Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-05-2016, 04:10 AM   #15
Crand

Drives: away the ladies :(
Send a message via AIM to Crand
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBHWT View Post
After 100K has anything really gone bad, except for normal wear and tear ?
About a month ago when I pulled the parking brake (I don't call it an emergency brake because in emergencies I use the gas pedal) the cable snapped. At least, I'm assuming it snapped. I really don't know where it's broken because it's above the driveshaft and I'm really paranoid about my entire body being directly beneath a car I had to buy a special low-profile jack for. One of these days I'll take it to a non-dealer shop and have them fix it. I'm pretty sure it's currently bouncing off the driveshaft. Other than that and a tiny glitch in the HUD that GM refused to even acknowledge, the car has been flawless.

It has been the best car I've ever owned in my life and this would be the 7th GM car I've had as a daily driver. I had an IROC in high school which was fun but I'd have Asian sedans walking away from it constantly, especially if it was already rolling. It had the 5.7L so it was an automatic. My Monte Carlo Z34 was fun and had that awesome DOHC 3.4L engine but at about 100k miles the transmission gave up. I didn't have the money to fix it and my apartment complex was repaving the place so rather than have the thing impounded I sold it to a junk yard for FAR less than it was worth. There were other GM products that aren't even worth mentioning but I can say absolutely zero of them made to 100k without a major wallet-emptying problem. So to say I'm impressed by my car's performance and reliability is a vast understatement.

The car pulls as hard today as it did the first 1000 miles. I think a major part of the credit for that goes to GM but there is at least some amount of credit due these forums. As I mentioned in a post above I spent my time reading these forums while waiting for delivery of my car. Because of that I broke it in according to some more seasoned among you and after about a month I took it to the dealer and had them change the rear differential fluid. I got some strange looks but I told them to take my money and shut up about it. They did. I've maintained it better than any car I've ever owned, never missed an oil change (do them all myself). I've added a few things like the ZL1 rockers, Granatelli rotors and Granatelli brake lines. Other than that and a couple pieces of 3M vinyl, the car is the same as it left the factory.

If I had the means, I'd like to shake the hand and buy a drink for every person who had a hand in building the car I'm driving today. It brings me more joy that I ever imagined it would and most importantly, after nearly three years behind the wheel, driving it has NEVER become routine. My heart races every time I back out of the driveway. This thing is simply great.
Crand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:13 PM   #16
b20

Drives: 2013 1LE RS 1SS
hoping to try to put miles on this year
im at 3715 miles (was side lined with health issue)
silver turns 3 on 2/26/16 hoping to get her out of the stable soon and drive her
b20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #17
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
That was so cool of you to take your car to an abandoned airstrip to celebrate this event where you received permission to go 100mph and it was legal...
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:05 AM   #18
Crand

Drives: away the ladies :(
Send a message via AIM to Crand
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
That was so cool of you to take your car to an abandoned airstrip to celebrate this event where you received permission to go 100mph and it was legal...
No, man! Here in Arizona you don't need to clear an airstrip to push your car over the century mark. There's a stretch of road right down the street from where I live where you can easily test the limits of any car. This of course isn't advertised anywhere or as near as I can tell simply acknowledged. But this one time on YouTube a Lambeaux Murciélago ran 219 miles per hour on it so he's obviously cleared things up with the proper authorities, filed necessary paperwork and greased the requisite palms. It's totally cool. If I get pulled over I'll just tell them about the video with the Murciélago and things will be copacetic.

Here it is. Hell of a guy.

(btw, I DO NOT condone that kind of speed on public roads)
Crand is offline   Reply With Quote