i sit still a few minutes then it won't do it.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Did you first notice this after the outside temps got cooler or has it done it when it was warmer outside? Belts will make weird noises sometimes at colder temps but that is usually on initial startup. Once they warm up they tend to quiet down. Since yours as you described tends to squeal more pronounced when the wheel is turned, I'd still suspect something amiss on the power steering pump. The noise I hear on the video is too continuous to be suspension or steering linkage related. Maybe you should bring it to a different dealership and explain your issue.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
heat shield on your cat. just had mine done... spot welds have been known to be coming loose. Theyll replace the whole cat as its part of the assembly. that is definately the same noise mine was making...
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #6
sclark6

Drives: 2014 LS
Have you figured out what was causing the squeal? I have the same problem.
sclark6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
kmarshall2121

when your cars are making this noise, take a broom handle and apply pressure against the heatshield on your cat, I would almost guarentee that is what the noise is. trust me, went through it already with NUMEROUS trips to the dealership...
Old 12-18-2015, 06:44 AM   #8
ReezyA

**Update**. I took the car to the dealership three times before they heard the noise. They said it was the serpentine belt, which they replaced and the car still makes the noise. They then said it was the crankshaft balancer, which they replaced and when i picked the car up last night after a week of them having it, it still made the noise and now it knocks when turning which they said is from bad worm gears in the rack. Brought it back and they said they're going to replace the rack and pinion, so I'm hoping that will fix both problems. I would take it to another dealer but it's the only one within 40 miles.

Last edited by ReezyA; 12-18-2015 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to add that I mentioned the heatshield to dealer and they said that probably wasn't it.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
so far they sound like they are competently trying to deal with it, good luck, belt squeal happens....
Old 12-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #10
ReezyA

They are trying. The noise is getting worse though especially after the last time I picked it up and took it back to the dealer. Doesn't sound like a belt squeal in person. It started occurring more frequently and isn't normal. Hopefully The new rack and pinion will stop the old noise and the new noise. If not, I will more than likely start the lemon law process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
so far they sound like they are competently trying to deal with it, good luck, belt squeal happens....
Old 12-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
kmarshall2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReezyA View Post
They are trying. The noise is getting worse though especially after the last time I picked it up and took it back to the dealer. Doesn't sound like a belt squeal in person. It started occurring more frequently and isn't normal. Hopefully The new rack and pinion will stop the old noise and the new noise. If not, I will more than likely start the lemon law process.
HEATSHIELD ON THE CAT
Old 12-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #12
ReezyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
HEATSHIELD ON THE CAT
If it was the heatshield, wouldn't it make the noise all the time? It only makes the noise after coming to a stop and turning the steering wheel and sometimes driving under 5mph and turning the steering wheel.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:56 PM   #13
ReezyA

Rack and pinion was replaced and noise doesn't occur as much. Dealer did a 4wheel alignment and the steering wheel is now off center and when the steering wheel is straight, it pulls slightly to the right. They realigned it again and still have same issue. Metal like noise from steering has begun to get worse over the past week and Gm is working on hopefully replacing this car. Had other issues such as headlight housing replaced due to moisture buildup on the inside and a/c having to be reprogrammed due to it not working all the time. Too many issues for a 6 and a half month old car. Not sure how it will hold up after the warranty is up.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #14
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Bear in mind that a Service Bulletin was released regarding the Idler Pulley on our vehicles. It is said that it can make noise and fail. (I know you're talking steering, but I'm posting just in case) TSB follows:

Date Reported FEBRUARY 01, 2015
NHTSA Reference #10057653
TSB Reference #SU-15004

Description: CHEVROLET/GMC: ON SOME VEHICLES, ACCESSORY DRIVE IDLER PULLEY WILL BE REPLACED DUE TO NOISE IN BEARING AND PULLEY MAY FAIL AND ALTERNATOR AND WATER PUMP STOP WORKING. *PE

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote