Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #43
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
LOL
I don't get why some people are finding my comments funny. I am speaking my opinion as a guy that loves Chevy and owns a Camaro. These are the kinds of opinions that Chevy should pay attention to. Guys who love the bowtie, but aren't so blindly loyal we can't see reality.

A car that has been on the market for what, 5 years? Is still able to meet or exceed our performance. It also isn't going to be too much longer before they release their new generation.

The 5th gen Camaro is an awesome machine, or I wouldn't have plunked down the money for one, but the novelty of being the new kid is only going to last so long, and that's going to affect sales.

All my first comment was saying, basically, is that I hope Chev will take a page from Ford's book, and have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Ford sat back for a year and let Chevy unleash 426 horses of fury against their puny 315 hp V8, then they punched back hard.

Personally, as a car guy, I love the competition because it means better cars for everyone. I am just saying that the 5th gen isn't going to get any lighter and we need some sweet tricks to keep us in the running till the Alpha based one comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #44
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
I don't get why some people are finding my comments funny. I am speaking my opinion as a guy that loves Chevy and owns a Camaro. These are the kinds of opinions that Chevy should pay attention to. Guys who love the bowtie, but aren't so blindly loyal we can't see reality.
I took issue with them, because they were.....let's use the word "off".

A car that has been on the market for what, 5 years? Is still able to meet or exceed our performance. It also isn't going to be too much longer before they release their new generation.

The 5th gen Camaro is an awesome machine, or I wouldn't have plunked down the money for one, but the novelty of being the new kid is only going to last so long, and that's going to affect sales.
The Mustang can meet our performance. Depending on what model you're talking about, it can exceed it. This is true. However...it's still selling more (last month I think it was almost double) than its nearest competitor with minimal incentives and what seems like a slanted automotive media against it.

That would lend itself to the assertion that the design, quality, performance, and price...(ie the overall package) is still much more appealing than the competition. And the Camaro's been out for two years now...the initial "newness" factor usually wears off after the first year or so. If that was the only reason people were buying, sales would have dumped back in '10...right now, people are buying it because they LIKE it.

All my first comment was saying, basically, is that I hope Chev will take a page from Ford's book, and have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Ford sat back for a year and let Chevy unleash 426 horses of fury against their puny 315 hp V8, then they punched back hard.
So...who should be taking notes from who?

One thing's for certain, and you'll have to trust me, but please take it to heart: the people at Chevy aren't resting on their behinds because the Camaro's still selling. They're ALWAYS at work on something new and cool...You've got to remember, though, we're still only in the first chapter, while Ford's almost done...They've come out with an amazing convertible, we'll see what they have ready for the 2012 MY, and obviously, the ZL1's not that far away...and is that it? Heeeeeck No!

Just don't let the Marketing Machine lure you into thinking Ford has all the right stuff and Chevy's got a finger up their nose...it couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #45
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Corvette tuner in Tampa. Camaro tuner in Tampa. GTO firebird Trans Am Truck Tuner

www.TampaTuning.com

You cant keep up with techology and automotive advances.

My 2000 C5 after dumping about $10K into it has 450RWHP and handles great. within 8 years when the LS3 was released, Its was stock about 50 RWHP less then mine.

Then GM throws a 550 HP LSA into a caddy. WTF !

there will always be a car faster and nicer addition in time.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #46
10spokess
Wild and Cammed

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
There is rumor that the next Camaro/ Corvette will be using a 5.5L high reving V8
Old 03-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #47
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
There is rumor that the next Camaro/ Corvette will be using a 5.5L high reving V8
The rumor is much more than just that!

The next gen V8s, "Gen V", will use Direct Injection, VVT, AFM and "an advanced new combustion process" among other things to build on the already legendary performance of the Gen IV V8 engines...(Do I sound like a spokesperson, yet? )

There's a prototype of this engine being used in the C6.R racecars, which happens to displace 5.5L as that is the limit in the series...because of that, somewhere it's been assumed that'll be the displacement of one of the production engines...maybe.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #48
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
OH and FWIW, I am 'On the list' for a ZL-1 at the local dealership too, so it's not all doom and gloom.
I REALLY wish/hope this gen V motor could sneak in on the last couple years of 5th gen Camaro production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #49
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInMoscow View Post
And it took how long to approve? What I recall was seeing that beautiful show car in 2006 and then waiting for a 2010 model. It seemed like forever!
~6 months
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #50
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
No. Holden knows what they're doing.

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #51
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I'm anxiously awaiting the 6th gen Camaro with the smaller Alpha chassis. My only complaint about my 2010 is that its built on a full-size chassis rather than a smaller 'pony' car chassis. I'm hoping it'll be about 500 lbs lighter as well (not likely, I know, because by the time it comes out it'll probably be carrying another 500 lbs of mandatory safety equipment)

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #52
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex33x View Post
So anyone concerned? Isn't the alpha platform supposed to be out pretty soon? I dont want my ZL1 to look old after a year or two. What do you guys think?
I hate these types of threads and normally just don't post but I have to ask, why the hell are you going to care if the ZL1 looks dated or not when you already have a 2010 camaro done the way you like it and probably not gonna get a ZL1, so why would that affect you?

I just can't understand why people who and thats most on this forum care so much about a car they won't own? I mean whats the point.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #53
alex33x

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
I'm anxiously awaiting the 6th gen Camaro with the smaller Alpha chassis. My only complaint about my 2010 is that its built on a full-size chassis rather than a smaller 'pony' car chassis. I'm hoping it'll be about 500 lbs lighter as well (not likely, I know, because by the time it comes out it'll probably be carrying another 500 lbs of mandatory safety equipment)
500lbs less would be corvette terrytory, I doubt we'll see them that light, but maybe 3500-3600lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
I hate these types of threads and normally just don't post but I have to ask, why the hell are you going to care if the ZL1 looks dated or not when you already have a 2010 camaro done the way you like it and probably not gonna get a ZL1, so why would that affect you?

I just can't understand why people who and thats most on this forum care so much about a car they won't own? I mean whats the point.
Actually I am getting a ZL1, and Im making my 2010 a daily driver, right now I have an 09 Cobalt that I got the same same day I got my 2010, as daily driver. I'm going to trade the cobalt in and. I'll be placing my order as soon as Chevy allows me to. Which is why Im worried about the alpha platform.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #54
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
To all of those talking about the 4 cylinders, Ford is dropping the Ecoboost turbo'd 4 cyl from the new Taurus SHO into the Mustang.....going to drop in between the V6 and the V8 in terms of power, somewhere to the tune of about 360-370hp....

It can be done, and done while getting quality MPG's....so it's not a stretch by any factor to expect it in the Camaro. I mean, think about it....both the current Gen Mustang and Camaro have 300+ hp V6's getting basically 30mpg. You couldn't get that kind of mileage in a 345hp V8 even 8 years ago...

As for the talk of the Mustangs beating us.... I'm going to have to disagree.....they perform well in a stock capacity, but they've also had pretty much the same design for the last 6 years....they've had the time to tweak and rework it. More to the point, the 5.0 was already in testing even before the Camaro was released....so it wasn't them punching back, just broke in the right manner for them.

The current Gen Camaro is still at best, not much more than a test product that went live. The current Mustang has been king of the roost because of the absence of the Camaro, but that time is changing..... Don't even get me started on the Challenger...
DevilsReject97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #55
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
To all of those talking about the 4 cylinders, Ford is dropping the Ecoboost turbo'd 4 cyl from the new Taurus SHO into the Mustang.....going to drop in between the V6 and the V8 in terms of power, somewhere to the tune of about 360-370hp....

It can be done, and done while getting quality MPG's....so it's not a stretch by any factor to expect it in the Camaro. I mean, think about it....both the current Gen Mustang and Camaro have 300+ hp V6's getting basically 30mpg. You couldn't get that kind of mileage in a 345hp V8 even 8 years ago...

As for the talk of the Mustangs beating us.... I'm going to have to disagree.....they perform well in a stock capacity, but they've also had pretty much the same design for the last 6 years....they've had the time to tweak and rework it. More to the point, the 5.0 was already in testing even before the Camaro was released....so it wasn't them punching back, just broke in the right manner for them.

The current Gen Camaro is still at best, not much more than a test product that went live. The current Mustang has been king of the roost because of the absence of the Camaro, but that time is changing..... Don't even get me started on the Challenger...
The SHO has a turbo 6, not 4. Their 2.0L ecoboost 4 is supposed to be between 230 and 280 hp from anything I've heard.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #56
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The SHO has a turbo 6, not 4. Their 2.0L ecoboost 4 is supposed to be between 230 and 280 hp from anything I've heard.
That was a typo, and thanks for the catch. I did mean to state it was the Turbo 6, not 4...

If they can get any kind of decent mileage out of it, it's not a stretch to see GM follow suit....

http://oxmoorautogroup.wordpress.com...-bill-ford-jr/
DevilsReject97 is offline   Reply With Quote