Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Alas, I am having a similar problem, that is, with the Brake, ABS and TC lights all coming on. Car runs fine, but when this happens, my DashHawk will quit working and when I plug it back in, it says that there is a CAN Bus issue and that it can't find the car or the VIN. Give it a moment, maybe unplug, replug it back in, it might work.

My car is a 1LT/RS. It's going to the shop soon, with this knowledge from SSMike. Hopefully it can get resolved!!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #16
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Have you tried ordering through another dealer, maybe in LA where parts are usually stocked?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #17
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
So, GM doesn't care how long you are without your car, because they want to determine whether or not to pay for what should be warranty work? Do they honestly think you could have done anything to the car that would damage the EBCM? This is really disappointing. You shouldn't have to pay for a $400 part + labor.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #18
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Probably don't have a warehouse with 100's of Body Control modules for a 2010 Camaro kickin' around. I am frustrated with you, but be patient.
I know they don't, but that's not the issue. The part has been sourced, GM has it, and has it available, not that there are very many, but they will not release it without doing their own investigation first. It has nothing to do with mods I've done to the car, it has to do with this part being very new, and should not have gone wrong other than some internal malfunction. I'm trying to be patient, but I'm in outside sales, and I'm paying for a loaner right now because of this, so everyday I'm losing money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Alas, I am having a similar problem, that is, with the Brake, ABS and TC lights all coming on. Car runs fine, but when this happens, my DashHawk will quit working and when I plug it back in, it says that there is a CAN Bus issue and that it can't find the car or the VIN. Give it a moment, maybe unplug, replug it back in, it might work.

My car is a 1LT/RS. It's going to the shop soon, with this knowledge from SSMike. Hopefully it can get resolved!!
Definitely related somehow, but remember, any module or computer, or sensor along the CAN bus line can cause the same issues as I'm having. Dealer will definitely have to diagnose your particular problem, but keep my issue in mind. Good luck, and keep me updated please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
Have you tried ordering through another dealer, maybe in LA where parts are usually stocked?
Yes, it's not an in stock issue, GM will NOT release this part to anyone without their own investigation first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
So, GM doesn't care how long you are without your car, because they want to determine whether or not to pay for what should be warranty work? Do they honestly think you could have done anything to the car that would damage the EBCM? This is really disappointing. You shouldn't have to pay for a $400 part + labor.
Actually, I am not having this part warranty'd, which is why I am upset. If this WAS being paid for by GM under the factory warranty, then I can't get mad at them for taking time to investigate why a part they built malfunctioned, but now that I am a paying customer who is paying to buy a replacement part for something that broke and they still won't give it to me, now that's upsetting. The choice to pay for this part and it's labor is from me to try and expedite the process to get my car back sooner. Also because of mods I have done to my car, the dealer doesn't want to send a warranty claim, which I can completely understand. As far as I know, none of my mods could have, or have done anything to make this part malfunction.

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #19
68/2010
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Mike View Post
OK update on the car, not that it's much of an update, but now I'm getting particularly frustrated at GM.

The EBCM has apparently malfunctioned on my car, as I stated above. GM wanted the tech to send them all the info on the ECM so they can review for warranty claim. No problem with that. However, When I brought my car in over a week ago, I told the dealer I needed the car back befre this Friday as I have a prior obligation that my car needs to attend in San Francisco. The service advisor and tech were both aware of this. So when GM asked for all the info from the ECM, I knew it would take them days if not longer to go through it all and figure out what they want to do about it.

So I told the dealership, put me down as a paying customer, thinking that if I am paying for this piece, they will send me one. Nope wrong. I find out today after the dealer talked to three different GM reps that they are WITHOLDING the part because it is on restriction!!! Now I can understand them putting a restriction on the part if I were claiming warranty, but now I am paying for my car to get fixed and I'm paying full retail for the broken part as well. GM still WON'T GIVE ME MY PART. Now I'm pissed because not only am I paying full retail for parts and labor, my car has been there for over a week, and most of the time it's been sitting there getting dirty waiting for GM to figure out what to do.

GM is now going through all the info from my ECM to try and diagnose the problem based on what the computer is telling them. In the meantime, my car isn't getting fixed, they won't give me my damn part, and I now have to drive 600 miles in the rain with NO ABS. Basically I paid $40k for a car from GM, and they won't release a $400 part (that I'm paying for!!!!) to me because it BROKE!!!

Just know that everyone at the dealership, from the tech, the advisor, to the service manager are all helping me out as much as they can, and I think the world of them. Now it's GM's turn to return the favor for me buying this car, they need to give me my part so I can fix the damn car!
I can't believe you have to go though this. This is really scary. Because it could happen to the rest of us as well. And they should have lots of extra parts for any problems that my happen. They had yrs. to make the parts.I'm hoping you get your car soon and fixed. And mybe you can go to another dealer. It's not fair that we go though life and they want to sell you something and their your best friend till you buy it and then screw you. keep us updated. Good luck
Old 02-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #20
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Before they replace that part I am sure they want to make sure it was that part that failed and not some related part that CAUSED the failure. They may be able to determine that by analyzing the data provided. Being a former Electronics Technician, the problem you see may not be what caused the problem in the first place, replacing the part that failed will not cure the actual problem. If they sent a replacement and the part fails again you are still in the same boat, and still with no solution...

