Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #29
KungFuHamster

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderwagen View Post
Man I'm so frustrated with this situation. If they end up screwing me I think I'm going to pull that thing out an drop in a stroker. I didn't want to spend that kind of money on this car yet because I'm building a race car right now, but I don't want some half ass rebuilt motor in there.
typical GM. bullshit like that is why i crossed over to the "darkside" years ago.
KungFuHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #30
STRIKE ZONE

Drives: 2010 ss/rs
New long block with no problem, had only 221 miles and not driven hard, cylinder was damaged beyond repair, obviously just some sought of uncommon factory defect.
STRIKE ZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #31
thunderwagen

Drives: Silver Ice 2SS M6
I have argued with everyone I know to argue with an they are still just going to replace the one piston. This is such bull shit.
thunderwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #32
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Did you talk to GM Customer Service yet?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #33
Dave2SSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I would NOT settle for that.

Ask them who your Lawyers need to contact. That will get them going!!

Richmond (Houston), TX
Dave2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #34
agkelly73

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Yes, call GM Customer service directly. I opened a dispute with them before with my wifes car after a part a dealer installed went bad for a second time for bad installation. They wanted to charge us for the repair even though it was due to negligence on another Chevy dealer's fault. Anyway, I called and opened a "case" with them. I didn't get the full amount covered but we did get a nice hefty discount. I think it is total BS they aren't covering you and want to do a half a$$ job of fixing the issue. As someone else said, there's no telling what else may have been done. Not to mention the fact that your cat was glowing red. I'd have them check all that as well.
agkelly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #35
thunderwagen

I have talked to the area and regional reps over warranty claims. GM customer service and a supervisor at GM customer service. They all just keep saying this is sop for This type of damage. I have argued that the cylinder wont have the same compression as the other 7 and that the crosshatch has been worn down by the first set of rings. That I will have a loss of performance. That there could be possible damage to the crank an rods that would have to be checked by a machine shop. That the new piston wont be balanced with the rest of the rotating assembly.

They just keep saying it will be within GM specs and wont have any loss of performance or issues, and that if I continue to have problems that they will look into replacing the motor but not util I continue to have problems. Its such bull shit. The most cost effective way to fix something damn sure isn't the right way to fix things. I hope that thing blows up as I drive it off the lot.

I don't know what else to do to fight it. They basically told me to pound sand. The new GM customer service sucks ass that's all I know. I have owned 6 different GM vehicles in the last ten years and currently own 3 and this is the support I get.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #36
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Well....like you said....drive it hard right off the bat. Maybe even take to ADM or someone to have it dynoed not long after you get it to make sure the HP falls close to what others are seeing.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #37
thunderwagen

It dynoed 390 a couple months before it broke. I plan on redynoing it and I'm going to Tell the dealer I want a compression test run on all the cylinders before I will pick it up.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #38
Stay Marine
Still love daily drivin'

Drives: Built '10 IBM 2SS; '15 Black Z/28
PM FBODFATHER (Scott Settlemire) for his advice
Old 06-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #39
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
Look let them fix the one cylinder then go run the hell out of it and blow it up. Like they said if it happens again then they'll look at replacing the engine.

BTW learn the art of PR. GM really doesn't care about the lawyer talk cuase most the time its a bluff from the customer and if you do get one they'll just bury you in paperwork and it would cost ya more in the long run (unless ya win).

Next time you talk to em be calm and direct and explain to them how you will take pictures and write down conversations ect and hand them to a few magazines and news papers, ect. Trust me with the cheaper 5.0 out they don't want bad publicity of this magnitude.
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #40
KungFuHamster

this sucks dude. but doesnt surprise me. perhaps you should come to the dark side...all are welcome

ps
swapping in a random piston into a rotating assembly...without balancing?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #41
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuHamster View Post
this sucks dude. but doesnt surprise me. perhaps you should come to the dark side...all are welcome

ps
swapping in a random piston into a rotating assembly...without balancing?
Do you really think they make all the pistons weigh the same on a production engine?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #42
KungFuHamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Do you really think they make all the pistons weigh the same on a production engine?
i would assume there was some kind of balancing of the stock rotating assembly, yes.

edit: Though all engines are balanced from the factory (some to a better degree than others), the original balance is lost when the pistons, connecting rods or crankshaft are replaced or interchanged with those from other engines. The factory balance job is based on the reciprocating weight of the OE pistons and rods. If any replacements or substitutions are made, there’s no guarantee the new or reconditioned parts will match the weights of the original parts closely enough to retain the original balance. Most aftermarket replacement parts are "balanced" to the average weight of the OEM parts, which may or may not be close enough to maintain a reasonable degree of balance inside the engine. Aftermarket crank kits are even worse and can vary considerably because of variations within engine families.

taken from this site: http://www.rpmmachine.com/engine-balancing.shtml