Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
a day-old contest

Check this out. Fbodfather, indirectly, lets us know another tidbit We'll see who here has the initiative to find out what.

NOTICE: don't bother posting up an "entry"...it's over, and somebody already won.

LINK
Old 10-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
I don't have an account over there, and I don't really feel like signing up for one. Anyone feel like posting the pics here?
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham

My bad...
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
It almost looks like they're listening to something. Perhaps the exhaust note on the Camaro? My only question would be what are they looking at?

My thoughts:

The sound quality must be important as they are all wearing headphones. If it was just someone talking, they would use speakers.

the image on the computer (most likely what is being projected onto the wall) looks like audio.

The happy face on most of those in attendance shows that they are pleased with what they are seeing/hearing.

This being said, I would guess that they are watching the audio track while listening to someone revving the engine in either the concept or prototype Camaro.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
As Pencil.Fight said: if you look at the computer screen in the first picture you can see a graph that looks like it could represent one of a few things...

1. An audio waveform.
2. A graphic representation of RPMs or something.
3. Maybe it's just something else and I'm reading too much in to it.

Another good point by Pencil.Fight is that since they are all wearing headphones it probably means that audio quality matters. However, the image on the PC isn't necessarily what they're watching.

Was there any sort of text with these pictures where they were initially uploaded?
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
bprange

Drives: '94 Red/Black Z/28
Horsepower curve, torque curve? Could they be listening to a recorded dyno run?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Too late for me...I already read the winning response.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:00 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Does this mean what I think it means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbodfather
AND WE HAVE A WINNER.............

There were a couple of reasons we put this contest out there.

Many of you have come up to us over the years and said "hey -- the new Camaro has to SOUND mean ......." --

Well -- I'm here to tell you that we agree!

That said, there is a Federal Noise Driveby Standard that every manufacturer has to meet. ( Exterior Noise Passby ) -- and the law essentially says that we must pass a commonized, repeatable test -- a series of sound measuring devices -- and that under no conditions can the vehicle create -- I'll use the generic 'noise' -- higher than 80db.

Now -- this can also impact tires as well! On many trucks, tire tread specs have had to change because some tread patterns will violate this standard.

Historic Tidbit -- take a look at some 1996 and 1997 Camaros or Firebirds with LT1 engines -- with the Automatic Trans -- note that the PRNDL does not include a first gear -- and the reason is that if you downshifted to first gear-- you would exceed 80db.

Second sticker content does not have to meet same limits as I recall.

There are a lot of engineers in that room -- as well as Tom Peters from Design -- and we were comparing exhaust notes on various entries that are available on the market today -- as well as a few we've got under development. We also listened (previously) to several 'historic' Camaros and Firebirds.

Exhaust notes are interesting -- you want some 'burble' and some "growl' but you don't want 'spitting' or 'whistle' -- and exhaust notes change based on interior noise -- driveby at cruise -- driveby at W.O.T. etc.....so we were also looking at graphs to determine 'sweet spots' and such.....

We want you to be proud of the stock exhaust that we offer on the new Camaro.

And yes, we want to make a Mustang owner green with envy.

(and yes, we know some of you will rip the stock exhaust system off in about 5 seconds and put an SLP loudmouth -- or a chambered -- or perhaps Corsa on your new Camaro.....)

The point? We DO sweat the details. More than you'd ever imagine.

The winner?

Well -- the first guess said something along the lines that we were listening to the LSx based engine. Not true. We were listening to competitor engines -- so JCAMERE94Z28 -- our friend from South Florida wins!

Jonathan -- send me your mailing address along with a telephone number -- and when I return to Detroit next week, I'll get that poster out to you!

Oh -- and for those of you who thought we were looking at commercials? We're not working on that as of yet.

Cheryl - John - Scott
If I read into that right, there is going to be an engine (plus exhaust) in the Camaro that will burble and growl and sound mean. And they are looking at engines that are under development . . .
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

I think he was talking more about exaust systems, and tuning....but, yeah - They want the Camaro to sound mean:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbodfather
We want you to be proud of the stock exhaust that we offer on the new Camaro.

And yes, we want to make a Mustang owner green with envy.
That's what I was getting at in my first post. GM does care what it sounds like, and they are develpoing a good sound.