Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #15
pdiddy972

Drives: 2017 Corvette Stingray Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
That is the strategy I use when I DO buy a car. I NEVER buy it the day I drive it. I always say "not good enough" and go home. I wait until at least the third call before I go back. It is amazing the deals you can get when they think you might go shop around.
Are you doing numbers with them the day you drive it, and saying not good enough to those numbers? Or simply test driving, saying not good enough (presumably to the car itself)? In the latter case I'd wonder why they'd even be calling you...

Last edited by pdiddy972; 11-10-2016 at 07:03 AM.
pdiddy972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:44 PM   #16
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Man, I don't know how you guys do it. Trading in a car so early, you are taking a beating on the depreciation no matter what spin the dealer likes to tell you.

At a minimum, I would keep a car for at least 3-4 years before deciding to get rid of it. However, every car I have owned I have kept for at least 7-10 years, one of which I've had since '96.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #17
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
Are you doing numbers with them the day put drive it, and saying not hood enough to those numbers? Or simply test driving, saying not good enough (presumably to the car itself)? In the latter case I'd wonder why they'd even be calling you...
Day one I drove the car. We talked numbers. I said no deal. Day two they started calling me offering me better deals.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #18
stella16
1959 Chevy Apache 4X4

Drives: 2017 ZL1
The trade in would be for the 10 speed ZL1. Just daydreaming really. I understand the hit that I would take. It's company owned, so that eases the pain a little. I have considered just keeping it and waiting until 2019 or 2020 to buy a Z.
thanks for the responses
again, just daydreaming
stella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #19
gosutag
Left Lane Enforcer

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Man, I don't know how you guys do it. Trading in a car so early, you are taking a beating on the depreciation no matter what spin the dealer likes to tell you.

At a minimum, I would keep a car for at least 3-4 years before deciding to get rid of it. However, every car I have owned I have kept for at least 7-10 years, one of which I've had since '96.
It only makes sense to sell a car at least a year after buying it. More sense after two years of buying it and then up to the owner after that.
1994 Evo II

Previous Cars:
2017 Camaro SS
2014 Chevy Malibu LTZ
gosutag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #20
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosutag View Post
It only makes sense to sell a car at least a year after buying it. More sense after two years of buying it and then up to the owner after that.
Are we talking financial sense? If so, it really never makes sense to buy a new car with the plan to sell it in a year or two. Ideally, someone would buy that one or two year old car from you while still in good condition and under warranty. They will only have to deal with 5-15% depreciation over years 3-5 vs the 30-40% hit the first owner incurs in the first two years.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #21
Captain Obvious
^Name^ | Things I Say -->

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible, Hyper Blue
Here's another opinion...

My understanding is that KBB and NADA are both antiquated. Black Book value is the most common one used by dealers now, as it's updated weekly and based on real time auction prices. Last two cars I traded came in much closer to Black Book than Blue or NADA.

Black Book is usually not available to private parties, but if your Google Fu is strong, you can usually find it on the internet, on some Credit Union sites usually.
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #22
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Here's another opinion...

My understanding is that KBB and NADA are both antiquated. Black Book value is the most common one used by dealers now, as it's updated weekly and based on real time auction prices. Last two cars I traded came in much closer to Black Book than Blue or NADA.

Black Book is usually not available to private parties, but if your Google Fu is strong, you can usually find it on the internet, on some Credit Union sites usually.
It's changed again .....Manheim auto auction and the other big auction player around the country are online now, and dealers just go straight to their screen see what the exact car sold for going down the lane, last week…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote