Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #407
Nasty1970

Drives: 2011 Red 2SS RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwanger24 View Post
BAH! Just noticed it on mine as well... Definitely not as bad as some of the pics here but the car is also only like 2 weeks old( for my anyways ). Bringing it into the dealer during my lunch hour... Not a good start :(
I hate to say it, but if the rub marks are not bad, I would try to fix this myself, having gone to the dealer myself, had a new top put on...after all the BS, I would rather have my original top, and fixed the bracket myself. The down side to this, is if you modify the top in any way, they may not cover it for future issues...so its a gamble!!!
[/IMG]

1970 Camaro ,2011 Red Convertible 2SS,2008 Saturn Sky,2012 Jeep Wrangler
Nasty1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #408
hwanger24

Drives: 11 Camaro Convert 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty1970 View Post
I hate to say it, but if the rub marks are not bad, I would try to fix this myself, having gone to the dealer myself, had a new top put on...after all the BS, I would rather have my original top, and fixed the bracket myself. The down side to this, is if you modify the top in any way, they may not cover it for future issues...so its a gamble!!!
Why do you say that, if you don't mind me asking? Is the dealership's fix not correcting the original issue?

Good point though, on the Warranty issue. I'm sure if i unlocked the top in a manner they didn't like, they'd find a reason to void my Warranty.. Those animals!! lol
hwanger24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #409
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
Jeff, can you help out on this? If Chevy dealerships and their contractors can't or won't fix these tops properly, I think the days of many of us buying 'verts are over.

Tib
Old 07-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #410
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Agreed...

I wish I woulda looked into it myself right off the bat. I've got to drop it off AGAIN tomorrow for the Trim Shop to work on the wind noise issue now, as well as one of the side channel clips not holding firmly... not to mention paying for another tint job out of pocket...

On a positive note... I did learn the trick of covering the top with felt before installing the tanneau, thus saving my new top from that "burn" looking mark from the tanneau rub
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #411
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Why do you say that, if you don't mind me asking? Is the dealership's fix not correcting the original issue?

Good point though, on the Warranty issue. I'm sure if i unlocked the top in a manner they didn't like, they'd find a reason to void my Warranty.. Those animals!! lol
They replaced my top, upholstery shop went joy riding in my car (brother in law spotted them ragging on my car), they also put a small scratch in my stripe, my new top has mayor wind noise that was not there before, there is some lumps in my top (hopefully they go away after it stretches a bit), they left metal shaving all over my interior and finally they didn't fix the issue so the wear marks cam back in two hours.

Not wanting to relive this nightmare I just fixed the problem myself. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153498
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #412
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
sorry I havent posted these sooner, but here is my "new" top. Ijust noticed a bump in the top from the first and second rib...this isnt right...

Attachment 266165
Attachment 266166

:mad0 260:: mad0260::mad02 60:
I just noticed I have these same lumps. My original top didn't have them.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #413
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Ditto on the "lumps" but I'm assuming that'll go away as it stretches and settles...
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #414
Nasty1970

Quote:
dam...happy its not just me, but sad that its not right...

I know it will never be as it was straight off the dealer floor, but I think a lot of this could have been avoided if GM had put in a little bit more testing. Sadly they(engineers) are not the ones dealing with these issues, the consumers are.
[/IMG]

Old 07-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #415
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Ditto on the "lumps" but I'm assuming that'll go away as it stretches and settles...
Does your still howl like it is in a hurricane when doing down the road or did it fix itself?

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #416
Nasty1970

They fixed the issue that was causing the hole, but the new top doesn't look as good as the original top because of the lumps, and my handle doesn't sit flat, and rear passenger window has a significant wind noise.

its a hindsight is 20/20 kinda thing, my thought when I heard they would replace the top was "hey, I get a new top outta it!!" never would I have imagined the new top would be inferior to the original top on alignment, look, and fit. After going what I went through, I would have just fixed it myself, and saved myself time, effort, gas, and heartache.
[/IMG]

Old 07-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #417
hwanger24

Drives: 11 Camaro Convert 2SS/RS
Quote:
They fixed the issue that was causing the hole, but the new top doesn't look as good as the original top because of the lumps, and my handle doesn't sit flat, and rear passenger window has a significant wind noise.

its a hindsight is 20/20 kinda thing, my thought when I heard they would replace the top was "hey, I get a new top outta it!!" never would I have imagined the new top would be inferior to the original top on alignment, look, and fit. After going what I went through, I would have just fixed it myself, and saved myself time, effort, gas, and heartache.
Definitely appreciate all the responses...I'll have to really think about what risk I wanna take next. Totally forgot about the whole re-tinting of the rear window.
hwanger24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #418
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
Quote:

Jeezus. My car goes in Tuesday. The cloth is shot over passenger side so replacement is needed. Reading all of these stories makes me want to
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #419
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
They replaced my top, upholstery shop went joy riding in my car (brother in law spotted them ragging on my car), they also put a small scratch in my stripe, my new top has mayor wind noise that was not there before, there is some lumps in my top (hopefully they go away after it stretches a bit), they left metal shaving all over my interior and finally they didn't fix the issue so the wear marks cam back in two hours.

Not wanting to relive this nightmare I just fixed the problem myself. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153498
Sux, they were joy riding in your SS? What !! I would be LIVID , work too hard for it to let some <expletive deleted> rag on my car. Hope you at least read them the riot act or something. Maybe go to their manager and then their manager? I don't know. But that's just wrong, totally wrong. Your hard work to buy that car. They need to fork over some $$$ for when it's time to replace the P-Zeros sooner. And a scratch to top it off? Oh yeah, you'd have to restrain me.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #420
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Sux, they were joy riding in your SS? What !! I would be LIVID , work too hard for it to let some <expletive deleted> rag on my car. Hope you at least read them the riot act or something. Maybe go to their manager and then their manager? I don't know. But that's just wrong, totally wrong. Your hard work to buy that car. They need to fork over some $$$ for when it's time to replace the P-Zeros sooner. And a scratch to top it off? Oh yeah, you'd have to restrain me.
My service mgr was pretty cool and I was compensated quite well for all my troubles. Sux that it all happened, but he earned my respect making it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Same here. The top looks pretty loose in a few spots, but I can already see it improving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
Does your still howl like it is in a hurricane when doing down the road or did it fix itself?

-Funk
Mine has gotten a little quieter on its own.
Quote:
Totally forgot about the whole re-tinting of the rear window.
Dealership re-tinted my window. Drago77 wanted limo tint so the dealer couldn't "legally" do that.