Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #15
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I was never able to shift from 1st to 2nd smoothly for a long time. Now I do. I honestly don't know what I am doing different. I guess I just got used to the car over time. I have around 4,500 miles on the car.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #16
danomar

Drives: 2017 2LT V6
The engagement for my new 2LT is a bit clunky but nothing unusual when compared to my previous cars, nearly all of which were manual transmissions. Higher powered vehicles by necessity have stiffer clutches and more robust transmissions. Your bucking issue seems to be fueling issue, not a clutch or transmission problem. The dealer needs to take a look at it.

FWIW I usually make a very deliberate, slow shift from first to second gear unless in a hurry. By deliberate, I mean pulling the lever out of first, pausing a fraction of a second in neutral, then carefully engaging second. The synchronizers on the first two gears usually take a beating, so I have learned to be deliberate and careful about that first shift unless I need to hurry. My 2¢.
danomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #17
TheDocKlopek

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydmc View Post
skip 2nd. for casual or traffic driving I shift 1st to 3rd every time. 1st to get the car rolling, slip into 3rd and leave it there... plenty of power even at slow speeds and it won't buck as you change throttle positions.

I know, I know, I always comment on this subject...
I started doing this also, 1 to 3. I also go 2 to 4. This car has so much power you don't need to go through the gears. Only when racing the car.
TheDocKlopek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #18
cryssm

Drives: Car
I know what you're talking about as far as the bucking goes; it's normal.

As for the shifting, here's my .02 cents:

#1 I've come to realize these transmissions like to be shifted quickly (but properly). If the RPMs drop below what they will be at when you engage in the following gear at your current speed, you've waited too long and are shifting too slowly.

#2 If #1 happens, I, as someone else mentioned, have to give it a little gas as I'm releasing the clutch to make the shift smoother.

#3 Shifting higher in the RPM band (2500-3000), as others mentioned, can help a lot; provided the throttle position (how quickly you're revving up) coincides with shifting at that particular RPM. If you're not giving it a lot of throttle (stop and go traffic), running the RPMs up to 3000 will be overkill. Personally, I stopped looking at my tachometer in everyday driving; I go by sound. Picking a particular RPM to shift at every time doesn't really always work the best.

Gotta remember: for the I4/V6 M6, we're going from a 4.40 1st gear ratio to a 2.59 2nd gear ratio — that's not a small step. My advice is to learn the transmission the best you can, and eventually you'll get it figured out.

Last edited by cryssm; 12-24-2016 at 08:15 PM.
cryssm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #19
fahimghaffar

Drives: 2018 Camaro ss
I have a camaro ss 2018

I am having same 2nd gear issue. One the customer got it fixed and found out that is a defective transmission housing. Here is the link to the video. https://youtu.be/FxngwiF7_Wg

GM knows about it but they are telling their dealer to tell customers that it is normal. Everybody, we need to report this issue to NHTSA.gov. Here is the link for that https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

All these camaoros have defected transmision housing which is causing multiple symtoms. For example, hard to shift to 2nd when upshift or downsift, 2nd gear popping out and shift into neutral, missing 2nd gear and sometime grinding.
I spoke to 2 dealers and they both have different openion. One says that i need skip shift eliminater and the other one says that it is normal to have symtoms like that also Advised me not to use the 2nd gear. Which is bad beacuse we spent a fortune buying this car and then we are unable the use 2nd gear.

Please everybody, go NHTSA website and file a complain because they are not going to fix it until government institution files a lawsuit against GM
fahimghaffar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #20
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
This thread was from 2016 - why are you dragging it back up??
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:52 PM   #21
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
fahimghaffar, I get that you are trying to popularize this issue, but, you might want to keep it to the Camaro issues section. The video is compelling and definitely the first I heard of this problem.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:19 AM   #22
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
fahimghaffar, I get that you are trying to popularize this issue, but, you might want to keep it to the Camaro issues section. The video is compelling and definitely the first I heard of this problem.
All 17 of his posts are a copy paste of this one. Spam
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote