Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #29
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Also, my car is at about 580 rwhp right now and I believe it will be over 600 with the 20" wheels. I cannot get the 22s with the low profile tires to hook, so I can't use the power I have with the 22s.

I've discovered that there are trade offs with almost everything with these cars. I wanted the looks of 22s when I bought them. I didn't realize the hit I'd take with performance at the time. My car was at 370 rwhp when I bought the 22s. But, I've added hp since then and discovered how much I like it. Live and learn.

The OP asked about the ins and outs of 22s. I was just providing my perspective.

If you want pretty, don't mind losing 20 to 30 rwhp, and don't mind a slightly rougher ride, then perhaps 22s are for you.

If you want a good looking wheel that is lighter weight, then 20s would be better. I am going with 20s with drag radials for a good street wheel that will hook and serve for occasional track days.

If you're totally drag race oriented, then you might consider 18s.

Good advice...

580rwhp
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #30
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
Good advice...

580rwhp
Next I need to work on upgrading my interior with some say... really nice leather products! (I will be doing that soon!)
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #31
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by seddon View Post
There is a slight performance loss IMO but here in NYC where you going fast pot hole city also I can make my 315 p-zero nero grip pretty good.
I have the same tires. I coudn't make them hook for nothing when I had 470 rwhp and now I have 560 rwhp it's like plastic sole shoes on a basketball court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlbeerz View Post
I have 22's on mine, and they do look better on the car IMO, but I will be putting on some 20's soon. Will update with direct difference and dynos.
I'm very interested. I meant to have Vengeance do that but they are pretty busy so I decided to skip it.

Quote:
+1

I bought 22s for my car - three piece forged - very expensive Savini wheels - about a year ago. They look GREAT, but they don't hook for crap. Also we cannot seem to get the vibration out of one of them (I even sent them back to the manufacturer for them to repair them and they still vibrate a bit). The shop says "that's the nature of 22" wheels with low profile tires." 22s are a PITA, imho.

I just bought a set of 20" Forgeline wheels with drag radials. I spent a lot of money on adding rwhp to my car. I want to be able to put it to the pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
Darth, it is your wheels. I have over 40k miles on my 22s and 0 vibrations and rides as smooth as day one. A tad rougher with the reduced sidewall and might have lack of tracking but not worried I have 345s on the other ride
I drove a 5th Gen recently with 22s on it. (seddons old wheels to be exact) and they rode smoth as glass. I was shocked. I've gotten used to my shaky wheels. Again, MUCH better before Savini remade two of them but still there. I, too, was told it's the nature of 22 inch wheels. But I also used a set of 22s that Rent and Roll said they's sell me for 800.00 TOTAL and they were as smoth as stock wheels. I don't think Savini wheels are made to drive on.

Quote:
If you're totally drag race oriented, then you might consider 18s.
I'm not too far behind you in the power and torque range. I'm actually thinking about 19 inch wheels.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #32
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I would have to say the wheels (22's) should not have a problem. I can hook my tires with no problem and no vibrations at all. I guess when getting wheels I stick with D2 Forged great wheels, built right yeah there more expensive than most companies but never had a problem.
seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #33
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seddon View Post
I would have to say the wheels (22's) should not have a problem. I can hook my tires with no problem and no vibrations at all. I guess when getting wheels I stick with D2 Forged great wheels, built right yeah there more expensive than most companies but never had a problem.
My wheels hooked before the blower. And since then I've cammed it. The just don't stick with 557 instant rwtq.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #34
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I'm not too far behind you in the power and torque range. I'm actually thinking about 19 inch wheels.
I went with the 20s because Nine Ball has a great deal with Forgeline (excellent light weight racing wheel company) on 20" wheels right now.

BTW, I picked the same model wheel that speedster will be putting on the SST (I'll bet he's getting 18s though). I wanted a good street wheel which I can use to tinker at the track. The 20s still look pretty good too.

I'll wait until I get the Forgelines and put them on the car before deciding about selling my Savinis. I may just put the Savinis on for occasional car shows. I took my car to the Camaro Superfest in Michigan last weekend. The most common positive comments I got on my car was the wheels. The Savinis are pretty.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #35
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
I went with the 20s because Nine Ball has a great deal with Forgeline (excellent light weight racing wheel company) on 20" wheels right now.

BTW, I picked the same model wheel that speedster will be putting on the SST (I'll bet he's getting 18s though). I wanted a good street wheel which I can use to tinker at the track. The 20s still look pretty good too.

I'll wait until I get the Forgelines and put them on the car before deciding about selling my Savinis. I may just put the Savinis on for occasional car shows. I took my car to the Camaro Superfest in Michigan last weekend. The most common positive comments I got on my car was the wheels. The Savinis are pretty.
A 20 inch wheel with a street DR is ideal. Not great in the rain but who wants to drive hard in the rain anyway?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #36
Darth_Emma

Quote:
A 20 inch wheel with a street DR is ideal. Not great in the rain but who wants to drive hard in the rain anyway?
I hope so. I'm putting Nitto 555-R DRson the rear and Nitto Invo on the front. The 555-R tires are supposed to be ok in the rain (not great, but reasonably safe). I have the tires and OEM sensors (thanks Becky!) already. I'm just waiting for the Forgelines. Tony said it'll be about a month.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #37
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
I hope so. I'm putting Nitto 555-R DRson the rear and Nitto Invo on the front. The 555-R tires are supposed to be ok in the rain (not great, but reasonably safe). I have the tires and OEM sensors (thanks Becky!) already. I'm just waiting for the Forgelines. Tony said it'll be about a month.
And Tony likes to stretch it so as to keep the customer anticipation down. So you can maybe cut that to 3 weeks.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #38
Darth_Emma

Quote:
And Tony likes to stretch it so as to keep the customer anticipation down. So you can maybe cut that to 3 weeks.
oooooooooooh! Now you got me all anticipaty (is that a word?).
Old 07-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #39
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
oooooooooooh! Now you got me all anticipaty (is that a word?).
It is now.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #40
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I do all highway driving and was wondering how 22s feel on the highway. In Chicago we have some pretty rough expressways and at 80mph I'm wondering if 22s are a smart choice.
butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #41
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I haven't been able to tell the difference going from 20 to 22" wheels.

As Randy said in post 20, 20's will have more grip even if the 22's are lighter.

That said, I wouldn't trade my 22's for a set of 20's as this car is a cruiser and I'm not trying to squeeze every last 0.1 second out of the car as some others. The appearance really does look that much better to me.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #42
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
Buy a set of both 20" & 22". The 22"s ride worst but look better. They handle like sh!t won't grip if you have lots of power. Now I went with 30 series front and 25 series rear so there isn't much side wall in my set up. For days at the track I run 3 piece 20"s. If I could sell those I would even go to a 19" or 18" set up for the track.