Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #1835
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Which makes it a bit ironic that the original Z/28 powerplant was a 327 block/283 crank crossbreed . . . and that a 3.48" stroke on 4.40" centers crank (where have I seen those numbers before) LS7 derivative works out very nicely to 6.1L . . . Just sayin'.

Norm
True but that was due to displacement limitations on their race engines, not GM trying to make a new engine for production cars.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #1836
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Which makes it a bit ironic that the original Z/28 powerplant was a 327 block/283 crank crossbreed . . . and that a 3.48" stroke on 4.40" centers crank (where have I seen those numbers before) LS7 derivative works out very nicely to 6.1L . . . Just sayin'.

Norm
Ok here is the problem with that, GM wont modify any of the production engines this close to the new generation of V8's.

We aren't saying that engines like this wouldn't be better, its just they are not production available.

Now if more time was left on the clock for the Gen 4 V8's then maybe we would see an engine like this, but then we also need to look at R&D cost for that new engine with only one purpose.

So if we look at the GM production engines available right now our best option is the LS7, not only is it ready to go but it would also keep people working at the wixom engine plant.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #1837
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
I am not an LS7 hater, I simply want GM to do their homework and give us something special..heck the GMPP LS3/525HP would do just fine if they would certify it for regular production! It's only like $800 over an OEM LS3??? If the Gen5 camaro has 3 more years left in it, the cost spread out over that span would be nil and since everyone is saying the are gonna hold out on the GenV engine for the Alpha platform then something has got to give.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #1838
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
I am not an LS7 hater, I simply want GM to do their homework and give us something special..heck the GMPP LS3/525HP would do just fine if they would certify it for regular production! It's only like $800 over an OEM LS3??? If the Gen5 camaro has 3 more years left in it, the cost spread out over that span would be nil and since everyone is saying the are gonna hold out on the GenV engine for the Alpha platform then something has got to give.
If the LS3/525 is smog legal, then use it. I still think of the production LS engines availabe, the LS7 fits the car better than the LS3 or LSA.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #1839
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
But that costs money that has to be passed on to the consumer. GMPP motors are not put through the testing that production motors go through. So more time needs to be taken for preproduction, while the LS7 is ready to go and GM as done a Camaro Concept with it already.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #1840
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Don't bother trying to compile any engine variations on this board, nobody will listen..I know that sounds harsh but I have nothing but sarcasm lately since all I have been saying and no one seems to get the fact that I think GM should step up their game in the engine department. They all want the LS7 and rest on their laurels that is it the biggest, most NA HP in the Camaro. My question always is, do we really need an LS7 in the Z/28 just to COMPETE with the "BOSS'? the resounding answer will be of course or why not. Well I would surely hope that with an engine with 2.0L more in displacement could beat the Boss "302" to me that is just like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Part of the reason to come to these boards is to read, get insider info and speculate..
It's not that we are not listening it's that we are playing the game as its laid out. It all falls under be happy with what you have. What we have is the ability to put together a Z28 using readily available parts. We have for months now years discussed with the aid of certain insiders (whom shall be nameless) what we can and can't do. That being said we've compiled these available pieces and have come to the conclusion of what would produce the best results and bang for the buck for said vehicle. Trust us were listening it's just that it has to make sense.

In regards the unfairness of the engines, we argue the weight issue that "everyone" is so upset about. Also I do believe a certain competitor used a 670 HP engine in their lighter weight car. It uses 15+psi to get it done, maybe a little over the top???
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #1841
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:

How many times do we have to explain the reason why?? I'd love to see a different engine, I think it would be awesome, but given GM/Chevy's modus operandi for the last number of years we don't think it is going to happen. That's why we push for the LS7 here.
Clyde (old geezer)

Last edited by wildpaws; 07-30-2012 at 05:01 PM.
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #1842
Mikes SS

In regards the unfairness of the engines, we argue the weight issue that "everyone" is so upset about. Also I do believe a certain competitor used a 670 HP engine in their lighter weight car. It uses 15+psi to get it done, maybe a little over the top???