You may have obligations with your car but that is not GM's or your dealers fault.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #21
SS Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Before they replace that part I am sure they want to make sure it was that part that failed and not some related part that CAUSED the failure. They may be able to determine that by analyzing the data provided. Being a former Electronics Technician, the problem you see may not be what caused the problem in the first place, replacing the part that failed will not cure the actual problem. If they sent a replacement and the part fails again you are still in the same boat, and still with no solution...

You may have obligations with your car but that is not GM's or your dealers fault.
I understand that. The tech has gone through every provision given to him BY GM to find the issue, and everything points to this. I've stated in my previous posts that I am aware that GM wants to make sure that is the part that is causing the problem. I know my prior obligations with the car is neither GM's or the dealer's fault, that is not my issue. My issue is that GM is now saying they will not release the part to me, at all.

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!

Last edited by SS Mike; 02-25-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #22
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
so can you have a friend or relative go to the dealer with the part number and order or is VIN related?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #23
SS Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
so can you have a friend or relative go to the dealer with the part number and order or is VIN related?
As far as I know it is NOT VIN related, but no they will not release the part at this time.

Right now I'm waiting to hear from GM on what other things they want the tech to test. I'm hoping at least GM will be able to pinpoint the problem, if it's not the EBCM.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #24
mrray13

Quote:

Definitely related somehow, but remember, any module or computer, or sensor along the CAN bus line can cause the same issues as I'm having. Dealer will definitely have to diagnose your particular problem, but keep my issue in mind. Good luck, and keep me updated please.

I will, first I've got to get my laptop to work, just in case I need to reinstall my factory tune. That said, this probelm started before the tune was applied. I've had this happen 3 other times, another "AC off Due to Engine Temp" pop up, although no codes are thrown, and this is on startup on a 20* day, so no way engine was hot.

There is definitely something amiss in the programming/hardware somewhere, from the factory.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #25
mrray13

Okay, my car goes in Tuesday for a look see. Had big issues last night, (well, last night for me, was 5am), tranny, for the third time, didn't want to shift. Big props to OnStar for getting it resolved enough that I could drive the car home. Codes the car threw are

U0073
u0121 x 2
P0700
P0856

Can't wait to see what happens out of this mess, lol.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #26
SS Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Okay, my car goes in Tuesday for a look see. Had big issues last night, (well, last night for me, was 5am), tranny, for the third time, didn't want to shift. Big props to OnStar for getting it resolved enough that I could drive the car home. Codes the car threw are

U0073
u0121 x 2
P0700
P0856

Can't wait to see what happens out of this mess, lol.
Please keep me updated. I got the U0073 communication error code as well, but neither of the other two. My car goes back in today, I will let everyone know if it ends up being the EBCM for sure or not. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #27
SS Mike

Ok everyone, it looks like (at least for now) the problem has been fixed! After being in the shop for well over a month (in total) I got the car back yesterday. It runs great and so far none of the lights have come back on. I'm crossing my fingers that they don't. I assume that after a day or two of driving it, if they don't come on then they won't, but we'll see.

The EBCM seems to have been the root of the problem on my car. It had some internal malfunction which caused it to fail. Because of that failure it blocked all communication along the CAN line causing other modules to throw error codes. The only reason it took as long as it did was because of parts being on restriction and a problem that occured causing my ECM to lock up (due to my tune and an unfortunate timing and use of the tuner which I can only blame on myself) and me to have to buy a new ECM :( Otherwise this would have been fixed over a week ago.

So all in all I am happy with the service (my dealership went above and beyond with this issue and were very understanding and patient with me and my aftermarket mods) and glad to have my car back working correctly. Now for more mods!!!

-Mike

Old 03-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #28
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Ok everyone, it looks like (at least for now) the problem has been fixed! After being in the shop for well over a month (in total) I got the car back yesterday. It runs great and so far none of the lights have come back on. I'm crossing my fingers that they don't. I assume that after a day or two of driving it, if they don't come on then they won't, but we'll see.

The EBCM seems to have been the root of the problem on my car. It had some internal malfunction which caused it to fail. Because of that failure it blocked all communication along the CAN line causing other modules to throw error codes. The only reason it took as long as it did was because of parts being on restriction and a problem that occured causing my ECM to lock up (due to my tune and an unfortunate timing and use of the tuner which I can only blame on myself) and me to have to buy a new ECM :( Otherwise this would have been fixed over a week ago.

So all in all I am happy with the service (my dealership went above and beyond with this issue and were very understanding and patient with me and my aftermarket mods) and glad to have my car back working correctly. Now for more mods!!!

-Mike
Glad to see you have no hard feelings towards GM and your dealership.

One question I have, could you go back to the company that provided the tune/tuner and get re-embursed for the cost of the ECM or do they have a disclaimer that they are not responsible for any problems the tune/tuner may create?