Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #225
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Not really. I have done my homework. I have owned both motors.

Please enlighten us with your experience/knowledge on the subject.
I can't enlighten you with any 5.0 durabilty numbers because quite honestly they do not exsist.

I do know the rod have been, and continue to be the weak link in both the 4.6 & 5.0 ( GT500s are exempt ).

My experience & knowledge on rod exiting the block and rwhp limits of these engines come directly from a non biased tuner here in Illinois who detunes these cars to 425 because he's tired of them exploding on his chassis dyno.

The LS3 can withstand far more power on the stock internals than either the 4.6 or 5.0.

Please understand something, I'm not knocking the new Mustang. Honestly, it's an impressive performing car. What I am knocking is the gushing over a car that's .1 to 2. quicker than the LS3 SS stock for stock. Once either cars owner begins modding all bets are off because then it becomes a question of who has the larger wallet.

All of these numbers thrown around are outstanding for both cars....but ya wanna know what interests me more? Running a nice solid HP & 1/4 mile number while remaining durable without breakage. Could I buuild an insane 10 second car out of my SS, without doubt. Would I have the durability of a high 11 seond car though? Doubtful.

All these cars boil down to choices & opinions....both are solid performing cars, to bicker back and forth over one clear supremacy over another is futile.

Enjoy what ya drive, tip your hat to the other guy if he's faster. As long as it's american iron I won't mind one bit.

* Just for the record, I have been and always will be a GM guy, dad worked for 30 years for the General. In an ironic twist of fate, I was a Ford certified technician for 5 years before I switched fields. I've worked on both brands and they both have strengths and flaws....it was fun pulling into work every morning in my Z28 though *
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #226
thedak
416ci - LS3 - 537/501

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO
Send a message via AIM to thedak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
I can't enlighten you with any 5.0 durabilty numbers because quite honestly they do not exsist.

I do know the rod have been, and continue to be the weak link in both the 4.6 & 5.0 ( GT500s are exempt ).

My experience & knowledge on rod exiting the block and rwhp limits of these engines come directly from a non biased tuner here in Illinois who detunes these cars to 425 because he's tired of them exploding on his chassis dyno.

The LS3 can withstand far more power on the stock internals than either the 4.6 or 5.0.

Please understand something, I'm not knocking the new Mustang. Honestly, it's an impressive performing car. What I am knocking is the gushing over a car that's .1 to 2. quicker than the LS3 SS stock for stock. Once either cars owner begins modding all bets are off because then it becomes a question of who has the larger wallet.

All of these numbers thrown around are outstanding for both cars....but ya wanna know what interests me more? Running a nice solid HP & 1/4 mile number while remaining durable without breakage. Could I buuild an insane 10 second car out of my SS, without doubt. Would I have the durability of a high 11 seond car though? Doubtful.

All these cars boil down to choices & opinions....both are solid performing cars, to bicker back and forth over one clear supremacy over another is futile.

Enjoy what ya drive, tip your hat to the other guy if he's faster. As long as it's american iron I won't mind one bit.

* Just for the record, I have been and always will be a GM guy, dad worked for 30 years for the General. In an ironic twist of fate, I was a Ford certified technician for 5 years before I switched fields. I've worked on both brands and they both have strengths and flaws....it was fun pulling into work every morning in my Z28 though *
Sync > LS3

/
Old 08-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #227
thedak
416ci - LS3 - 537/501

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO
Send a message via AIM to thedak
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmike View Post
Why do you do this?
You own a Raptor ?
Old 08-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #228
snakekiller

Drives: f150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Nice comments

I'm not sure what your getting at. It seems from your post like your upset by the Boss because it looks different then the GT, V6, and GT500. So if the Boss looked exactly like the stock GT we wouldn't of gotten any response out of you?

I personally like all the option's since when are options a bad thing?

I think the Boss 302 is the biggest leap forward for the auto industry to come out of Detroit in a long time since the originals back in the 60's. Ford listened to its customers and delivered big time......But it seems like Caniac Fan doesn't like the Boss 302 because there's too many versions of the 2011 Mustang already.

the thing chevy fans don't get is that Ford only offers 4 mustang models.
MCA/CS are packages you add to the base GT. saleen, roush, SMS, steeda are all tuner mustang's. by this logic the camaro isn't that unique, there's callaway, hennessy, sms and a bunch of others.
snakekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #229
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:

none exist? engineers detailed the most extreme durability testing ever for the 5.0

I do know the rod have been, and continue to be the weak link in both the 4.6 & 5.0 ( GT500s are exempt ). what rod weakness in the 5.0? where is the proof? so far the 5.0 is handling 535rwhp at 6psi, and 656rwhp from a 250shot. where do you get your info?

only 425 for the 5.0? you are saying all those guys with 420-440 rwhp are blowing up. you words on this page are not proof. some unbiased shop is nothing.

MAYBE so, but you dont know that. just cuz YOU say so means nothing.

nice info. ill keep it on mind when modding my 5.0...i can only add a few rwhp safely because you say so.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #230
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedak View Post
You own a Raptor ?
Sure do.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #231
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator View Post
nice info. ill keep it on mind when modding my 5.0...i can only add a few rwhp safely because you say so.
Didn't come down from the mountain top with that info....so don't do anything I say.

However, if something crazy happens to your allmighty 5.0, please make sure to come back around here and let us know.
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #232
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Quote:

The rods in the LS3 and the new 5.0 are made in the same process. They are both powdered metal forged connecting rods.
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #233
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
So the question is... Shelby or Boss?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #234
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post
So the question is... Shelby or Boss?
The boss for sure with a few modifications to tame the paint and styling down. Then again, its only a matter of time until the standard gt gets the revised engine
Old 08-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #235
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Nice comments

I'm not sure what your getting at. It seems from your post like your upset by the Boss because it looks different then the GT, V6, and GT500. So if the Boss looked exactly like the stock GT we wouldn't of gotten any response out of you?

