Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #85
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
What he said,

The people asked for it, so JDP delivered.
I Second this! Thank You JDP. Just because it is the same engine does not mean it has to produce the same numbers either.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #86
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
The power ratings are SAE certified. It has been discussed before.
You do realize that the very same SAE certification that some on here just LOVE to talk about also calls for variances in the power rating.

Just saying...
Old 12-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #87
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post

Biggest advantage the Camaro has is the Torque under the curve. The peak numbers don't really do the actual results justice. Look at the above dyno sheet and you'll see, there are times where the Camaro is making more than 20 lbs more RWTQ.

As far as the power these engines are actually making: They under rate engines all the time. Being SAE certified doesn't mean that the engine can not make more. If you go by 15% loss (which is what manuals are traditionally calculated by) the Cars are making 490 (Corvette) and 495 (Camaro) HP at the crank. Even if you used 12%, the Camaro is still at 478 at the crank. We are living in the Golden Age for these cars. I want to call them muscle cars but they are proving to be so much more now. Kudos to GM for building us these machines

All the best,

Jared Royce
Good luck my friend trying to explain that to some folks around here.

Either way, great job guys!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:44 PM   #88
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
2016 Camaro SS manual (base) is listed by GM as 3685
2016 Corvette manual (base) is listed by GM as 3298
(Options change the actual weight, hence "base")

Difference = 387 lbs

Camaro SS weighs 11.7% more than Corvette. With that, the Camaro SS needs about 53.4 more rated horsepower and torque to equal the power/weight ratio of the Corvette.
z51 corvettes are about ~3400lbs from what ive seen. Bigger brakes etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Is Alpha really more advanced than the C7 though?

I mean it's good..but..?
If anything the corvette driveline should take away less power. The Camaro is also turning 20's.

In the past the 4th gens had SRA and the vette IRS. A SRA will put down more power than IRS.

They are pushing the envelope with what is allowed by SAE in rating variances IMO. All things considered I think the Camaro is putting out a bit more power.

According to some people on corvetteforums that do tuning and have looked at both cars....the Camaro has a hotter tune as well.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:03 AM   #89
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Camaro View Post
Yes and no. GM must think of X breakdowns/100,00 cars made (or 1 million or 10,000, or whatever) . Gven statistical modeling and FMECA/risk analysis, they set their models to have a projected 10%, 1%,0.1%0.01%, etc. failure rate. then, based on profit/loss, they calibrate to project whatever it deems as the optimal failure/HP output ratio and executes.

However, on an individual basis, it is probably safe to assume that a 1,3,5% HP increase in one's individual car will not cause significant issues, especially since GM likely uses a safety factor assuming that each engine puts out its targeted HP plus X% allowed for motor variances based on manufacturing tolerances. So to most individuals wanting a tune and simple bolt ons, there would be no ill affects. However, to SOMEONE, there will be a detrimental affect, just likely to someone else. Its like playing the lottery...SOMEONE will win, just it really ain't going to be you. But there is always a chance...
A tune doesn't make a vehicle less reliable because it makes a few more HP. Knock sensors get desensitized, rpms go up (big factor there) and the transmission parameters get all jacked up (so many more pressure faster shifts, must be better tuners out there ).
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:06 AM   #90
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
I'd like to know the wot timing curves and targeted afr values between the two cars...
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:31 AM   #91
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
z51 corvettes are about ~3400lbs from what ive seen. Bigger brakes etc.

If anything the corvette driveline should take away less power. The Camaro is also turning 20's.

In the past the 4th gens had SRA and the vette IRS. A SRA will put down more power than IRS.

They are pushing the envelope with what is allowed by SAE in rating variances IMO. All things considered I think the Camaro is putting out a bit more power.

According to some people on corvetteforums that do tuning and have looked at both cars....the Camaro has a hotter tune as well.
guess you dont realize a z51 c7 is spinning 20s also.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:45 AM   #92
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Seems like everything pisses Vette guys off lately.

A Mustang (GT350TP) that handles as well as a Z51 Stingray? Butthurt

Camaro getting the same power ratings as a C7 for $20k less (1SS M6)...butthurt

I can't tell if Corvette owners are just insecure or really that easily excitable.
the "vette guys" (including my self) arent pisses off because the SS has the same power. Because everyone knew that was happening. the old SS had a LS3, and so did the old c6 corvette. Its the fact that the performance is little to close to the corvette.

I wont say i am mad, more annoyed. Now camaro guys are going to think they are smarter people for buying a cheaper car with similar performance. I bought my c7 z51 because of its performance AND looks. The camaro is near vette performance. but its never going to have the style of a corvette. trust me when i say i didn't buy this vette for just performance, i like turning heads.

nothing beats the new SS for the price in terms of performance.
nothing beats the C7 in terms of performance and looks.

^ thats what way i view it. my car has been mistaken for a ferrari let me add.

they compare the vettes performance to a 100k 911. they are comparing the new SS performance to the vette. wonder how the guy in the 911 feels when a base v8 camaro can give it a run for its money.

of course a 911 is a better made car though. the days of real performance only found in expensive cars is over. and that kind of sucks in some ways. it makes the dream of owning expensive sports cars less appealing.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:24 AM   #93
jonny5cam

Drives: IOM SS/RS LS3/6sp. man.
Lets do this again in about 5k miles when the Camaros engine is loosened up and broken in. That'll really tick the vette owners off.
jonny5cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #94
08z51c6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - A8, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5cam View Post
Lets do this again in about 5k miles when the Camaros engine is loosened up and broken in. That'll really tick the vette owners off.
Same can be said when the Vette has 5k miles and is broken in. I just don't get this Camaro VS Corvette crap. Two different cars for two different purposes. It may have similar power and be close in performance but a Camaro will never give you the same driving experience as a Corvette.
08z51c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:01 AM   #95
SSNYSTR

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS
I wanna see an Auto comparison.
SSNYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:23 AM   #96
BigRedViking

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 5.7L 2016 1SS M6 NGM
Send a message via Yahoo to BigRedViking
Now I'm wondering if the 3.6 only makes 335hp. Great comparison!
BigRedViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #97
pdoherty972

Drives: 2013 370Z sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08z51c6 View Post
Same can be said when the Vette has 5k miles and is broken in. I just don't get this Camaro VS Corvette crap. Two different cars for two different purposes. It may have similar power and be close in performance but a Camaro will never give you the same driving experience as a Corvette.
I hear Vette owners say this, but they never qualify it. In what way is the driving experience better? The Camaro is pulling great performance numbers, including handling, so exactly in what aspects is the Vette better? This sounds like nothing more than rationalization of paying 20k more than you needed to.
pdoherty972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #98
andrec10

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6SP/Suby Legacy 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08z51c6 View Post
I have driven both cars and don't believe this. I can afford both cars, but I chose the Camaro 2SS because I like the way it drives better. You can feel the speed in the Corvette, the Camaro...not so much. IMHO!
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6th gen camaro, corvette c7, dyno, jdp motorsports