Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Question BMR Swaybar Settings. What settings ya runnin?

Just seeing what anyone who has the BMR sway bars have their setting on?

I started out with both front and rear in the middle as suggested.

I later wanted to move the rear link to the end, but a redesign was needed to clear a lil nub on the spindle. now with the redesigned end links, I've had it on soft in the rear (as in the pic), & still in the middle on the front.

Anyone have any experience or preferences they're runnin?

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Installing mine tomorrow. Starting full soft on both ends
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #3
grnflash

Drives: Hard
I'm running medium (front and rear) and loving it. it's obviously a lot tighter, but each corner still has some spring to it. It doesn't feel like it's 100% rigid, but the the rebound is a lot quicker over bumps. Thankfully, that only becomes apparent with one-sided potholes or dips.

I widened my wheels/tires at the same time I put them on, and the combination works beautifully together. I know why GM couldn't make this the standard option, but they by-God should have! I have MRC, and the floatiness over high-speed curves is gone.

Touring isn't scary anymore in fast/tight corners, sport feels like the former track setting, and track is an absolute monster. I was worried about the the bars/tire-width unsettling the chassis, but nothing could be further from the truth. It's virtually neutral at almost any speed and corner, and very easy to modulate the power/slip angle at the rear end.

Next weekend, I'm going to re-lube the bushings and try the stiffness setting (and getting a slightly more track-oriented alignment (within reason). If it doesn't work out, I'll know I can dial-back to this setting and be perfectly happy.

Last edited by grnflash; 05-17-2017 at 12:57 AM. Reason: typos only
grnflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse

Appreciate the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmb View Post
Installing mine tomorrow. Starting full soft on both ends
Do you have the bmr endlinks? Lemme know if ya run into anny fitment iasues on the rear at full soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnflash View Post
I'm running medium (front and rear) and loving it. it's obviously a lot tighter, but each corner still has some spring to it. It doesn't feel like it's 100% rigid, but the the rebound is a lot quicker over bumps. Thankfully, that only becomes apparent with one-sided potholes or dips.

I widened my wheels/tires at the same time I put them on, and the combination works beautifully together. I know why GM couldn't make this the standard option, but they by-God should have! I have MRC, and the floatiness over high-speed curves is gone.

Touring isn't scary anymore in fast/tight corners, sport feels like the former track setting, and track is an absolute monster. I was worried about the the bars/tire-width unsettling the chassis, but nothing could be further from the truth. It's virtually neutral at almost any speed and corner, and very easy to modulate the power/slip angle at the rear end.

Next weekend, I'm going to re-lube the bushings and try the highest stiffness setting (and getting a slightly more track-oriented alignment (with reason). If it doesn't work out, I'll know I can dial-back to this setting and be perfectly happy.
Good stuff. Thats where i started out at, ive had the rear on soft for a few weeks and was thinking about changing back to stiffer as well. I also went to a wider wheel...although not really wide, just a half inch square all the way around.

Thinking of toying with the heavy settings just to try it out.

The alignment is the key i def need. Its still at stock settings, which i am sure has drifted since. How agressive are you planning for the track alignment? 2+ of negative camber in the front?

I wanna try 1.5, which im reading is around what the 1le comes with stock.

If i go further than -1.5 degrees, ground control has camber plates. Hopefully it works with the stock suspension.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 05-16-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Appreciate the replies!

Do you have the bmr endlinks? Lemme know if ya run into anny fitment iasues on the rear at full soft.

I do have BMR endlinks. I ended up going with medium setting front and rear though. No clearance issues that I can see.

Car feels great! Super solid and confidence inspiring - although only a short drive since I got them on.

Combined with coil overs and square stance wheels with 285's all around - this car feels like it's on rails. ;-)
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Just so people know, you have a V6 correct? The only reason I bring it up is because what you run may not work as well for a V8 car and vice-versa because of the weight distribution. Cheers.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #7
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmb View Post
I do have BMR endlinks. I ended up going with medium setting front and rear though. No clearance issues that I can see.

Car feels great! Super solid and confidence inspiring - although only a short drive since I got them on.

Combined with coil overs and square stance wheels with 285's all around - this car feels like it's on rails. ;-)
good stuff. I know coilovers help a huge bit as well. used to have BC's on the 5th gen. world of difference vs stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Just so people know, you have a V6 correct? The only reason I bring it up is because what you run may not work as well for a V8 car and vice-versa because of the weight distribution. Cheers.
Yuppers, sure do. with most setups, though I tweak whats there, to car's level. the avg person on here, usually weighs about 200lbs, give or take 30-40lbs. generally speaking, i'm legit about the weight of two people on avg. so any overall weight comparisons between a v6 and ss, my weight usually makes up the difference

granted I know distribution is just as important with cross weighing the car (coilover setups) and balance will be different.

just looking to see overall what people are experiencing with em.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #8
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
SS, GM performance lowering kit, BMR adjustable sway, stock endlinks.

