Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #1149
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_eddie View Post
Does anyone know with certainty if they are tuned from the factory for 91 or 93 octane. I have been having a debate about this with some friends. I say it is 91 since that is more accessible to get and what is recommended in manual 93 octane will only be a better fuel for the best possible performance. He is saying that it is tuned for 93 and is shipped from factory with 93 in it. I am trying to find out for sure.
Hi Eddie,
I worked in the Facilities department at the Car Plant in Oshawa until July, 09. If memory serves, they only had Mid-Grade (89 Octane) gas in the bulk tanks at that time.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #1150
JCL-2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS Imperial Blue
so i always thought my car was an under-performer, read this thread and pulled the fuse at 1pm put them back in at 7pm, What a difference, before i had trouble breaking the tires in any transmission mode. Now i break the tires in any mode including TC on. My only question which i cant seem to find the answer to in this thread, why does the fuse have to be pulled for a certain amount of time. i would think pulling it out and putting it right back in would do the same thing, unless there is some kind of capasitor holding a charge and needs to drain first.
Great post , thanks to the OP!!
2010 2SS IBM L99 6A, Janetty Tune, Dynatech headers and cats, Flowmaster exaust, SLP underdive pulley, CAI inc. CAI, MSD wires, LED's -taillights, side markers, knight rider, interior, Chevy emblem, rear plate
JCL-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #1151
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
I assume the 2010-11 have two fuel maps like the 4th gen. A high and low octane map. So is this pulling of the fuses just resetting the map back to the high map. I can do that with my EFILive once I get my car.

If you use low octane gas by mistake this will be reset back to the low map and you will need to pull the fuses again.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #1152
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlingSS View Post
I assume the 2010-11 have two fuel maps like the 4th gen. A high and low octane map. So is this pulling of the fuses just resetting the map back to the high map. I can do that with my EFILive once I get my car.

If you use low octane gas by mistake this will be reset back to the low map and you will need to pull the fuses again.

Bill
if your car perceives that it has low-octane fuel in it, it will switch to the low-map.

I have always put in 92 octane in my Camaro and about once a month or so do a fuse pull and so far have noticed a change a couple of times.

I am sure its a self-defense mechanism for GM, but if they could make these cars slightly less sensitive to the fuel octane level, it would make things easier.

but, as soon as I can afford it, I will be getting an engine and a trans tune... bye bye AFM, bye bye low-map, bye bye slow shifts...

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #1153
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
if your car perceives that it has low-octane fuel in it, it will switch to the low-map.

I have always put in 92 octane in my Camaro and about once a month or so do a fuse pull and so far have noticed a change a couple of times.

I am sure its a self-defense mechanism for GM, but if they could make these cars slightly less sensitive to the fuel octane level, it would make things easier.

but, as soon as I can afford it, I will be getting an engine and a trans tune... bye bye AFM, bye bye low-map, bye bye slow shifts...
You just need to copy the high map to the low map, so if it switches the map will be the same.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #1154
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlingSS View Post
You just need to copy the high map to the low map, so if it switches the map will be the same.

Bill
Exactly... bye bye low-map

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #1155
SuperH
Synergized

Drives: 2011 SGM M6 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to SuperH Send a message via AIM to SuperH Send a message via MSN to SuperH Send a message via Yahoo to SuperH
Wow...

Conversation with my dealer, who gave me two fillups, since no one was there to run through "Delivery" with me.

At "Delivery":
Me: "So, on the first fuel up, did you use regular or premium?"
Dealer: "We used regular. We've noticed that on a stock configuration, there has been no noticable difference between regular and premium fuel for the LS3s."
Me: "Ah, ok."
Dealer: "If you would like, when we will it up again we can put in premium, and you'll see there is no difference."
Me: "Sounds great! Thanks, and I'll report back!"

*Moving forward a bit*...

I noticed some bucking in second gear. It didn't seem like the timing was being advanced enough, even though I continued to run premium. What I ended up noticing was that premium was running worse.

So, I first saw this thread last night... I pulled the fuses, let it sit overnight. Then, I left for work this morning, and...

No bucking, or bogging on takeoff! Much better throttle response! It seems like a different car. Just... wow!

SuperH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #1156
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
So, does anyone know for sure if the fuse pull procedure for the 2011 is the same as that for the 2010?

I already did it on my 2011 L99. I didnt notice a difference but didnt expect to since my car was filled with 93 octane from the start. My MPG's are absolutely abysmal though no matter what I do, so I think I will give the fuse pull another shot. I just want to know if it is in fact the same #5 and #20 fuses that have to be pulled.
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #1157
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #1158
audiofile

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel 2SS/RS
Yes, same for 2011 L99.
audiofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #1159
Blown355

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Someone please try this. If you think your having this issue, get a scan tool, check your timing at the upper rpm's. If it is around 10, pull these fuses. Let your car set for a few hours then get another recording. See if timing has improved I purchased the Actron for $99. My timing at the upper rpm's was ~20. Seat of the pant results are notoriously inaccurate.
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #1160
GATORSS

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Mibadd, did mine last night and I really think it doesn't matter which one you reinstall first. Didn't really notice any power improvements in spite of the dealer putting 87 in it last week when I bought it.
GATORSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #1161
Gizz69
Tony

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Blk/Blk
I did this fuse pull on Monday night, and left them out for about 10 hours. I put them back in on Tuesday, and took it out for a good 45 min ride through multiple speeds and conditions. I can say that the car is a LOT stronger after doing this. I have driven it several times since then and it is like it is a completely different animal. Amazing difference!
Gizz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #1162
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown355 View Post
Someone please try this. If you think your having this issue, get a scan tool, check your timing at the upper rpm's. If it is around 10, pull these fuses. Let your car set for a few hours then get another recording. See if timing has improved I purchased the Actron for $99. My timing at the upper rpm's was ~20. Seat of the pant results are notoriously inaccurate.
I have a scangauge, so I might actually check this soon. Although I don't have any problems right now.

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
3min3m2 is offline   Reply With Quote