Absolutely not at all...that Is Ford's premier car, and they pulled out all the stops to make it such, and with that said if the ZL1 had that much HP it would wipe up the track of the 500 with ease. GM has the better suspension, steering and braking therefore a quicker car on a track. Chevrolet has the Corvette and GOD forbid the Camaro gets that much attention. I can't even imagine what the ZL1 could do if it had an LS9 in it, but that will never happen because the head haunchos worry about stepping on the toes of the Corvette; Ford doesn't have to worry about that.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #1843
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
It's not that we are not listening it's that we are playing the game as its laid out. It all falls under be happy with what you have. What we have is the ability to put together a Z28 using readily available parts. We have for months now years discussed with the aid of certain insiders (whom shall be nameless) what we can and can't do. That being said we've compiled these available pieces and have come to the conclusion of what would produce the best results and bang for the buck for said vehicle. Trust us were listening it's just that it has to make sense.
Fair enough.

I know there's several thousand posts on the topic that I haven't seen, and I think I'm apt to do a little more background research than most.

I guess I'm too used to the ease with which 383's and 372's came about from 400's and 350's, and that there wasn't a whole lot of difference in the end result between what we called a "301" as teens and what Chevy later called a 302.

An LS7 it is, at least for now. Bet it'll be rated a tiny bit differently . . .

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #1844
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:

Absolutely not at all...that Is Ford's premier car, and they pulled out all the stops to make it such, and with that said if the ZL1 had that much HP it would wipe up the track of the 500 with ease. GM has the better suspension, steering and braking therefore a quicker car on a track. Chevrolet has the Corvette and GOD forbid the Camaro gets that much attention. I can't even imagine what the ZL1 could do if it had an LS9 in it, but that will never happen because the head haunchos worry about stepping on the toes of the Corvette; Ford doesn't have to worry about that.
So why worry that a Z28 may have an LS7? Why not let the Boss catch up? Wouldn't it show the Camaro "attention" giving it the Z06's engine?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #1845
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Mike, it's called "progress"...

Imagine having paid $180K for an '06 Ford GT...that now gets outrun by a mere MUSTANG...for ONE THIRD the price! How happy would you be?!

Corvette came out with the ZR1 at 2/3rds the price of the Ford GT...and trampled it! EVERYWHERE! ALL THE TIME!

Now, Ford, in their infinite wisdom, sees an opportunity to do their faithful GT buyers a "favor" by bringing out a Walmart Special Stang, with a 5.77 lb/hp rating, where they spent the majority of their money building a street-freak engine in a warmed-over chassis to marginally out-time (on a road course) a BOSS LS simply because it has freight train power on the straights to overcome its lack of ability in the turns...

Putting an LS9 in a 4100+ lb. Camaro does NOT get you to the 500's 5.77 rating...it would still be over by .5 lb/hp+...and then it would be bargain basement-priced at near-Z06 money...would that make sense?
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #1846
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Don't bother trying to compile any engine variations on this board, nobody will listen..I know that sounds harsh but I have nothing but sarcasm lately since all I have been saying and no one seems to get the fact that I think GM should step up their game in the engine department. They all want the LS7 and rest on their laurels that is it the biggest, most NA HP in the Camaro. My question always is, do we really need an LS7 in the Z/28 just to COMPETE with the "BOSS'? the resounding answer will be of course or why not. Well I would surely hope that with an engine with 2.0L more in displacement could beat the Boss "302" to me that is just like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Part of the reason to come to these boards is to read, get insider info and speculate..
I think that is a little harsh. We know there are some here who want the LS7. Whether it is practical or not at least it's a new idea.

We will not know for sure until we see them head to head, but it looks like the 1LE will compete with the Boss with a measly LS3.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #1847
Mikes SS

Ehhhh sorry guys I was having a bad day and forgot its just fun to come on here for me read tales and stories of what we wish and what we want. I guess I am like most of us here on the "Z/28" niche that is very passionate about cars and Camaro's to be specific. Think of all the dumb things we would be doing if we didn't have this site to dream and speculate..some of us probably will never grow up and we have this new amazing car we get to drive and rekindle our passion for cars..it's been a while I know for me at least to after 3 years owning and driving get in a car and still enjoy it like I was 16..y'all have a good night, happy reading be back tomorrow!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #1848
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Ehhhh sorry guys I was having a bad day and forgot its just fun to come on here for me read tales and stories of what we wish and what we want. I guess I am like most of us here on the "Z/28" niche that is very passionate about cars and Camaro's to be specific. Think of all the dumb things we would be doing if we didn't have this site to dream and speculate..some of us probably will never grow up and we have this new amazing car we get to drive and rekindle our passion for cars..it's been a while I know for me at least to after 3 years owning and driving get in a car and still enjoy it like I was 16..y'all have a good night, happy reading be back tomorrow!

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro