Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #85
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I ran into this same issue when I bought my 2011 2SS/RS Vert.
I will normally go to the Chevrolet web site to research new vehicles, and go thorough the 'build your own' process to get a feel for the pricies of the options, etc, etc.

i didn't realize till after I had taken delivery of the 2011, that the tires were 'summer' tires and shoudl not be used in cold temps.

It would have been nice if that fact was mentioned on the web site under thr tire section, and it would have been even better if they offerred all season tires as an option.

and no the sales person did not point out the tires when we went through the ordering checklist either.
I have to wonder just how many folks outside the tire industry realize this on a gut level rather than it being just one more warning added to the many being thrown at us from all directions. Maybe its message just gets lost in the noise. Even when you read it in print, the full impact just isn't there.

The OE tires on my wife's car are listed as "Max Performance Summer" at Tire Rack and carry TR's warning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Rack
It is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
I actually had somebody at the dealership question me about why I had fitted a set of performance all-seasons when that car was in for periodic service. I'd mentioned that I'd just put my winter tire & wheel package on and that rotating them would be unnecessary. So if I had ever trusted a dealership employee to caution me with respect to summer performance tires (I hadn't), that trust would have evaporated right then and there.

Within my experience, not all summer performance tires that carry this warning are equally sensitive. The summer performance Bridgestones on my wife's car and on one of our other cars don't seem to lose grip as fast as the Goodyears that see "3 season duty" on the Mustang.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #86
Callchuck

Drives: 2012 ZL1 black camaro
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Pirelli P Zero installed on the ZL1 for everyday driving?
Callchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #87
shreded1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I just Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my ZL1 and it handles much better in the cold. I had to go to 315's in the back and stayed with the 285's in the front. They are 300AA rated and have a 30000 mile warranty. I have had them a month and not an issue in the cold and I had many with the Goodyear's!
shreded1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #88
Asanti

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Got a call from the dealership where I purchased my car. For winter they are recommending wheels of 21x8.5 and 21x9.5 but couldn't tell me why and Pirelli P Zero tires in the stock sizes of 285/35/20 front and 305/35/20 rear. All of this for approximately $5,500. What a deal. I have a call in to GM to see what they will recommend.
Asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #89
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
the 21's from GM are not for the zl1 or the 1le... your dealer is an idiot
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #90
Asanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
the 21's from GM are not for the zl1 or the 1le... your dealer is an idiot
You won't get an argument from me.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #91
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asanti View Post
Got a call from the dealership where I purchased my car. For winter they are recommending wheels of 21x8.5 and 21x9.5 but couldn't tell me why and Pirelli P Zero tires in the stock sizes of 285/35/20 front and 305/35/20 rear. All of this for approximately $5,500. What a deal. I have a call in to GM to see what they will recommend.
Also, that price is insane. You should be in a good set for winter at $2500 max.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #92
Asanti

I talked directly with GM and they suggest that we stay with the asymmetrical tires, 285 front and 305 rear. However they acknowledge that there really aren't any manufacturers today that are making an all-season tire with those specs. GM told me that the ZL1 spec sheet also approves the use of a 275/40/20 tire. Yesterday I ordered a set of four Continental Extreme Contact DWS in 275/40/20 and new wheels from Tire Rack. This afternoon they were sitting on my front porch. I will get them installed by the dealer next week. Can't wait!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #93
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Is there any other tire information buried elsewhere in the ZL1 manuals separate from the very mildly worded section on "Summer Tires" found on page 10-50 in I guess is the standard Camaro owner's manual that everybody gets?

I wonder if the same size has been OK'd for the 1LE . . .

Norm
Old 03-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #94
Asanti

I have a call into GM to see if we can get the full spec sheets. I will let you know.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #95
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Is there any other tire information buried elsewhere in the ZL1 manuals separate from the very mildly worded section on "Summer Tires" found on page 10-50 in I guess is the standard Camaro owner's manual that everybody gets?

I wonder if the same size has been OK'd for the 1LE . . .

Norm
It uses the exact same wheels front and back - so I don't see why not. They only opted for 285s in the back of the 1LE because the power wasn't there, and they could take advantage of a square setup for handling....

What more are you looking for about the summer tires besides what's in the manual and has been posted here?

EDIT: I'd like to restate, that I am REALLY surprised at how many people didn't realize it's not wise to drive summer tires in cold temperatures....
Old 03-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #96
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
It uses the exact same wheels front and back - so I don't see why not. They only opted for 285s in the back of the 1LE because the power wasn't there, and they could take advantage of a square setup for handling....

What more are you looking for about the summer tires besides what's in the manual and has been posted here?

EDIT: I'd like to restate, that I am REALLY surprised at how many people didn't realize it's not wise to drive summer tires in cold temperatures....

I like your edit there. Having this in mind the whole time has made this thread most entertaining.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #97
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I don't think the wording in the owner's manual conveys a level urgency consistent with the problem, and leaves too much up to individual assessment of what constitutes "cold temperatures". Never mind that you're just as likely to encounter a problem even if you only rarely drive the car during cold temperatures (the OM says "frequent driving in cold temperatures . . . etc.).

I'm contrasting the way this matter is being addressed (with little more than a polite suggestion to install winter tires) - against the level of urgency mentioned the page before (in the 2013 OM) about not spinning the tires in excess of 35 mph (which specifically mentions the possibility of exploding the tire).

I'm afraid that I'm not at all surprised at the number of people who are not sufficiently aware how significant the loss of grip can be. Knowing it intellectually well enough to pass a question concerning it on a driver's license written exam is still no substitute for knowing it on a personal gut-level.

The average driver just gets in his car and drives off paying little or no attention to how "stuck down" the tires are. Apparently this attitude extends at least partway up into the realm of "enthusiasts", which is truly unfortunate.

Norm
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #98
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I don't think the wording in the owner's manual constitutes a sufficiently strong warning and leaves too much up to individual assessment of what constitutes "cold temperatures", never mind that you're likely to encounter a problem even if you only rarely drive the car during cold temperatures (the OM says "frequent driving in cold temperatures . . . etc.).

I'm contrasting this matter being addressed with little more than a polite suggestion to install winter tires against the level of urgency mentioned the page before (in the 2013 OM) about not spinning the tires in excess of 35 mph (which specifically mentions the possibility of exploding the tire).

I'm afraid that I'm not at all surprised at the number of people who are not sufficiently aware how significant the loss of grip can be. Knowing it intellectually well enough to pass a question concerning it on a driver's license written exam is still no substitute for knowing it on a personal gut-level.

The average driver just gets in his car and drives off paying little or no attention to how "stuck down" the tires are. Apparently this attitude extends at least partway up into the realm of "enthusiasts", which is truly unfortunate.

Norm
I guess I can see your point.

But in my mind...when the dealer [should], and I agree with this earlier point, inform the buyer that these are summer tires....and the owner reads "summer tires: beware cold temps" in the manual....and the owner then notices the car getting skittish as the temps drop into the low 50s, 40s, 30s.....

in my mind...these truths should be enough to either have the owner park the car, or have the owner return to the dealer and complain - at which point he/she gets re-informed that these tires were meant for warm temps only for max performance...and that they either need to park it, or get at least all-seasons for the colder temps.

But like I said - I definitely see your point regarding the average driver...I just tend to believe the majority of them will understand this....

To the few who don't:

There's always outliers...I'm not a huge fan of stupid-proofing everything. But...I digress.