Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
Gen5j

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2ss
New wheels, is bigger better?

First Post ever!

Let's start with a thanks to all of you who post to his forum. Your willingness to share and your insights are invaluable!

My questions:
I am considering making a change to the wheels on my 2014 SS convertible.

Brand options:
GM Stock wheels with a simple powder cost/ paint modification
image3.JPG

Forgeline CP3
image3.JPG

Weld Racing – S71B
image1.JPG

For those that have any of these, what's your experiences and with the Brands or a powder cost modification?

Secondly wheel size – I currently run the stock 20x8 front/ 20x9 back with P-Zero Summer tires, I store for the winter.

I am considering the ZL1 set-up of 20x10 front / 20x11 back.
For those who have made this kind of change is there any impact to handling or performance?

Is there any need to tune the suspension due to a change like this?

Last question, with a size change which tires are my best option vs. the current p-Zero’s?

Thanks for the wisdom!
Edit Report
Gen5j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
CurtiSSWatson

Drives: Black SS
Wider = more grip
Wider also = more weight

But our cars can handle it. If you track your car, these numbers matter. But, I can tell from your question that you don't, so you are doing it for strictly visual matters. The wheels will fit, just make sure your offsets are correct so the fronts don't rub.
CurtiSSWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
stock block

Drives: 2015 zl1
Best cost effective is get two more rear 9" wide rears and run them with 275 40 r 20 on all four corners. This will help the cars problems understeer that comes with running a staggered wheel and tire setup like the SS come with (8"/9"). The 9"/9" with 275 all round is what is called a square wheel and tire setup.

The zl1 setup will be better handling because of use of wider rims and tires even tho its not perfectly square. The biggest bonus of useing the zl1 setup is being able to use michelin tires like the ps2 or pss tires
stock block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Gen5j

Thanks gentleman. No track time for me, strictly for the enjoyment of driving. Never thought about squaring it up but yo make a good point. Learned to handle the under steer, but do think some additional width might be in order.

Any thoughts on the wheel options?
Old 12-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
Mels RS

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5j View Post
Thanks gentleman. No track time for me, strictly for the enjoyment of driving. Never thought about squaring it up but yo make a good point. Learned to handle the under steer, but do think some additional width might be in order.
Any thoughts on the wheel options?
I've got a 2015 2LT/RS. 20 X 8 front, 20 X 9 rear. I would like to trade my rear 20 X 9s for someone's front 20 X 8s.
Like new. No scratches! With this "square set-up' we could both rotate tires.
I have about 4700 "old man" miles on the original Pirelli P Zeros.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>

Last edited by Mels RS; 12-26-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Mels RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #6
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5j View Post
First Post ever!

Let's start with a thanks to all of you who post to his forum. Your willingness to share and your insights are invaluable!

My questions:
I am considering making a change to the wheels on my 2014 SS convertible.

Brand options:
GM Stock wheels with a simple powder cost/ paint modification
image3.JPG

Forgeline CP3
image3.JPG

Weld Racing – S71B
image1.JPG

For those that have any of these, what's your experiences and with the Brands or a powder cost modification?

Secondly wheel size – I currently run the stock 20x8 front/ 20x9 back with P-Zero Summer tires, I store for the winter.

I am considering the ZL1 set-up of 20x10 front / 20x11 back.
For those who have made this kind of change is there any impact to handling or performance?

Is there any need to tune the suspension due to a change like this?

Last question, with a size change which tires are my best option vs. the current p-Zero’s?

Thanks for the wisdom!
Edit Report
I will be selling my 20x11 Forgestars rear wheels since Apex just released their 19x11 x 25 offset wheels. Just get 20 x 10s for the front.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #7
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Most people seem to ugrade to 305/315s in the back and 285s in the front. There is a new tire out that is VERY cost effective in this size and is pretty good. The Bfgoodrich all season high performance. That's what I plan on getting when I get my MRR228 rims
Old 12-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #8
oreduks

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
Too bad we weren't closer. I have 2 sets of 20x8/20x9. One set is Polished and the other is the 2014 RS Silver painted. I'd trade. Silver set has 4K and Polished set has 6K.
oreduks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:47 PM   #9
Gen5j

I appreciate the offers to trade but part of the equation is a new set of wheels. Staying stock makes tires easy going forward, changing sizes may create a trade opportunity but I am working through the options now. I will lock into those new tires Homeless recommended, thanks for info. Handling, durability and cost will drive the decision. Any additional wheel options out there? Thanks for the feedback!