Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #141
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
Yes, well that is the problem. The Mustang and Camaro and Challenger were based on their 1960's or 70's versions. Which actually could be practical daily drivers. Especially the Mustang as it was never originally intended to be a performance car, That came later.

None of the new versions are as practical.
it's just a case of form over function. these cars are built to "look" a certain way. for instance, where would you get more back seat room? shrink front seat room? raise the roof line? make it longer? wider? all of those things could be done, but doing so would drastically alter the look of the car. and the way the car companies look at it, if you want something with more room just buy a midsize. the only real exception to this is the Maxima, but at nearly 50k it's out of reach for most buyers.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #142
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
YEA THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
My passenger seat. It needs a height adjustment.

:l aughabove:
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #143
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
it's just a case of form over function. these cars are built to "look" a certain way. for instance, where would you get more back seat room? shrink front seat room? raise the roof line? make it longer? wider? all of those things could be done, but doing so would drastically alter the look of the car. and the way the car companies look at it, if you want something with more room just buy a midsize. the only real exception to this is the Maxima, but at nearly 50k it's out of reach for most buyers.
Take a look at a 1967-9 Camaro or 1965-66 Mustang. Do they fall short on styling? Hardly. They are highly desireable now just as when they were new. In fact they are what inspired the current versions. Yet they have more trunk space, more rear seat room, better visability, etc.

So how is it that the new versions that are based on them are unable to offer the same when they are basically the same size? Saying it would have ruined the styling is just a lame excuse for not putting the effort into designing it into the car from the beginning.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #144
jd10013

I'm not saying it would have ruined it, just changed it. the space has to come from somewhere. and I'm sure a lot of the safety features and emissions equipment account for some of the lost space between cars from that era and current cars. I highly doubt any of those cars would receive 5 star crash ratings.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #145
CamaroSSpence

Drives: 2012 SS/RS 45th
Rear axles - make them stronger....
Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #146
linc400

Quote:
I'm not saying it would have ruined it, just changed it. the space has to come from somewhere. and I'm sure a lot of the safety features and emissions equipment account for some of the lost space between cars from that era and current cars. I highly doubt any of those cars would receive 5 star crash ratings.

That accounts for some, but not all of it.

For example (this is hard to explain in words) we have a 2006 Monte Carlo SS. Rear seat room is adequate, but it is nearly impossible to get into the back seat. Why? Because the door opening at the rear is convex instead of concave. So instead of a larger opening, it is smaller with a pointed angle that bangs you in the back or leg when you try to get in or out. Would either have changed the look of the car? No, it was just a stupid design. Add to that the fact that you have to manually tilt the seat back forward and then it does not go back to its original position. You have to ratchet and readjust the whole seat back again any time it is moved forward. Does that change the looks? No, it is just a very stupid design.

I'm sure plenty of similar stupid design flaws eat up space in the Camaro but are probably not as obvious.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #147
jd10013

again, go look at your car and tell me where the space would come from. the problem your describing is one of access to the back seat, not a lack of room. to the best of my knowledge, there is no wasted space in the camaro. it's not like the headliner is 8 inches think wasting head room, or that there's 5 inches of insulation between the interior panels and the frame. the lack of space comes a lot form low roof line, and small rear end of the car.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #148
linc400

Quote:
again, go look at your car and tell me where the space would come from. the problem your describing is one of access to the back seat, not a lack of room.
It is not something you can add to the car now. It would have to be designed into it from the beginning. Even so, an extra 2 or 3 inches in length would hardly ruin the entire look of the car. Henry Ford II demanded it be done with the original Mustang, and it hardly killed the looks.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #149
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
It is not something you can add to the car now. It would have to be designed into it from the beginning. Even so, an extra 2 or 3 inches in length would hardly ruin the entire look of the car. Henry Ford II demanded it be done with the original Mustang, and it hardly killed the looks.

it would change the roof line too, or the space would be rather unusable. but I'm sure GM will do just that in the 6th gen. I also look for them deal with some of the blind spots too. but regardless, and inch or two isn't going to make a huge difference back there. just look at the car, from the drivers door back is only maybe a third of the car. the car has a small rear end. that gives it a certain look. changing that will change the look of the car.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #150
linc400

Quote:
it would change the roof line too, or the space would be rather unusable. but I'm sure GM will do just that in the 6th gen. I also look for them deal with some of the blind spots too. but regardless, and inch or two isn't going to make a huge difference back there. just look at the car, from the drivers door back is only maybe a third of the car. the car has a small rear end. that gives it a certain look. changing that will change the look of the car.
Just as an example, if you added one inch to the quarterpanel behind the door, and 2 inches in length to the door, that would give an extra 3 inches to the rear seat without much of a noticeable difference to the car. The roof height would not change at all. It would just be 3 inches longer which would make the roof look even lower.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #151
jd10013

all that's going to do is give you a little more leg room. still going to be very cramped back there.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #152
linc400

Quote:
all that's going to do is give you a little more leg room. still going to be very cramped back there.
Legroom is the big complaint.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #153
Secret Squirrel

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
The ultra thin paint.
+1
Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #154
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
+1
I am noticing that the paint chips very easily. To the point that the car would probably need a respray in 5 years of daily driving
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote