Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #29
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Is it not dangerous to ride with no headrest if you got hit?

My wife complained about the headrest angle (I dont have a problem with it). I added this pad and solved the problem:

TanYoo Black Leather and Memory Foam Car Headrest Pillow Breathable Dog Bone Shape Ne... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2J754P..._XyG1Eu8tlUzpX
Cannot drive around worrying about getting rear ended, just need to drive super defensive to avoid getting rear ended. I got rear ended in 1966, 17 yrs old. Have driven over 1 million miles since then (road job with a car) and have not even had a close call.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #30
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Cannot drive around worrying about getting rear ended, just need to drive super defensive to avoid getting rear ended. I got rear ended in 1966, 17 yrs old. Have driven over 1 million miles since then (road job with a car) and have not even had a close call.
Not sure how defensive you can be about getting rear-ended in a car? I've driven about as many miles in field service. Maybe moving to the shoulder in a panic-stop situation but they guy behind you could do the same thing.

How about one of these?

Does the flip-the-foam-around trick still allow the headrest cover to fit properly in the correct orientation? Has anyone tried bending the posts?

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #31
Coach0313

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro RS
I would not want to drive around with out one. I only took mine off to put new seat covers on. I drove it one day without it due to not finishing before I left for work. It sucked without it.
Coach0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #32
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Is it not dangerous to ride with no headrest if you got hit?

My wife complained about the headrest angle (I dont have a problem with it). I added this pad and solved the problem:

TanYoo Black Leather and Memory Foam Car Headrest Pillow Breathable Dog Bone Shape Ne... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2J754P..._XyG1Eu8tlUzpX
Hell yes it is! Whiplash is not good at all and can easily ruin your life.

I have to shake my head when I read things like "Oh I've driven a million miles and never got rear ended so I'll be fine". Well, most of the time when people get badly hurt it only had to happen once, and I can guarantee it was a big surprise to them when it did!
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #33
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach0313 View Post
I would not want to drive around with out one. I only took mine off to put new seat covers on. I drove it one day without it due to not finishing before I left for work. It sucked without it.
Mine have been out for 2000 miles and love it.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #34
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Keep in mind a few things:

1. If you’re rear ended, I believe in all states that’s automatically the fault of the driver behind you. When their insurance company finds you removed your federally mandated headrests, they’re probably going to put up a good fight on paying for your whiplash medical bills. And frankly if I was on a jury I’d side with the insurance company.

2. If you have a passenger and they get hurt? You could have serious liability issues and YOUR insurance company would put up a fight. Might even drop you.

Removing the headrests is just like removing the airbags or seatbelts. I doubt anyone here would do that so why take out the headrests.

You assume all responsibility and libility for injuries to yourself and others even if the accident is not your fault because you knowingly/purposefully removed/defeated a federally mandated safety feature.

I can hear you guys rolling your eyes at me right now and mumbling “I’ll take that chance”.... yeah, chances are you’ll never be rear ended. I never thought I’d be. Then I was, in my 2009 Accord coupe. As they say, “$hit happens”

Last edited by fastball; 10-28-2017 at 08:58 PM.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #35
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Zero interest in removing the headrest. I simply want my head facing forward not down at a 15 degree angle. My '14 Silverado is just as bad.

On another note many years ago I rearended someone who cut in front of me and slammed on his brakes due to a car pulling into a driveway that he did not see. I rearended him but the pizza driver pulling into the driveway saw the whole thing and testified what happened. I was not at fault.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #36
teesee150

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmancha003 View Post
Check out the leatherseats.com install video of the camaro interior. there is a walkthrough on how to remove the headrest. unfortunately, you would need to cut the skin off the headrest, but you can then remove the inner bar holding everything in place.
http://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=7keoR5LXt_c
That is completely unnecessary. All he is doing is twisting the rod so that the clip is no longer in the retaining grove. You accomplish the same thing by pulling the clip outward with a pick or screwdriver and not destroying your seats.

If you are standing behind the seat, push the cover down as far as you can. I used a small upholstery tool as it was a bit easier. Once you push it down enough, you will see the clip. Might have to push the foam out of the way as well. Follow the clip LEFT, and towards the front left corner you will see that small circle/hoop sticking out. Put something thru the hoop and pull the clip to the left and back. This will release it from the retaining groove and you can pull the headrest out. It's easier if you have two people and can do each side together. Doing it one side at a time is a bit trickier.

