Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #15
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I tell this story here on occasion...had a friend in the 1970's who drove a 1973 Pontiac Grandville with a 455. He worked at a dealership. He beat the LIVING S@#T out of that car every time he turned it on. But he changed the oil every Friday - because he could, and it never failed him.

And our engines are light years ahead of a 1973 big block, at least tolerance-wise. So yes, good fluids go a long way.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #16
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Get a catch can.

Ha, there it is!
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #17
Gstick

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by amboy49 View Post
You floor it 90% of the time from a light ? I expect that constantly losing your license for reckless driving will help keep the mileage low and maintenance less frequently necessary.

Gstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #18
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Floor it for fun occasionally, sure, but race to the next red light, stupid. Wasting breaks & gas, silliness. I feel like waving to the bonehead that 'takes off', stops way before me as I coast up to the red light next to them, but this is an open carry state.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #19
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Quote:
You floor it 90% of the time from a light ? I expect that constantly losing your license for reckless driving will help keep the mileage low and maintenance less frequently necessary.
bwahahahaha
Old 07-02-2017, 12:20 AM   #20
IkoIko
IkoIko

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to IkoIko
^ What he said...
IkoIko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:39 AM   #21
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
While the car sit on an unprotected impound lot...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:21 AM   #22
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
While the car sit on an unprotected impound lot...
Impound lots are not unprotected. There is always a guy at the gate that needs a Benjamin.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #23
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPP!mvp View Post
I am a pretty aggressive driver. I cant help but to stab out once the light turns green. I floor it 90% of the time I drive. Is there a such thing as driving too hard? Or are these cars built to be driven in such way?
No, these cars are not built to be driven this way. Yes, they are tough, they are built for performance, but only to a point.

Driving aggressively, as you describe, puts a lot of stress on just about every mechanical system in the car, from motor mounts to differential to wheel bearings. It's like slamming the door to your house hard every time you come and go, eventually the knob assembly is going to fall apart and the door frame and hinges are going to mis-align.

Drag racing is about the roughest auto sport when it comes to engines, which in essence, is what you're doing. At the very top of the sport, top fuel, they have to rebuild the engine after every pass because of the stress. Now our engines aren't that powerful, but the idea is the same.

The short answer is yes, by driving WOT and punching it off nearly every light, you are tremendously shortening the life of your powertrain.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #24
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Mr. two posts sounds like a hard up driver, I never floor mine, if I did it would be at a track and I would still have to watch which way the rear walks even with mods to the suspension. Its of course right side goes right, hit gears too hard get fishy..but floor it.. that's asking to shred tires for a built v-8, and so a hard up floor it all the time v-6 driver well that's kind of hard on the engine and that's from a guy who has to has his springs every 25k or so just because his lifts so high.... SO yes you need to change your fluids more often, ( LOL I use driven racing oil myself), and you want to look at the posts about the most common issues for a v-6 and know they come in two flavors and find which one may poke its ugly head up first for your as its a crap shoot flogging the stock engine..... you may want to read up in the v-6 engine area and search past posts and good luck to you. Flooring it..LOL, not something I do as to press my accelerator to the floor makes it that much farther to lift my foot when I shift in daily driving around town as shifting is literally a count; one two three four deal practically hitting my shift light and then I am at 100 so WTF........0-60 in 3.5 seconds, 0-100 in about 5 it seems like, not flooring it just being real its not a thing I can do in daily street driving but I am not Biff Tannen either.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...AF&FORM=VRDGAR
Old 07-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #25
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Get a friggin V-8 and your probs are over...LS3 has so much TQ off idle it will cure your (gotta floor it) probs and if that doesn't, getting new rear tires all the time will!

Peace Out!
Old 07-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #26
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
Get a friggin V-8 and your probs are over...LS3 has so much TQ off idle it will cure your (gotta floor it) probs and if that doesn't, getting new rear tires all the time will!

Peace Out!
This is so true....torque is a huge factor....guys try to get big hp numbers but nobody mentions torque. No need to hammer it.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #27
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
The SS is built like a Timex. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

The OP has a V6. Whole different purpose.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #28
NPP!mvp

Drives: 2014 1LT RS
Quote:
Its always that one ***** with some ol grandpa shit to say lol. Shut yo bitchass up
NPP!mvp is offline   Reply With Quote