Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
what Bull said is 100% accurate....you need to be looking more at the torque (since it is a turbo car), you'll see that even if you have lower hp numbers, you can outperform sc cars that have higher hp....dynos are for tuning, don't get too worked up about the numbers....trust me, no matter what the numbers are, you'll be surprised at the outcome when it comes to going head to head with other high hp cars....I ran 11.2's with 495 whp and 10.9's with 575 whp and OEM 20" wheels, so it is not about the numbers....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #16
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Thanks J, I keep trying to tell myself to not to look at the numbers so much. I'm sure I'll be happy with the power regardless of what the dyno says, as I've never had a car with any type of itched induction. I'm assuming the power will be a whole new territory, and I'll be addicted instantly .
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #17
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
TCAT,

If you are doubting your tuner getting you what you are paying for, you may want to find a different tuner. I'm not trying to come off as harsh, so please don't take it that way. I know tunes are not cheap, and a great tuner will leave you feeling like you got a deal AFTER you hand the money over.

I don't know who you are using for your tuner, but if he listens to what you've been saying on this thread, he should be able to get you where you want to be. If you have any doubts about the guy tuning your car, I'd go somewhere else.

Hope everything works out for ya!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #18
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Okay, my car is being retuned after the installation of 7# wastegate springs and AEM Tru-Boost boost controller. With a custom tune (hp tuners), my car only pulled 481rwhp/495 torque at 5.2 psi of boost BEFORE the addition of new wastegate springs and boost controller. I should have enough fuel considering the stock injectors the kit came with are 630cc/min and I have ADM twin pumps.

Now, what are some average numbers at various boost levels for stock or close to stock LS3 Camaro (I only have a flowmaster American thunder cat back)?

I know a good amount of people on this forum have the Turbonetics kit, or Tuners that have a lot of experience with the kit. Please chime in with all your results on a custom tune. I want to know if my car is making power that's on par with others or if it's really lacking. So far, I'm not impressed with the numbers at all. If I can't at least hit 550rwhp with 8 to 10 psi, I'll be pretty disappointed. It's been hot here in SoCal lately 90-100 degrees F. However, even though that plays a factor, my numbers just still seem too low.
I would not go much over 7-8 PSI on 91 octane.
I am glad you took my advice and bought springs.
You should make 550 Pretty Easy

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #19
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
TCAT,

If you are doubting your tuner getting you what you are paying for, you may want to find a different tuner. I'm not trying to come off as harsh, so please don't take it that way. I know tunes are not cheap, and a great tuner will leave you feeling like you got a deal AFTER you hand the money over.

I don't know who you are using for your tuner, but if he listens to what you've been saying on this thread, he should be able to get you where you want to be. If you have any doubts about the guy tuning your car, I'd go somewhere else.

Hope everything works out for ya!
Thanks man. No, that's not harsh at all, and I completely understand what you're saying and thank you for the advice. I'll be talking to the tuner today to see what the car made. If I'm unhappy with the results, I'm going to ask him if we can push it a little further power-wise and what he thinks about it. He did explain that he would expect it to be around 550rwhp and not more. He explained that we shouldnt push past 8 psi due to the compression ratio. I'm not sure if he'll feel comfortable going any higher on 91 since I'm not forged (but he never said if he would go higher). I won't know what the car made until today, but I am glad he is always leaning toward being safe. I just don't want it to be played too safe.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #20
TCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I would not go much over 7-8 PSI on 91 octane.
I am glad you took my advice and bought springs.
You should make 550 Pretty Easy

Ted.
Thanks Ted. My tuner was explaining the same thing to me, which makes me feel comfortable. He would like to not push it any higher than 8 psi on the stock internals. I always take your advise, and I think of you as a very experienced builder/tuner and a stand up guy. You help a ton around on this forum as well as all the customers you have on a daily basis. Customer service is everything in this business, and you've got it down perfect. That's what it takes.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #21
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Thanks Ted. My tuner was explaining the same thing to me, which makes me feel comfortable. He would like to not push it any higher than 8 psi on the stock internals. I always take your advise, and I think of you as a very experienced builder/tuner and a stand up guy. You help a ton around on this forum as well as all the customers you have on a daily basis. Customer service is everything in this business, and you've got it down perfect. That's what it takes.
Your Welcome, My Pleasure.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #22
TurboneticsSL

Drives: Turbocharged
Good to see that you're in good hands - on the forums and at the shop! I remember being hung up on numbers too with my previous cars. As long as I can see the percentage gain from the baseline, I am happy now.

I hope you don't "shart" after you get the car tuned! Maybe have a 2nd pair of pants in the car just in case?
TurboneticsSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #23
TCAT

Haha yeah, I'll be happy with the turbo kit regardless. Thanks for the help and I'm def. in good hands.

I am making 503-511 rwhp with a custom tune. I wish it could have been more a lot more, but the cats or something has to be holding this damn car back. Those numbers were just dissapointing for an LS3. I'm not sure what the baseline numbers were though.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #24
bob2010ss

Drives: Turbocharged 2010 GLOSSY NARDO GREY
517rwhp
560ftlbs

At 6lbs with stock 5lb waste gate springs

I have not changed the springs
other the the kit my car is bone stock
bob2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #25
bob2010ss

I might need to send a message to the guys at turbonetics to send me upgraded 7#springs for the waste gates
Old 10-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #26
bob2010ss

Tcat.

What boost are you running?

Can you post the graph, as I am sure the experts
On here would have some advice

Believe me my car is tuned at 6lbs, with the odd boost spike to 6.3
And the car is an animal
I run on sunoco 94 all the time
Old 10-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #27
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
Quote:
Haha yeah, I'll be happy with the turbo kit regardless. Thanks for the help and I'm def. in good hands.

I am making 503-511 rwhp with a custom tune. I wish it could have been more a lot more, but the cats or something has to be holding this damn car back. Those numbers were just dissapointing for an LS3. I'm not sure what the baseline numbers were though.
CATS ...KILLLLLLLL the power in a turbo....u need the least exhaust restriction possible. The best set up is a 3inch dual all the way back no muffs...just my opinion...and since i make 670 to the tire whereabouts i think i can add .02
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #28
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:

It looks like you are right at 6 lbs boost with the numbers you just posted. 503-511 RWHP. Probably just a tad over 6, maybe 6.2 or so. So it looks about right based on a baseline stock LS3 pulling 355-360. Maybe up the boost another point and you well get just north of 540.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote