Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #15
TOO.BAD

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO.BAD View Post
JRE did the install and did a custom tune on the Dyno.
Jannetty said the car needed no upgrade on the heat exchanger, Chevrolet did a good job on that. He must be right because I have done 20 runs in one day at the Drag Strip hot lapping 5 runs in a row with no noticeable difference on time slips. I also drove my car to and from the Drag Strip, 2+ hours each way.
Mild to Wild Switch, Roto Fab CAI, Big Gulp, Washer Relocation, Ported Throttle Body, Rough Idle Road Race Cam, Supporting Valve Train Upgrade, Dynatech Long Tube Headers Ceramic Coated and High Flow Converters, Injector Dynamics 1025 cc, 22.5%Overdrive Balancer Pulley, Fuel Pump Voltage Booster, Moroso Catch Can.
Jannetty Installed and Tuned.

675 RWHP 630 RWTQ 11.325 1/4 Mile Time @ 124.53 MPH
TOO.BAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #16
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
The cam is my favorite part of the build. It makes the ZL1 sound like the muscle car that it is. When you have guys stop at a light and stick their heads out of the window to listen to your lope, it is a whole different perma-grin. I don't have any issues with my car. I have the Ron Davis heat exchanger and the D3 reservoir. The D3 defiantly helps when filling and burping the coolant system for your supercharger.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #17
Liquidity
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by owhite3003 View Post
The cam is my favorite part of the build. It makes the ZL1 sound like the muscle car that it is. When you have guys stop at a light and stick their heads out of the window to listen to your lope, it is a whole different perma-grin.
I could care less what others think of my Camara. What I do to my vehicle is for me, not others. Why is it so many of you guys try to impress others? I never understood that. if anything I prefer to be low key. Also, the Police are trained to follow loud Cars.
Liquidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #18
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
I own the Z/28 and performance is great and the idea of a Cam would be nice but at this point in time I cannot justify the extra noise Cams make plus the possibility of devaluing the Car since the Z/28 is considered a Collector Car now. Bottom line maybe in the future. Redline Performance does has a good reputation. Best of luck.
Quote:
I could care less what others think of my Camara. What I do to my vehicle is for me, not others. Why is it so many of you guys try to impress others? I never understood that. if anything I prefer to be low key. Also, the Police are trained to follow loud Cars.
Yeah, that has jealous written all over it. Because the Z28 is about as low key as you can get and you sure didn't hesitate to point that out for no other reason than to impress anyone. LOL.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #19
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370zyzfr1 View Post
Anyone have regrets about a cam install?

I have a JRE smooth idle cam package I have scheduled to be installed in a week or so. Before I have them crack open the engine I wanted to see if anyone has had any issues with any cam install. Something about cracking open the engine for the first time... I've got my installer lined up who has done a lot of these.

Also l, what should I be doing for cooling? I don't have anything done yet. I've heard about heat exchangers and reservoirs. What is a reservoir?

I have the new 125 package now. Headers. Id850, rotofab. 18% od pulley. Jms regulator.

Thoughts?

I doubt you'll find anyone who regrets getting a cam. It's all that and bag of chips. x10.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #20
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
Quote:
I didn't do it for you to be impressed or anyone else. I did it to get over 714 whp. Now that it is done, it is my favorite mod and that is what I explained in my quote. Don't have to worry about the cops since I don't drive like an idiot. Who buys a bad ass Camaro and not expect it to draw attention? Thanks but no thanks for your opinion about my opinion.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #21
d454brisson

Drives: 2014 ZL1
i would argue for the rough idle versus smooth idle, if doing the work get as much out of it as you can. I am assuming there is a perf diff between the two as idle quality is typically a lobe centerline issue.

With a 6M i have no issues with the rough idle and the package comes together nicely. I am doing the final rounds of email tuning with Ted and it is datalogging perfectly. Drivability and start up are great and the lope is def a good sound.

DB 2014 ZL1
d454brisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #22
TOO.BAD

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 Convertible
Quote:
Hey Liquidity, What are you doing slumming on the ZL1 Forum?
Stick with the Z28 Forum. There are much less people for you to piss off!
Mild to Wild Switch, Roto Fab CAI, Big Gulp, Washer Relocation, Ported Throttle Body, Rough Idle Road Race Cam, Supporting Valve Train Upgrade, Dynatech Long Tube Headers Ceramic Coated and High Flow Converters, Injector Dynamics 1025 cc, 22.5%Overdrive Balancer Pulley, Fuel Pump Voltage Booster, Moroso Catch Can.
Jannetty Installed and Tuned.

675 RWHP 630 RWTQ 11.325 1/4 Mile Time @ 124.53 MPH
TOO.BAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #23
370zyzfr1

Drives: 2014 Camaro Zl1 Tripple Black!
Quote:
Originally Posted by d454brisson View Post
i would argue for the rough idle versus smooth idle, if doing the work get as much out of it as you can. I am assuming there is a perf diff between the two as idle quality is typically a lobe centerline issue.

With a 6M i have no issues with the rough idle and the package comes together nicely. I am doing the final rounds of email tuning with Ted and it is datalogging perfectly. Drivability and start up are great and the lope is def a good sound.

DB 2014 ZL1
For me anyway I definitely don't want a rough idle. I want it to sound and feel close to stock when driving as a daily driver. But have the extra power when I want it. I could possibly do e85 next year. But that will be it. Is it worth trying to do e85 right now or hold off until I get this done? I am not even sure I am going to do e85 just contemplating.
370zyzfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #24
rmcbee

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I had a BTR Stage 3 installed a month ago and I just love driving the car and the looks and comments it gets. Plus putting a cam in a ZL1, wow, not everybody can do it or have the balls to do it.
rmcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #25
HAMMERHEAD15

Drives: 15 ZL1 red hot A6, 17 ZL1 Black A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO.BAD View Post
Jannetty said the car needed no upgrade on the heat exchanger, Chevrolet did a good job on that. He must be right because I have done 20 runs in one day at the Drag Strip hot lapping 5 runs in a row with no noticeable difference on time slips. I also drove my car to and from the Drag Strip, 2+ hours each way.
Let your car cool completely down before making your first pass and you will
Be 3 tenths faster. Then hot lap it and watch your times go down from there! Anyone that tells you there is no heat issue with these cars has no idea what they are talking about!
HAMMERHEAD15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:03 PM   #26
Liquidity
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Yeah, that has jealous written all over it. Because the Z28 is about as low key as you can get and you sure didn't hesitate to point that out for no other reason than to impress anyone. LOL.
Please allow me to respond. My cheesy cheap gold bowties are removed so people think it's a regular 5th Gen Camaro. Black Car. No big deal. All I am saying is the constant >turns heads-real attention getter-girls look< stuff gets old around here. Rant over, thank you.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:51 PM   #27
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
Only thing i ever regreted when modifying a car was turning my 2000 ws6 into a drag car... turning my only performance car into something you can only run once or twice a month was a bummer to me...

Was awesome fun at the track, but for the other 28 days a month got tired of seeing it sit
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:39 PM   #28
Liquidity
Account Suspended

What if your big aftermarket Cam breaks? Then what? Your warranty is voided so you can't go back to the Dealer. Cams are a gamble. That is a hard pill to swallow.