Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
Davidd_SS

Drives: LSX FTW
Audio Gurus Help!

Alright, so when it comes to audio I know the basics.
However, I purchased the x3 T harness and ordered a Kicker CX series amp to power my 12" Memphis Sub.
So here's my problem, I'm getting engine/alternator whine noise coming from the speakers. I know it's engine noise because it's only happening when car is running and gets progressively louder when rpms go up. I'm using 8Guage positive and negative wire straight to the battery, I've tried moving the ground but the noise still doesn't go away. I've tried lowering the gain ect on the amp as well but still no fix. Very frustrating. Would the PAC SNI-1 fix this or what the hell is going on?
Old 02-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Engine noise is a PITA, there are many causes but here are some basic rules which will correct 99% of all ground problems and generally speaking, buying a noise loop/filter is a last resort.

1. Do not ever let the power or ground wires cross or touch the RCA cables
  2. If #1 is not possible, make sure both have adequate shielding and they cross at 90 degrees
  3. Do not let any of the wires (power/ground/RCA) coil, they should be relatively 'straight' runs of proper length
  4. Purchase quality shielded RCA cables like the JL Audio Marine or KnuKonceptz. Those $5 Walmart special or "red/white" patch cables suck
  5. Power, Ground, RCA and Speaker cables should be continuous with no cuts, breaks or patching
  6. Move the ground, if currently grounded at the battery, move it to the vehicle chassis or vice-versa
  7. Use solder on connection ends of the power, ground and potentially speaker wires
  8. Use a noise gate or ground filter like the PAC SNI-1
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Davidd_SS

Thanks Snowman, I suspect it has to do with the RCA cables... since it goes away if they are disconnected. they are the crossover type of RCA's not the cheap straight ones but not sure of branding. I have moved the ground around with no luck. the RCA's were looped and getting hot, they are pretty long. I will try to find shorter ones. the heat on them went away when I switched the hi-lo input on the amp. on the x3 t harness does it matter what rca's you use? left rear or front? and what should it be set on the amp? low or high input? I have decided to try to a ground loop, if it isn't fixed I will try another amp?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
Unless you have unshielded RCA cables, I would be surprised if that is where the issue lies. Alternator noise typically is on the power source. That is where you want the filter... on the power source to the amp. I'm not familiar with PAC's products, but something like the NF10 is probably what you're looking for.

EDIT: As for the amp, the gain should be all the way up. Your hi/lo switch will determine how much sub gets into the mix, and you will have to do that by ear. The fact that your rca cables got hot when messing with that switch is crazy. I would make sure those are properly shielded audio cables. Also I see that the amp has both input and output rca connectors. Make sure you are plugging yours into the correct jacks... the inputs. Beyond that, I would use the rear speaker outputs on your harness. Most head units send more bass to the rear speakers.

Last edited by Jazzzed; 02-02-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
Davidd_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
Unless you have unshielded RCA cables, I would be surprised if that is where the issue lies. Alternator noise typically is on the power source. That is where you want the filter... on the power source to the amp. I'm not familiar with PAC's products, but something like the NF10 is probably what you're looking for.

EDIT: As for the amp, the gain should be all the way up. Your hi/lo switch will determine how much sub gets into the mix, and you will have to do that by ear. The fact that your rca cables got hot when messing with that switch is crazy. I would make sure those are properly shielded audio cables. Also I see that the amp has both input and output rca connectors. Make sure you are plugging yours into the correct jacks... the inputs. Beyond that, I would use the rear speaker outputs on your harness. Most head units send more bass to the rear speakers.
well, I have found the culprit. I thought it was an issue with my HU, a couple of days ago I noticed when plugging in my phone or plugging in an aux cord or streaming via Bluetooth the front left speaker would have no sound coming from it. oddly enough if you switch it to FM it would work correctly. I haven't figured out the cause of that yet, however I believe my rca cables were faulty or had a small splice somewhere or were too long. I switched to different rca cables and the noise went away! but I believe I might need a new hu