Started with both soft and had a slight push. Currently soft in the front, middle in the rear.

Based on the G meter in the HUD, the same turn, a right handed high camber turn I've gone from .96 factory, .98 both soft and 1.01 after going stiffer in the rear. This is on the factory SS tires/wheels with 4mm spacers all around.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #9
grnflash

Quote:
Good stuff. Thats where i started out at, ive had the rear on soft for a few weeks and was thinking about changing back to stiffer as well. I also went to a wider wheel...although not really wide, just a half inch square all the way around.

Thinking of toying with the heavy settings just to try it out.

The alignment is the key i def need. Its still at stock settings, which i am sure has drifted since. How agressive are you planning for the track alignment? 2+ of negative camber in the front?

I wanna try 1.5, which im reading is around what the 1le comes with stock.

If i go further than -1.5 degrees, ground control has camber plates. Hopefully it works with the stock suspension.
I labored over that decision for a while (alignment specs). On the one hand, it's my DD, so I don't want to get so crazy that I burn the inside edge on a road trip. But on the other hand, I'm blessed with some pretty "fun" roads in my area, and I drive it pretty aggressively in the corners on my daily commute. So what I've come up with is a little bit of a compromise between vanilla factory specs and a full on camber-plated track setup. It basically looks like the GM *track* specs, except slightly more caster (I was surprised, but as others have mentioned, there's actually a track alignment recommendation in the manual).

My Target alignment:
Camber Front (left & right): -1.6
Camber Rear (left & right): -1.3
Toe (per corner): 0.05
Total toe (per axle): 0.1
Caster (left & right): 7.4
Steer ahead & thrust angle: 0.0

I think the manual says that track setup can go to -1.65 (camber), so I think you ought to be able to do at least that much w/out plates.

Only one I'm not sure about is the toe. Some guys want it perfectly zero. I'm guessing that a little bit will help prevent wandering under braking, but I'd love to hear some feedback from anybody that can tell me what the real-world difference is between a little bit of toe vs. zero toe. ...like, am I gonna notice it in feel, tire-wear, etc.?

Last edited by grnflash; 05-17-2017 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Clarification
grnflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #10
grnflash

Quote:
Yes, I have the bmr endlinks, and yes, I had interference with one of the casting bosses on the hub when I tried full-soft. Thankfully, I never regretted starting at medium.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
locktyght

Drives: 2023 LT2 Redline
Quote:
Just seeing what anyone who has the BMR sway bars have their setting on?

I started out with both front and rear in the middle as suggested.

I later wanted to move the rear link to the end, but a redesign was needed to clear a lil nub on the spindle. now with the redesigned end links, I've had it on soft in the rear (as in the pic), & still in the middle on the front.

Anyone have any experience or preferences they're runnin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnflash View Post
Yes, I have the bmr endlinks, and yes, I had interference with one of the casting bosses on the hub when I tried full-soft. Thankfully, I never regretted starting at medium.

I have slight interference with the little casting nipples on both sides after being on track, settings are in the middle, no way I could move the links to soft without grinding down those castings, slight redesign is needed to the end-links. I have adjustable fyi
locktyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #12
BMR Suspension

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
I have slight interference with the little casting nipples on both sides after being on track, settings are in the middle, no way I could move the links to soft without grinding down those castings, slight redesign is needed to the end-links. I have adjustable fyi
we recently made a revision to the end links to clear those little humps. You must have the old style end links...
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #13
BMR Suspension

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Normally i recommend starting with both bars in the middle hole. This gives you room in either direction (front and rear) to make adjustments to achieve the desired feel. If the car has a little bit of push, or if it's a little loose, you have plenty of adjustability to dial in the over/understeer characteristics to exactly how you want it.

If anyone needs some more in depth help with this please let me know!

Thanks,

Pete
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #14
locktyght

Drives: 2023 LT2 Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Suspension View Post
we recently made a revision to the end links to clear those little humps. You must have the old style end links...
Just noticed that PolynesianPowerhouse had the eye bolt ones, indeed I do have the old ones, sucks to be on the early run!

But I Gotta have it, gotta have it, gotta have it, no time for R&D
locktyght is offline   Reply With Quote