Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-29-2007, 10:37 PM   #29
selil

Drives: Chevy Avalanche
Just as long as they don't try and put a roll bar on the convertible. They put one of those silly B pillars (think that abomination the PT Cruiser Convertible) on the Camaro I'm calling year one and build my own 2010 Camaro Convertible from their catalog. Heck I'm getting tired of waiting already.
selil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:25 PM   #30
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I've never seen a factory installed Roll-bar/b-pillar on a Camaro convertible...I couldn't see why they'd start now...
Old 09-30-2007, 03:31 AM   #31
Power Junkie
GM give me my fix please!

Drives: 95 Toyota GT4
Location: England.. aka the EU's whipping boy!!! (but not for much longer, hopefully)
I think it should be behind the glass, and black so that the look is retained, for me the body colour b-pillar spoils the look of the car.
Power Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:07 AM   #32
DvlDog07

Drives: 95' Beretta Z26
Hi all, my first post here, thought i would share my version of what it Could look like, also added a larger side mirror. Put the Concept image for comparison.

DvlDog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:07 AM   #33
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Hmmmm, very nice. Good job.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #34
Mr. Wyndham

That does look nice! If they have to put something on the outside, I want something like that.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #35
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlDog07 View Post
Hi all, my first post here, thought i would share my version of what it Could look like, also added a larger side mirror. Put the Concept image for comparison.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #36
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^That's what I'm saying! Welcome to the site!

I have a feeling it'll look a bit more like pic 2...which would be cool by me.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #37
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Welcome to the boards. And nice post, if it looks like that I wouldn't have a problem with it.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #38
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
other logical reasons to have the b-pillar

other notes:

1) the car would have entered the "exotic" category if it had been a true hardtop. Thus, in theory it would make sense that a hardtop design would not be produced. (you can't ask for Everything, etc.)

2) Also, a true hardtop might have led to Creaks and groans in the body.

It is my belief the actual b-pillar is going to be Wide and very stout on each side of the car. I doubt it will be slim, but I am sure it will be completely hidden from the outside by the rear window (as everyone else said).

I think everyone does not want a car that squeaks and rattles. :o
Old 10-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #39
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
And if not..... this is a pretty bad chop, but the idea is there, and it's not terrible....
Dragon, that is a great chop! That looks almost real.

I like the idea of having the pillar hidden behind the rear window. I wouldn't want the rear windows to roll down anyway. I think the only windows that should roll down are the windows on the doors. 2 doors, 2 rolling windows. (Notice I said roll down, so sun/moon roofs don't count.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #40
Mr. Wyndham

I agree completely! I really believe it'll be hidden behind the glass, to give the illusion of a true hardtop. IF that is what they end up doing, then I doubt the rear windows will rol down.

Doesn't bother me.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #41
Satriani

Drives: 4 cyl can
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
other notes:

1) the car would have entered the "exotic" category if it had been a true hardtop. Thus, in theory it would make sense that a hardtop design would not be produced. (you can't ask for Everything, etc.)

2) Also, a true hardtop might have led to Creaks and groans in the body.

It is my belief the actual b-pillar is going to be Wide and very stout on each side of the car. I doubt it will be slim, but I am sure it will be completely hidden from the outside by the rear window (as everyone else said).

I think everyone does not want a car that squeaks and rattles. :o
1) Why not be exotic, it does not require thousands of $$$ to have it hardtop, nor is it brain science to design hardtop...
2) I had a t-tops Camaro, now that was creaky...

I don't like b-pillar, in fact why rear window at all. Should be like old camaros, solid piece of metal, which gives strenght to the car too.
But if they decide to go with b-pillar, it should not be visibile, rear window has to be fixed, completely covering b-pillar.
Satriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:52 PM   #42
gurulu68

Drives: 68 camaro rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I'm dissapointed too. I was really hoping for that true hardtop look and feel. It won't deter me from buying the Camaro...but dang, did that look nice in the concept. Looking forward to see how they do this...

Actually, you're looking at a couple hundred pounds. First, you have motors, mounts, hardware in the door, and more importantly, all the major bracing in the roof to keep the structure sound in the event of a side impact. Oh, it can be done w/out the pillar....But, the materials needed to strengthen that roof will weigh a lot.

It should look like one solid peice of glass (maybe w/ a thin black strip.

Yup. Under the smoked/tinted glass....I would have to say.
Any added metal would go to the roof rails and the b-pillar, the doors would be exactly the same. The original car probably would use 16 or 18 gauge high strength steel in the roof rails and the b-pillar which could be substituted with boron steel which is much much stronger and a ltttle lighter but more expensive. The new car will use 20 to 22 gauge high strength steel in the roof rails. The difference in weight ... maybe ten pounds tops. In a side impact it won't make a difference because most cars don't get hit in the roof during a side impact.
The b-pillar in the new car will use 14 to 16 gauge high strength steel. The original car probably uses the same, but there would be about 5 extra pounds in weight for the added metal directly behind the quarter window. If you used boron steel and kept the original look there would be no difference in weight. but it would be more expensive.I don't know what the added price would be but it couldn't cost GM much more than 500 bucks and it's probably half that.
It would cost a body shop a lot more for those parts because dealerships make at least 100% on parts.Plus the body shop itself charges 15 to 25 % for profit. In a side impact the boron steel would fair way better. and since the quarter windows are so small adding a full b-pillar doesn't really make much sense to me. If a convertable can take a side impact than so can a hard top. All reenforcements done to a convertable are done to the floor to keep them from sagging. I am an Autobody Frame Technician trust me I know what I am talking about I've been working on vehicle frames for more than 15 years. GM just wants to keep somebody off there backs.