Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #43
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
I wouldn't go bigger than 22" just because ZL1 is a high performance car and you want to find a nice balance of looks and performance.
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #44
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm not.

20" is perfect in my eyes. Any smaller and I don't think it fills the wheel-well enough, any bigger and it starts to look "DUB" to me....

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #45
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
Is gross.

I concur!
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #46
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by collins motorsport View Post
Why is it that people who don't like large rims try to make those of us who do look like asses? I mean I don't make it a point to tell you that I think you cars with little rims look like they're rolling on donuts to me.

There comes a point when its just to big, 20s are perfect. I agree with you on the too small. Those 30s or 35s on that Camaro on U tube just look disgusting, that womans license should be revolked.I personally havent seen anthing more revolting in my life and the scary part is, they think it looks good ! arghhhh!
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #47
blackSSRS

Drives: 2010 RS
been thinking of 22's. now that i've seen 24's on the camaro... i actually think 24 is the perfect size rim. and those saying no bigger than 22's were saying no bigger than 20's 5 years ago. its obvious it will hamper performance a little but with 580 hp who gives a sh*t... and i doubt its as much as people make it out to... anyone do a 1/4 mile run with 20's vs 22's vs 24's? i highly doubt its much different than riding with your fat girlfriend/wife in the car....
blackSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #48
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Why in the hell would you put 24's on a ZL1 when it is built to be a performance car. You don't see the mustang retards put 24's on the GT500. Thats just plain stupid, sorry if i offend someone, but wouldnt you want to receive the full performance of the ZL1 that you paid 60k for?? I throw up in my mouth when I see any camaro on anything bigger than 20's because its not made for that. Its a beautiful special edition camaro, please dont mess it up by throwing rims on it.

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #49
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
Why in the hell would you put 24's on a ZL1 when it is built to be a performance car. You don't see the mustang retards put 24's on the GT500. Thats just plain stupid, sorry if i offend someone, but wouldnt you want to receive the full performance of the ZL1 that you paid 60k for?? I throw up in my mouth when I see any camaro on anything bigger than 20's because its not made for that. Its a beautiful special edition camaro, please dont mess it up by throwing rims on it.
Actually the Camaro was built for 22" in the back 21" in the front but other wise I agree
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #50
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Actually the Camaro was built for 22" in the back 21" in the front but other wise I agree
Are you referring to the concept car that couldn't go above 30 or 35 mph?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #51
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
why are you guys worried about the next man's car? worry about your cars. simple.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #52
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
I know its his car and all, just hate to see something quite beautiful be destroyed in my eyes. Just my opinion.

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #53
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
The title of this thread made me die a little inside. :( What the heck would you do this for? I mean it would KILL the performance... effectively HOBBLE the car...

Just my opinion, of course.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #54
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think most of us are getting off-topic a bit. He didn't ask what we thought about the look, more about the fitment. Let's keep comments strict from here-on-out. People are getting and have been borderline rude with some comments.

I'm ashamed to admit, but I haven't researched the actual tire height, nor have I calculated it yet, however, ZL1 is only 7mm lower than SS. So far, it sounds like the springs are slightly shorter for the front, and the only comments I've read from reviewers has been they are variable rate - nothing mentioned of differences in height. Larger 24s are likely to require a taller tire, which will likely raise ZL1 up a little bit. 25.4mm fit in 1-inch, so you can see it wasn't lowered all that much. I think it will actually likely have more clearance than SS - which may be good for that splitter

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #55
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I think most of us are getting off-topic a bit. He didn't ask what we thought about the look, more about the fitment. Let's keep comments strict from here-on-out. People are getting and have been borderline rude with some comments.

I'm ashamed to admit, but I haven't researched the actual tire height, nor have I calculated it yet, however, ZL1 is only 7mm lower than SS. So far, it sounds like the springs are slightly shorter for the front, and the only comments I've read from reviewers has been they are variable rate - nothing mentioned of differences in height. Larger 24s are likely to require a taller tire, which will likely raise ZL1 up a little bit. 25.4mm fit in 1-inch, so you can see it wasn't lowered all that much. I think it will actually likely have more clearance than SS - which may be good for that splitter
I just checked. It seems like the rear SS tires are slightly larger than the ZL1's (6.5 mm) and the fronts are are significantly smaller (by 21 mm). If the car is 7mm lower, then the front springs would actually be slightly longer in the ZL1 than they are in the SS. Rears would be a touch shorter to lower it evenly, but if they're measuring from the middle of the car or taking an average ... it would work out to about 7mm if they don't change the springs at all

Ah, the factoids we learn when bored ...
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Last edited by DGthe3; 02-01-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added "if they don't change the springs at all" to the end
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #56
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I just checked. It seems like the rear SS tires are slightly larger than the ZL1's (6.5 mm) and the fronts are are significantly smaller (by 21 mm). If the car is 7mm lower, then the front springs would actually be slightly longer in the ZL1 than they are in the SS. Rears would be a touch shorter to lower it evenly, but if they're measuring from the middle of the car or taking an average ... it would work out to about 7mm lower if they don't change the springs at all

Ah, the factoids we learn when bored ...
I recall reading they used the same springs as the SS on the car. The Gen-III MR system assumes a greater authority in the suspension system.