You don't even pull the clip off, just enough to release it from the groove. Then when you install the headrest again, you just push them down and they snap back in place.
teesee150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #37
shogun37

Drives: none
sorry to necro-thread but when you wear a helmet at the track, the default angle is such that it's pressing me forward. The only solution I have is to tilt the seat back but that is decidedly a sub-optimal solution. My 6G Mustang lets me cant the pad to all kinds of different angles to accomodate Helmet vs non. CURSE YOU GM!
shogun37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:41 PM   #38
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun37 View Post
sorry to necro-thread but when you wear a helmet at the track, the default angle is such that it's pressing me forward. The only solution I have is to tilt the seat back but that is decidedly a sub-optimal solution. My 6G Mustang lets me cant the pad to all kinds of different angles to accomodate Helmet vs non. CURSE YOU GM!
Wife's 2016 Traverse has similar variable angle headrests, it's not that GM couldn't do it, they just decided to save a few bucks by leaving that (and lumbar support) off the Camaro seats.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:44 PM   #39
Snowwhite+8

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Exclamation Daily ouch

I have terrible neck and back pain from driving the car with the awful headrests in a unhealthy awkward position.

I have tried many different seat positions. I think it is worse to know what’s causing the issue and not fix it then to not change it and risk an injury from a possible accident.

Anyone have pictures of the headrests flipped around?? Ideally that would provide neck support in an accident without the irritating neck and shoulder chronic pain I have to deal with now.

Thank you for posting this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Don't even have to remove the seat or the seat cover:

USE THIS WISELY AS YOU WILL COMPROMISE YOUR ACCIDENT AND PERSONAL SAFETY IF YOU CHOOSE TO REMOVE THEM FOR A MEASLY PRECIOUS OUNCE OF "COMFORT".

IF YOU CAN'T DRIVE YOUR CAR WITHOUT IT IN PLACE THEN I SUGGEST A DIFFERENT CAR OR A DIFFERENT SEATING POSITION.

USE THIS WISELY AS YOU WILL COMPROMISE YOUR ACCIDENT AND PERSONAL SAFETY IF YOU CHOOSE TO REMOVE THEM FOR A MEASLY PRECIOUS OUNCE OF "COMFORT".

IF YOU CAN'T DRIVE YOUR CAR WITHOUT IT IN PLACE THEN I SUGGEST A DIFFERENT CAR OR A DIFFERENT SEATING POSITION.
Snowwhite+8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:16 PM   #40
Dana3502

Drives: 2017 Camaro V6
I'm trying to upload a pic, but this site isn't letting me attach a jpg. It just wants a URL.
Anyway, my chiropractor could see the improvement after I flipped mine around. It makes the headrest go straight up from the seat rather than forward. It does not angle back, so I believe it is safe.
Dana3502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:25 PM   #41
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
There are couple different ways people sit in vehicles and what i've noticed is that this style will bother some but not others. It's not that people who don't mind them are looking down all of the time, it's that they have the seat reclined a bit and their is a gap behind their neck and shoulders. Those who are bothered tend to want full contact with shoulders and neck and the seat.

I have 200k miles on my 2014 Honda Accord with the same style and have had zero issues with shoulder or neck, but I'm in the category of people that keep the seat slightly reclined and have a gap behind my shoulders and neck. Maybe that's why I'm not bothered by the seats in the Camaro.

I totally get how people with ponytails would find it very annoying regardless of how they sit, but then any headrest would be annoying.

My 1966 MGB has no headrest and very short seats that don't even come up to the top of the shoulders. But that car is a death trap regardless and I think I'd be safer being ejected from the car then to remain trapped in it.

If you remove safety equipment you take on liability. An insurance company can deny claims as a result. They are always looking for a way to not pay.

What I have noticed after 1,000 miles of ownership is some knee pain based on the seating position I'm in with the footwell and relationship of the seat to the pedals. It's like I am twisting my knee joint with how my foot is angled and where my heel rests. I can alleviate it with a different position but it's not what I default to (yet).

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:37 PM   #42
greenz28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS M6, Ford Fiesta ST
https://youtu.be/6fgK2Ddikeg
greenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote