Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
thirdleft152

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS LS3 - Summit White
Lug Nut Rust

Hey guys,

I am in the process of getting my wheels powder coated and getting some new tires put on.

I have some Rohana rims, RC10 20x9 front and 20x11 rear. I got the matte black ones and have been a little disappointed that the finish has started peeling a bit where the tire sits on the wheel. So I am going to have them professionally powder coated gloss black. Then will be getting some new 285x35x20 and 305x35x20 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 tires.

My concern after doing all of this is my lug nuts. I have gone through two sets in the past two years (each set did not even last a year, I just dealt with it for a bit) and have RUSTED like crazy. It's not just where the socket contacts the lug nut either.

Disregard the dirty wheels, i've been busy lately.

Lug nuts that fit are extremely hard to find, and I ended up getting them special ordered from a place up in Chicago. According the wheel manufacture there are only a handful of places in the country that sell lug nuts to fit. They actually are smaller then the spline lug nuts. The socket (for lack of a better term) actually goes into the center of the lug nut to make it even smaller.

I have thought about powder coating them, using enamel paint, and even trying rust-oleum.

Any ideas/thoughts guys?
Old 02-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Dont refinish them theyll peel off, get the spline lug nuts, we offer those as well and those have worked out great.

These RAD style tuner lugs that your using are good, this is the first time ive seen them ever rust.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
thirdleft152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4speed_motorsports View Post
Dont refinish them theyll peel off, get the spline lug nuts, we offer those as well and those have worked out great.

These RAD style tuner lugs that your using are good, this is the first time ive seen them ever rust.
That's what I thought. It sucks they didn't last long, they looked pretty high quality when I first opened them.

I have tried like three different sets of spline lug nuts with no luck. Tonight i'll get dimensions on them and see what they currently are. I'll definitely need a pair if I want my rims back on next week.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
Need4speed_motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdleft152 View Post
That's what I thought. It sucks they didn't last long, they looked pretty high quality when I first opened them.

I have tried like three different sets of spline lug nuts with no luck. Tonight i'll get dimensions on them and see what they currently are. I'll definitely need a pair if I want my rims back on next week.
where are you getting them from, also are you driving the car in conditions that have salt on the road, any wheel cleaner being used etc.

anything like that we should know?
Old 02-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #5
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Get McGard brand lugs.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
thirdleft152

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I had to travel over-seas for work for a week and had very limited internet access.

I measured my lug nuts and they are almost 3/4" diameter, roughly as I don't have a caliper. That is just barely larger than the stud itself which is probably 1/2" (haven't measured).

These are the specs i got from the seller:

Bolt pattern: 5-4.72 inches
Wheel nut: M14x1.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4speed_motorsports View Post
where are you getting them from, also are you driving the car in conditions that have salt on the road, any wheel cleaner being used etc.

anything like that we should know?
I got them from a shop called "Joey Top Speed" up in the chicago area. Like I mentioned earlier the wheel manufacture recommend them, and there were only 5 places in the states they recommended.

No salt or anything like that, I live in Texas we are lucky if it snows at all. It's gonna be 75 degress today lol .

The only thing I can think of, which probably doesn't matter, is there is a lot of construction in my neighboor. They are building out two whole lots (300-400 houses) so there is lots of dust, gravel, etc.

I generally use Chemical Guys - Diablo Gel Wheel & Rim Cleaner or Griot's Garage - Heavy-Duty Wheel Cleaner. Mostly because theses can pretty much clean all the rust from my rims and are highly recommend from various car people I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack View Post
Get McGard brand lugs.
I will check those out, thank you very much for the recommendation.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
Need4speed_motorsports

There are the standard splines that work as well their regular style lugs slimmer and with a key.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
thirdleft152

I have been looking at all sorts of lug nuts, McGard included, and I really don't think any of these will work. I am pretty sure I have tried several similar types of lug nuts to theses from O'Reily's and Autozone and even another local car shop.

Excuse my ignorance, for the most part people throw around terminology on the internet, but what exactly is the "Hex Size"? Is this the O.D. of the lug nut itself? Or the O.D. of the socket? Some of the sockets i've seen say hex 13/16" and 7/8" or 21mm and 22mm dual hex key, or something similar where there is two sizes.

From what I am seeing there are almost no spline style (which is what i'd like to get) lug nuts that have a Hex Size smaller than 3/4" and definitely nothing smaller than 1" from McGard at the M14 size.

I am going to get a caliper and measure these exactly here in the next day or two. I really don't think anything bigger than a little more than 3/4" will fit in the lug nut barrel, for lack of a better term. Basically the lug nut and anything needing to go around it or tighten it can not be more than 3/4".
Old 03-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #9
thirdleft152

Ok. Does anyone know what lug nuts will fit my wheels? I just bought these and just like every other set i've seen they don't fit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

These wheels are really starting to tick me off.