Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:00 PM   #281
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubrignitz View Post
You kinda hit the nail on the head here and this was the dealbreaker on trading my car in. They're putting the same damn powdered metal rods in the new motor effectively limiting the HP anyway. And at 11:1 compression how will it handle boost??? I can't feel good about trading my car in for one of these if it's not capable of 500+whp under boost. I'd just as soon swap a forged assy 5.4L into mine, or a DSS supermod 3V etc, etc.

I think Ford was just wanting to stay competitive with the Camaro by designing this quasi-cammer 4V with cheaper components. Defeinetely an improvement over the 3V but not a forged assy 3V so....

They seem to do JUST ENOUGH to stay somewhat competitive w/o killing the aftermarket...oh well. I'll sit back and watch the show.

To fdjizm...this post here is exactly what I'm talking about. This fella owns a 07 Mustang according to his avatar thingy, and read his first line. He was quoting my very first comment about the limited bore size.

Hopefully you'll see my point, and understand it's a problem with soem Ford guys too, lol.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #282
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
It's funny you say this because a lot of people say the car looks tougher and more aggressive. Even more so with the GT500. I always get a kick out of when Camaro guys talk about the rear. The area of the Camaro that could use some improvement as well.
You like the new Mustang rear, that's all good. The Camaro rear is kick ass in my opinion. People who see my car absolutely love that about the car. In the end it's all opinions. Your is yours and mine is mine. Neither is right or wrong.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:13 PM   #283
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
nice car but this is the camaro forum im sick of seeing this mustang crap on here , there is a mustang forum right.i dont get on the mustang forum i have a camaro. not cutting the mustang down just everytime i clik new post there it is mustang this mustang that i already bought the camaro im not scared of what mustangs have or dont have and dont care. they are both nice and capable cars just depends on how much money you spend as to whos runs better or looks better.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #284
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
With the whole pony wars thing all bets are off if it's not a stock vs stock comparison, know why? because he who has the most money wins.

so when you compare an 11' camaro to a 11' mustang, why would you even get into "well what can it handle?" doesn't matter because you are supposed to be comparing stock for stock.

those who want big stuff are going to go big anyway, so what is stopping them from getting low comp. pistons and boosting the 5.0's brains out?
Old 12-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #285
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
With the whole pony wars thing all bets are off if it's not a stock vs stock comparison, know why? because he who has the most money wins.

so when you compare an 11' camaro to a 11' mustang, why would you even get into "well what can it handle?" doesn't matter because you are supposed to be comparing stock for stock.

those who want big stuff are going to go big anyway, so what is stopping them from getting low comp. pistons and boosting the 5.0's brains out?
True, but how well a particular engine takes to mods influences 1% of the buying market--the kind of people who sit on a car forum

I agree that he who has the most money wins.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:21 PM   #286
mrray13

Quote:

I respectfully disagree. The Pony war extends to the dragstrip, and not just stock for stock either. It can be John Force's Mustang bodied car vs whomever's Camaro bodied ride, and even though the motors in both cars are hemi-based, it's still Ford vs Chevy, Mustang vs Camaro.

I never got into what can it handle, I brought up a point about boring it over. Which, btw, is a very common practise. However, by reports, you can't bore the 5.0 out. That's sucks.

You are right about one thing, whomever has the most money wins.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #287
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
I didn't use the word "dope"... I said "straight drop" as in straight vertical port into the intake valves... pay attention.
Well....um, in my mind I bet in your mind you called it dope.

I would love for the l99/ls3 to be an 11:1 motor. It would stop the over abundance of maggies that are flooding the market and would lead to more cammed/sprayed motors with originalty. Its disgusting how many companies are just slapping them on and saying "ohh special editon...its super special". Soon there will be more maggie camaros than honda civics.

(side note) there is nothing wrong with the above mod, but it just seems like people are too lazy to do actual work to these cars, especially the real companies that are using the 2010 to make special edition cars.) Stop being lazy.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #288
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Soon there will be more maggie camaros than honda civics.
Mind your tongue!! In every dimension I've been to, that's a good thing!
Old 12-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #289
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Probably for cold weather starting. I seem to remember when Tuned Port came out, there was an extra runner/injector for that reason.
No its not he posted a pic of a race built V-10 from that website. GO there and look under F1 Cosworth V-10 CR3L 2004 in the engines section.

www.gurneyflap.com

14 Silverado
Old 12-31-2009, 02:50 PM   #290
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
I respectfully disagree. The Pony war extends to the dragstrip, and not just stock for stock either. It can be John Force's Mustang bodied car vs whomever's Camaro bodied ride, and even though the motors in both cars are hemi-based, it's still Ford vs Chevy, Mustang vs Camaro.

I never got into what can it handle, I brought up a point about boring it over. Which, btw, is a very common practise. However, by reports, you can't bore the 5.0 out. That's sucks.

You are right about one thing, whomever has the most money wins.
I'm going to take this as an opportunity to bring up what I wanted to in some of the other threads about the 5.0, I'm sure I'll get ganged up on but whatever, it needs to be said. I never intended to bring up boost- just basic bolt-ons and other N/A modifications..

I don't think the 5.0 will respond as well to modifications as people are expecting/hoping because it is such a high strung motor from the factory- 11:1 compression ratio, limited room for bore/stroke, a higher profile cam that seems to rely on high/higher revs for all of its power right from the factory...I mean the thing already has shorty headers from the factory.

I'm sure it will be able to make some from bolt-ons but take a look at the dinan modifications for the M3. The engine is DI and CAI, and bored throttle bodies, a tune, and a catback exhaust still don't make the power that some long tubes would on an SS. No doubt the Mustang has the Camaro beat on curb weight so all that power isn't as vital to its performance. I almost feel as if Ford was targeting BMW more than GM with the newest iteration of the Mustang- it will be an awesome car.

I do think however, with the G"TT"500 (haha) coming out, the Z28 will have the most to worry because it will be an absolute monster- this is going to be entertaining!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #291
mrray13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super83Z View Post
No its not he posted a pic of a race built V-10 from that website. GO there and look under F1 Cosworth V-10 CR3L 2004 in the engines section.

www.gurneyflap.com

Oh, okay, lol. Makes sense. I still believe I'm right about the early Tuned Port cars, I remember a small runner on every one of them.

Kyle, there will still be room for improvement in the intake, muffler and tune. Well, should be, lol. I think one can expect the Coyote to respond in typical fashion to those three basic modifications.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:08 PM   #292
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Oh, okay, lol. Makes sense. I still believe I'm right about the early Tuned Port cars, I remember a small runner on every one of them.

Kyle, there will still be room for improvement in the intake, muffler and tune. Well, should be, lol. I think one can expect the Coyote to respond in typical fashion to those three basic modifications.
No doubt- I don't expect it to be a huge one however, the Mustangs lack of weight makes it not as necessary though
Old 12-31-2009, 03:08 PM   #293
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The stock LS3/L99 headers look quite bulky. Could a nice set of mandrel bent headers from the factory save some pounds over the cast ones that we currently get? Would this bump the HP much?

I'm just throwing out a possible response Chevy could do very simply to combat any perceived advantages the Mustnag might appear to have.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:17 PM   #294
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Yes you are right on the tpi motors having a cold start injector. I know they didnt have them after 1988, but I belive they started in 86?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
The stock LS3/L99 headers look quite bulky. Could a nice set of mandrel bent headers from the factory save some pounds over the cast ones that we currently get? Would this bump the HP much?

I'm just throwing out a possible response Chevy could do very simply to combat any perceived advantages the Mustnag might appear to have.

You could always gain more out of factory headers, but it will raise the cost of the car. The good thing about lsx motors is that they respond great to bolt on mods because they tend to struggle more out of the box than a 4 valve motor.
Closed Thread