Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #99
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro guy View Post
i doubt the OP's story is 100% accurate. he bashes law enforcement openly yet he addressed them as "officer" BS... im not saying that the officers didnt act that way but i doubt he acted polite.

im police and ive written about four 2010 camaro drivers for speeding. 1 didnt have insurance. 2 had fake temporary tags in the window which they admited that they couldnt afford the sales tax yet. 1 was driving careless and imprudent. it's idiots like them that jack our insurance rates up.
How exactly was the OP bashing law enforcement? And honestly, if I got pulled over for that, I'd be a lil annoyed with the guy too. Should they have just sat there and held up traffic longer? Much safer to give a short beep and get traffic flowing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller66 View Post
Well, you know how when you watch the news and there is nothing going on, they tend to put stupid things on just to fill the time space.......cop must have been bored.
probably the case.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #100
grip750

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
When he pulled me over he was polite, I just thought it was a little crazy being that I did not lay on the horn. I also have seen cars hit other cars from behind at green lights, so it was also to maybe avoid an accident.....
grip750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #101
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010CamaroSS/RS View Post
I can't say I have ever heard of that, I didn't relize you couldn't use the horn to wake up dumbass drivers for not paying attention.
lol
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #102
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by grip750 View Post
When he pulled me over he was polite, I just thought it was a little crazy being that I did not lay on the horn. I also have seen cars hit other cars from behind at green lights, so it was also to maybe avoid an accident.....
Being stopped when and where you aren't supposed to be is just as dangerous as running stop signs/red lights.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #103
camaro guy

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
my post was aimed at attymf. mistakenly put in OP
camaro guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #104
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I wasn't aware there was any law in any state that it made it illegal to use a vehicles horn??????
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #105
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
My dad always taught me: There are cops who can handle the power - and there are those who can't.

I suspect this was a "can't handle it" kinda guy.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #106
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
I wasn't aware there was any law in any state that it made it illegal to use a vehicles horn??????
There are plenty of states that have laws against using the horn unnecessarily.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #107
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
Illinois is another one. Although not quite like Florida's, Illinois's statute states that,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 625 ILCS 5/12-601
........The driver of a motor vehicle shall when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation give audible warning with his horn, but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.

Now, given that part of the statute, one might argue that the OP's situation warranted use of the horn, if in Illinois. However, the vehicle he honked at was breaking any laws, and thus wasn't being operated in an unsafe manner. That person had the right to wait till the green arrow was illuminated or wait until they felt it was safe to proceed with the left turn on the regular green light. It wasn't up to the OP to decide when the vehicle in front of him felt safe to turn.

Not trying to be an ass, but you have to look at the cop's side of the story and the totality of the circumstances. The officer made a legal stop based upon what he saw and Florida law. There is no questioning that. Was he looking for something else? Possibly. By the OP not getting a citation for it, and by the OP's own words stating the cop wasn't being rude or anything, I don;t think he was abusing any power. Rather, I think he was doing his job and doing a bit of fishing. When the OP didn't turn up to be anything more then someone who just honked his horn, he was let go.

That's it, that's all. Of course, I doubt I'll change anyone's mind about what happened. That's cool, whatever. But know that many drug busts, warrants executed, DUIs and suspended drivers happen and are taken off the streets due to stops like this.