I personally like all the option's since when are options a bad thing?

I think the Boss 302 is the biggest leap forward for the auto industry to come out of Detroit in a long time since the originals back in the 60's. Ford listened to its customers and delivered big time......But it seems like Caniac Fan doesn't like the Boss 302 because there's too many versions of the 2011 Mustang already.

Well said. There are many posts in this forum where members were asking for this exact same thing out of the Camaro. I stripped out version to make it lighter etc and a faster engine with a factory warranty included. The reason FOrd didn't need to take any bailout money was because they deliver the right cars at the right time and listen to what "the people" want. GM does this to a certain degree, but not to the same tune as Ford has done it over the years. The Z28 is a step in the right direction, let's hope that trend continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
The rods in the LS3 and the new 5.0 are made in the same process. They are both powdered metal forged connecting rods.

This is accurate. There is so much misinformation in some peoples posts that if you say the wrong thing enough times without correction, people believe it to be fact. Thanks for correcting that poster..
Old 08-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #236
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
The boss 302 is an awesome variant of the equally impressive mustang 5.0 just released.

personally I still prefer the camaro SS and I especially like the value equation of the 1ss package...

The looks of the camaro are such...I really prefer it to the mustang boss 302...

That said....the boss 302 is probably the coolest performance product to come out of ford ....(priced very well too) Base price 36 grand for the Boss 302 and 40 grand for the slightly wilder version without the rear seats etc...

Strong pricing on two very cool cars... If I were a ford fan...I'd buy the boss 302 over the shelby gt500...I just like it better...

I do believe the upcoming z28 LSA will base price at 44 grand...

GM should consider a track pak for the camaro ss....maybe with 19 inch rims and the same tires..? Maybe with an air filter mod worth 15 hp? (which should be easy and inexpensive) maybe GM should offer up lightweight...plastic rear seats which could drop a few lbs...and since nobody spends a ton of time back there who cares? If GM could drop the weight 100 lbs and add the 15 hp I mentioned...along with lower unsprung weight 19 inch rims and sticky tires...It could have a Camaro SS 1SS trackpack that would roll right along side the new Boss 302..

I think I like the boss 302 better than the more powerful and more expensive shelby...(50? or 55 grand?)

Of course the upcoming Z28 LSA 556hp camaro would be a personal favorite...especially if it starts out at the 44 grand price I've heard rumored..

The boss 302 is smokin hot...lapping faster than the M3 at the track which is always cool.. I do think the rear overhangs are dated etc...but the car looks and goes quite well.

Being this is a camaro site? I feel comfortable stating....rip out the rear seat...put in a hard plastic shelf for temporary seating..Save a few pounds here or there...strap on some lightweight 19 inch rims... to lower unsprung weight..add that nonsensical 14hp airfilter mod...and offer it up as a track pak....*but keep the A/c system...

I hate track packages like the Porsche that offers up a car without A/c...

A/c is mandatory...IMO Same with power windows and power locks...

All the rest of the luxury stuffs fair game...

Last edited by JBsC6; 08-15-2010 at 06:17 AM.
JBsC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #237
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:

You contradict yourself by saying the 5.0 motors are weak and then state there are no durability numbers because they don't exist.

You are correct in that they are the weakest link in the bottom end but the same holds true for the LS3. To say the LS3 bottom end is stronger than the 5.0 is just your speculation. Both motors use the SAME ROD CASTING. One is NOT stronger than the other. I would recommend some Google research.

Trivia question: how much boost can you run on a stock LS3 bottom end before it begins to have issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #238
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsC6 View Post
The boss 302 is an awesome variant of the equally impressive mustang 5.0 just released.

personally I still prefer the camaro SS and I especially like the value equation of the 1ss package...

The looks of the camaro are such...I really prefer it to the mustang boss 302...

That said....the boss 302 is probably the coolest performance product to come out of ford ....(priced very well too) Base price 36 grand for the Boss 302 and 40 grand for the slightly wilder version without the rear seats etc...

Strong pricing on two very cool cars... If I were a ford fan...I'd buy the boss 302 over the shelby gt500...I just like it better...

I do believe the upcoming z28 LSA will base price at 44 grand...

GM should consider a track pak for the camaro ss....maybe with 19 inch rims and the same tires..? Maybe with an air filter mod worth 15 hp? (which should be easy and inexpensive) maybe GM should offer up lightweight...plastic rear seats which could drop a few lbs...and since nobody spends a ton of time back there who cares? If GM could drop the weight 100 lbs and add the 15 hp I mentioned...along with lower unsprung weight 19 inch rims and sticky tires...It could have a Camaro SS 1SS trackpack that would roll right along side the new Boss 302..

I think I like the boss 302 better than the more powerful and more expensive shelby...(50? or 55 grand?)

Of course the upcoming Z28 LSA 556hp camaro would be a personal favorite...especially if it starts out at the 44 grand price I've heard rumored..

The boss 302 is smokin hot...lapping faster than the M3 at the track which is always cool.. I do think the rear overhangs are dated etc...but the car looks and goes quite well.

Being this is a camaro site? I feel comfortable stating....rip out the rear seat...put in a hard plastic shelf for temporary seating..Save a few pounds here or there...strap on some lightweight 19 inch rims... to lower unsprung weight..add that nonsensical 14hp airfilter mod...and offer it up as a track pak....*but keep the A/c system...

I hate track packages like the Porsche that offers up a car without A/c...

A/c is mandatory...IMO Same with power windows and power locks...

All the rest of the luxury stuffs fair game...
Where did you find the pricing or are you just speculating?
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote