Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-02-2017, 01:06 AM   #15
Hawayanzl1

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Haha, I will continue to ignore the recalls then! The key fob was also one of the cool factors that led me to buy the ZL1. Thanks for all your input. Happy New Year everyone! Alooooha!
Hawayanzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #16
Enough Already

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1-M6
So not to get too anal . . . if I "lost" one of my fobs and did the recall with just the 1, will the old and new still work?
Enough Already is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #17
km9v

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
I just got my keys done :( I miss my switchblade.
km9v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #18
BossRS4

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
When I bought the car they cannot sell the vehicle unless all recalls are taken care of so mine was sadly done.

BUT I recently went to the parts department and they cut me a new key AND put it into my key fob for $10! I have to go back and get the other one done. So if anyone is looking for cheap solution you can have yours done for $20 for both.
45% Tint on Windshield
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Oracle Afterburner Tail Lights
Oracle LED Sidemarkers
RDP Tune
TSP Long Tube Headers
Forza Componenti 3-Way Exhaust Controller
ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill
BossRS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #19
GONMAD510

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I had my recall done on my keys. I got 2 new regular keys and they didn't even bother taking the keys out of the key fobs. Now I have 4 keys to the car.
GONMAD510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #20
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
I'm starting to think it's a bad ignition switch. I've put my switchblade in my car, started the car, and pulled, tugged, pushed and banged it around and couldn't get the car to turn off. So, either it's total BS (which I am leaning towards) or there's an ignition issue in which if you bump the fob with your knee it inadvertently rotates.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #21
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I got tired of getting the notices so I made an appointment at the dealership closest to my work. I was going to just do one and keep my unused spare virgin. The service writer told me they had to do both because they reprogram the car and cut new keys, the old key would not work at all after they were done. He said they have to order the parts and it takes three weeks! That sounds a whole lot more complicated than most of the recall stories I've read here. What's the straight scoop?
Old 01-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #22
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
I got tired of getting the notices so I made an appointment at the dealership closest to my work. I was going to just do one and keep my unused spare virgin. The service writer told me they had to do both because they reprogram the car and cut new keys, the old key would not work at all after they were done. He said they have to order the parts and it takes three weeks! That sounds a whole lot more complicated than most of the recall stories I've read here. What's the straight scoop?
They order replacement keys and remove the existing keys from your two thobs, then give you the thobs back with no key and the new keys on a separate keychain. Why would he tell you they are going to reprogram the same thob he's giving back to you.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:49 AM   #23
GONMAD510

Quote:
They cut new keys for me and gave me back my fobs with the original keys still in them. All of the keys work for me.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #24
ls1 prerunner

Drives: 14 ZL1 w/ Recaro seats
I purchased mine used so the recall had been done. I did some searching around and the key is actually made with the key fob blade. I stuck the dremel to the plastic, got the cut key blade out, and used a roll pin to insert it back on the fob. I kept one set of keys like the recall and my daily use set has the fob with the integrated key. Similar to this: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...89#post8073289
ls1 prerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #25
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONMAD510 View Post
I had my recall done on my keys. I got 2 new regular keys and they didn't even bother taking the keys out of the key fobs. Now I have 4 keys to the car.
Can you clarify what you mean by regular keys ...did you just get 2 new keys on rings attached to your existing fobs or 2 new keys on a rings attached to 2 new fobs?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #26
camguynj

Quote:
What ZMEnow said " They order replacement keys and remove the existing keys from your two thobs, then give you the thobs back with no key and the new keys on a separate keychain. Why would he tell you they are going to reprogram the same thob he's giving back to you"

Call the dealer and ask them explain why would they have to do any programming? The new key is ONLY a cut blade ( no transponder chip, etc is in it!) It's only new FOBs that needs to be programmed. As you're getting back your existing FOB with the new cut key blade attached to it on a chain make them explain why would they have to re-program your exsiting fob?

Post back on what the dealer tells you. Me thinks

Last edited by camguynj; 01-06-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #27
GONMAD510

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by regular keys ...did you just get 2 new keys on rings attached to your existing fobs or 2 new keys on a rings attached to 2 new fobs?
They gave me 2 brand new keys on rings plus they gave me my original fobs back with the keys still installed in them.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #28
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONMAD510 View Post
They gave me 2 brand new keys on rings plus they gave me my original fobs back with the keys still installed in them.
So you still only have 2 fobs ?