Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #29
Melkor

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS w/1le Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Your 1LE has standard SS brakes. So yes the standard SS wheels will fit over the brakes.

FYI you bumped a thread over a year old.
6 of one, half-dozen of another. If I started a new thread I'd get people giving me crap about not using the search function.

But aside from that, my dealership told me I didn't have any real wheel options because of the brakes.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:04 AM   #30
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
I did the math myself when I was looking at buying my 1LE - decided a few things:

1) I didn't want to corrode the bottom of this car with the nasty chemicals they use in the winter here in CO.

2) The price of a decent set of wheels and tires to use half of the year was not much less than going out and getting a used Jeep. (Have one new Jeep in the garage, but it's "her" Jeep, so I have to find my own.)

3) The 1LE is uncommon. As such, I'd like to keep this car a long time, without racking up insane miles. A winter "beater" in the garage seems to be the cure still.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #31
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
6 of one, half-dozen of another. If I started a new thread I'd get people giving me crap about not using the search function.

But aside from that, my dealership told me I didn't have any real wheel options because of the brakes.

You are right about that, you just can't win sometimes.

As you should know though, most salesman dont know ANYTHING about cars except that they get paid when they sell one.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #32
Melkor

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS w/1le Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonGPF View Post
I did the math myself when I was looking at buying my 1LE - decided a few things:

1) I didn't want to corrode the bottom of this car with the nasty chemicals they use in the winter here in CO.

2) The price of a decent set of wheels and tires to use half of the year was not much less than going out and getting a used Jeep. (Have one new Jeep in the garage, but it's "her" Jeep, so I have to find my own.)

3) The 1LE is uncommon. As such, I'd like to keep this car a long time, without racking up insane miles. A winter "beater" in the garage seems to be the cure still.
I'm in agreement with you, but I may have to get it through this coming winter before I can make a "beater" purchase. Maybe not, but I want to be prepared for it either way.

Also, in Montana, even spring and fall have days I SHOULDN'T be driving on these tires. So I'd rather get something more all season friendly just to have on there and then keep the Eagles for track days.

Incidentally, we don't use chemicals here in town in Missoula, but we use gravel... which makes me cry even at low speeds.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:11 AM   #33
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
This is what I did:

Here in WA, one can lease a Nissan Leaf S for $199/month for 24 months with 0 down. If you do 12K miles a year, it means you will save $200+/month driving this car by not having to pay for gas. In short, you lease a brand new (and very surprisingly comfortable) car, contribute less to the pollution, and keep your other car for summer. And the best thing is, this service (provided by Nissan; Leafs are built in US) is provided to you for free as long as you already drive about 1000 miles a month.
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #34
ProfessorRhone

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE
Here are a couple posts about 1LE Tires. Summed up, it looks like quite a few have gone with either Michellin Pilot Sport A/S 3 or Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314778

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t+sport+season

Living in TX I have been debating on what I should do as well. We only get ice/snow a couple times a year for a few days each (typically). But we do have extended periods below 40 when there is absolutely NO precipitation around. I have a second vehicle for when that snow/ice comes around but when it's just cold, it's going to be VERY HARD for me to ignore the 1LE and jump in the 10 year old Mazda!! I'm leaning toward getting some stock SS rims with either Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Michellin Pilot Sport AS 3's. Though I may just go the route of putting the new tires on the stock 1LE rims and run them all year...
Dual-Mode, Recaros, Sunroof, Nav
----------------------------------------
ZL1 Rockers
RPI Stealth Splash Guards
De-badged (except blacked-out front bowtie)
ProfessorRhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #35
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Used SS rims come up for sale locally all the time on here:

http://www.chicago5thgen.com/

I'm putting snow tires, Pirellis, on my stock rims, I have black rims with my summer tires up front and drag radials on back.

I haven't put them on the car yet but soon. I'll post up my thoughts. My car runs 12.3's right now and makes 380rwhp.
Your ETs give me hope after I get some decent DRs for the rear. LGM did a full exhaust and tune on my LS3 and I got 409RWHP thanks to Anthony's tune.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #36
notmidlife

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Up here in Ontario most of us order a set of winter tires on rims from the dealer when we buy a new car. This way it gets built into the financing.

A bought a Cobalt that came with Pzeros. I didn't want to drive it in snow but wanted to be able to pull it out on cold/dry days during the winter, so I had the dealer throw in a set of all seasons on rims. It allowed me to drive my car more often, and it was not big deal letting the car sit on them during winter storage. Newer all seasons also work well in snow just in case.
notmidlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #37
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor View Post

Your dealer is a tard. The only difference between standard SS brakes and 1LE brakes is the color of the calipers.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:53 AM   #38
Castrosua

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
I dont want to create a new thread, so Im kind of using this one if thats alright (if anyone still checks it lol)

What kind of miles do you get out of he the Goodyear Eagle Supercar tires? Is it really every year?

Im debating on getting a 1LE and still dont know about rocking it as a DD. Im in NY so salt is nasty at times, but getting a winter beater is not an option, not with 5 cars (got nowhere to keep ANOTHER car lol) My most beater would be my 73 Continental, but I still feel bad about salting it up, since it may have rusted front fenders but its spotless underneath, clean frame, floorboards etc...

Anyway, back to the 1LE, 250-300 per tire doesnt worry me (ive been putting 350 buck tires on my Crown Vic since it was new so maybe its just my perception of tire costs that make that seem ok) I just dont want to have to be swapping tires out every 6 months or a year. Thats a bit excessive. I dont plan on driving like a complete maniac (although a burnout every so often is like..c'com, gotta! because racecar!)

On another note, how much stiffer is it compared to a regular ole SS? I found the SS to be really smooth (couldnt tell the difference between my LS) I have a nasty spine injury so Id have to order it and be unable to drive. Is it comparable to a Z28? My dealer has a used Z28 I could take out for a spin to get a feel.

Thanks!
1972 Lincoln Continental fully original down to paint
Castrosua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:39 AM   #39
Billy10mm

Where are you in NY?
Old 05-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #40
Castrosua

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Rockland county, so close to Jersey that I never put gas in NY lol
1972 Lincoln Continental fully original down to paint
Castrosua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #41
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castrosua View Post
Rockland county, so close to Jersey that I never put gas in NY lol
I'm in Westchester. Let me know if you want to go for a spin in the 1LE and see how it feels on your back.