Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #29
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
OP, This site, IMO, is one of the best you can find if you are interested in working on your Camaro. I've learned a helluva lot from the good men and women on CAMARO5. From the DIY to the Q&A's. This site contains a wealth of knowledge, know-how, and experience. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #30
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
You know that is really a great question!
I am a die hard do it your selfer! . This includes car repair, bodywork and paint, home improvement ect.
As a kid I would hand my dad or brothers tools etc, but honestly don't remember really being taught anything. I was always into model building as a kid, and think that helped me reason assembly and dis-assembly.

I don't exactly know for sure how a mastered any of this , part might be genetic and part stubborn wanting to figure things out for myself? Been doing it so long not really sure how I know thus stuff lol

Still always learning new stuff, the technology on new cars has changed so much, that I now have to research via forums or utube.

Last edited by Kens ss; 04-25-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Kens ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 PM   #31
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
IMO cars of the 60's to early 70's were much easier to work on without all the computer stuff. Just about any repair could be done at home with just a few tools and a Chiltons.
Yep! Now, you need a computer programmer/software, code readers ect and "special" tools to work on them.

Here's my advice:
Can you put the key into the ignition and turn it? Can you drive? Well drive down to the dealership and tell them whats wrong with your car. They'll fix it!

Buy the service manuals. That'll help you know how to do a few things.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:07 AM   #32
kev618

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
IMO cars of the 60's to early 70's were much easier to work on without all the computer stuff. Just about any repair could be done at home with just a few tools and a Chiltons.
Before there was Youtube and sites like this, I replaced an engine in my 89 Blazer with the Chiltons. The process was 2 pages (one on engine removal and one on installing) and that's all that was needed,lol.
kev618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:48 AM   #33
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Here's my advice:
Can you put the key into the ignition and turn it? Can you drive? Well drive down to the dealership and tell them whats wrong with your car. They'll fix it!
That's fine as far as getting stuff that broke/wore out back into OE working condition, but typically won't get you very far once aftermarket parts, mods, and adjustments are concerned.

Quote:
Buy the service manuals. That'll help you know how to do a few things.
True, and it may help you avoid getting taken to the cleaners for stuff you can't do . . . just don't try to provide the shop with a diagnosis. Provide symptoms and the conditions under which they occur (the manual may suggest things to try/look for). Use your knowledge to ask questions when it sounds like a suggested repair task doesn't seem to be related to your problem.

Norm
Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #34
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
only thing to be careful about taking parts from an ss is the front fascia difference.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote