Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #15
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
What do you guys use for dash cams? I've been thinking of getting one for years, and with the stuff I've seen lately I could definitely use one! I saw one of the events like in the OP's video just today.
I had a cheap one which lasted about a year then went with this

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/s...dian-sg9665gc/

It's a bit pricey but is well built, takes excellent video, and tucks up nicely at the top of the windshield.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #16
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
I went with this one:
https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/viofo-a119/

Highly rated and "decently" priced. Also fits well. I can't see it behind the mirror from the drivers seat. There are 2 different versions of this camera - one with GPS and one without. Just cost $10 more for the one with GPS and that adds the ability to provide speed/location.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #17
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
I dont think any of them tap into the car and record the speed and other stuff. I want one for when on the race track. Dont care about on the street. I have ago pro. Dont want to mess with the complication of using harrys lap timer as well.
frenchsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #18
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
I dont think any of them tap into the car and record the speed and other stuff. I want one for when on the race track. Dont care about on the street. I have ago pro. Dont want to mess with the complication of using harrys lap timer as well.
While I was in North Carolina, I was tracked with this guy a couple of times. He has a pretty nice setup, perhaps what you're looking for.

From the video description:
Camera: DriftHD with external mic
Data Recorder: Samsung S4 using Torqe App
Overlay Software: RaceRender3

I pass him at around 1:35

Old 01-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #19
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I picked this from Amazon a few weeks ago.
OldShark Full HD 1080P Dash Cam 170 Degree Wide Angle 3 Inch Dashboard Camcorder Vehicle Camera Support G-Sensor, Night Vision, WDR, Parking Guard, Loop Recording 32GB SD Card Included.

Works very well for what I need.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:52 PM   #20
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Here's a good one...
Old 01-29-2017, 11:34 PM   #21
GTIanZ28

Holy Shit Mr Twisty
With that line of cars what the hell was that guy attempting to accomplish?

I'll pass on a 2 lane highway but always error on the side of caution. That was suicidal.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #22
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
Holy Shit Mr Twisty
With that line of cars what the hell was that guy attempting to accomplish?

I'll pass on a 2 lane highway but always error on the side of caution. That was suicidal.
That's highway 58 out of Barstow, first thing in the morning. Two lanes and 55mph, a bad mix for some drivers.

Here's a good one... see how quick you can spot the deer...

Old 01-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #23
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
That's highway 58 out of Barstow, first thing in the morning. Two lanes and 55mph, a bad mix for some drivers.

Here's a good one... see how quick you can spot the deer...

Spotted about half way down the hill 22 sec. or so . I probably would have hit it due to day dreaming on that road . Pretty but straight as an arrow.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #24
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

This happened to me on my trip out to Milwaukee from Seattle for Thanksgiving. Didn't get it on dashcam though.

I've had encounters with deer before...lots of times. Most involve braking/stopping before hitting the deer. I've actually hit a deer just once, though 2 others turned around and run into the side of my vehicle with no damage to the car.

Heading out to Milwaukee, I had a more unique deer encounter which could have turned out very badly.

It was on Route 2 in Montana before turning south for Billings and was getting towards twilight. One lane each way on a long straight, which is pretty common in eastern Montana. I was going east, and a SUV was coming west, with a big rig following behind about 15-20 car lengths. Speed limit was 65, I was doing 68 on cruise control.

Though there were low trees on the other side of the road, I was able to easily see 3 deer approaching the road in a line. I started braking and flashed my lights 3 times about 1/4 second after I saw the deer. I was easily able to stop about 20-25 feet from the line of three deer that entered the road shortly before I finished stopping. I didn't really stop but kept rolling until I was closer and stopped maybe 10 feet away.

The SUV came to a hard Anti-Lock stop just before almost hitting the first deer to cross. It kept crossing in front of me to the other side...as did the next deer, which stopped in my lane and turned around and went back in front of the SUV. The 3rd deer also stopped in front of the SUV. Meanwhile...the Semi is still coming and braking hard as well.

All this was happening in slow motion as soon as I saw the deer, and I somehow had the presence of mind to stomp on the accelerator and pull as close to the shoulder as possible without going off the road.

The Semi pulled into my lane as soon as he could and didn't come to a stop until most of his truck had gone by the SUV.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #25
Mr Twisty

That little guy caught me off guard..... fortunately he survived.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:03 AM   #26
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Old 02-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #27
Mr Twisty

That fight started before they passed the truck methinks.....
Old 03-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #28
GTIanZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
You are a good man for stopping and reporting the accident. Did they catch the driver of the truck? Everyone get out ok?