Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #15
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosss View Post
So therefore you think dealers would go the other way on the price. And I also think this still doesn't give them the right to charge whatever.
Actually they can charge WHATEVER.

Has no one ever paid LESS THAN MSRP? Oh wait, we don't want to talk about that. Cars sell slow, they knock thousands off MSRP. Cars are hot... they mark them up. It's just business and they are in business to make money. Don't want to pay it... shop around.

This is such a double edge sword. Everyone wants a car at steep discounts and never complains when the dealer charges $3000 under MSRP but mark it up $3000 and everyone has a shit fit.

I wouldn't pay it but see nothing wrong with trying.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #16
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
I'd bet you won't see dealers get very far with price gouging on the ZL1. This isn't 2009 when people were desperate to get their hands on a car that hadn't been around for ten years or so. Plus the number of people who might be willing to fork over an extra $2000-5000 on a $30k car is a LOT larger than the number of people who first of all can afford a $65k car, when you add in sales tax, Gas guzzler, etc., and then are a big enough whale that they're willing to pay another $5000-10000 on top of that. This ain't 1999, when someone would just go take out a home equity loan to buy the car. If dealers can't move Vettes and GT500s are already going well under sticker, even before the 2013 news, I don't see dealers defying gravity with the ZL1.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #17
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Just look around. I had to call quite a few places but I found one. Think I contacted 5 that were not getting one, three that tried to bend me over and one that finall steped up and gave me MSRP. There are allocation posted here all the time. I got my at russell chevrolet which was posted in a thread right in this forum. they had one left yesterday morning but it may be gone now.

that is why I think the 2013 GT500 news could be good for people who want his car maybe some early people will back out and dealers will have to take msrp. I mean if the 2013 GT500 lapped the ring in 7:30 and cost 55k I would give you my alocation and by that. I just think it will be a bit overpowered to handle much better but a tad faster in the strait line and top end. I am a domestic car whore not really a ford or chevy guy. I like to have the funest car to drive. that is why I bought a Z06 over the GT500. I think it is funner to drive. I am thinking the ZL1 could be the same unless fords new suspention really knocks it out of the park.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #18
Carzzy

Drives: '24 Camaro 2SS Conv. & '21Blazer
Market adjustment price is all about supply and demand! It is also about dealer greed! This happens whenever a new "hot" model makes it debut! It happens when people are anxious and want to be "the first on the block" with the new model! I can remember when the '84 Vettes came out and the local dealers were trying to get 5 grand over MSRP! The end of the model year the dealers (same dealer) were discounting them 3 grand or more! I say...hold off till the market cools on these new models.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #19
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Quote:
So therefore you think dealers would go the other way on the price. And I also think this still doesn't give them the right to charge whatever.

Sure it does, they have to buy those vehicles to bring them on the lots. Just because the have an allocation for it doesn't mean they have to bring it in.

Honestly, I'm not flaming you, but if you don't like it take your business somewhere else. No one is making you buy the car, don't get sucked into the "I have to be first hype". GM is going to make as many ZL-1s as they can if they make a profit off of them. This car is going to be around for awhile.

Hell I found out that my dealership is getting zero in, I shopped around and the only ones getting them are North of me and they want to charge 10 to 20k over MSRP. I don't have or need the car right now. I talked it over with my wife and she agrees, we're going to wait and maybe just buy a used one off of one of you guys. This way I'm not paying all the stupid gas guzzler tax, higher tags and everything else.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #20
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
There are cars still avail for MSRP. You might have to go out of town to a city like Memphis, TN . As previously suggested, you need to call around. I'd be upset too, and won't pay ADM either. The economy suks regardless of the number of enthusiasts on this forum and this is an expensive car, so the market ultimately may not support much of an ADM. Worst case, when the 2013s come out, you should be able to get a better deal.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #21
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Dealers are independent businesses. They sell GM products and basically have the right to sell for whatever price they can get for the cars they sell. They have every right (like it or not) to do this under the various state laws under which they operate.

This has been beaten to death when the First Fifth Gens came out.

I Ordered from a dealer who would not engage in gouging.They earned my business and they deserved it.

You gotta shop around!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #22
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
I cannot believe I am reading this. No wait, I guess I can. So where do you draw the line on setting the price on something? Who does have the right to determine what to charge for a product? Surely not the buyer!

Nobody is making you buy a ZL1, you are choosing to do so. If you don't like the price it is being offered to you at, DON'T BUY IT!

Look at this way. You have a sharp Gen1 in your signature. If you were to ever sell it, who should set the price on what you would sell it for? You, or someone else?
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #23
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Its called supply and demand, DEAL with it or what it out until they (ZL-1) are setting on the lots. I doubt that will ever happen but they could decide to mass produce them if sells stay sharp. I don't think this will EVER be a mass produced or marketed car.
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #24
JPC

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
I'm NOT paying over sticker FOR SURE...
I DID not buy a SS when greedy GM dealers were asking over sticker
.....and I never bought a SS
I DID buy a GT500 when greedy Ford dealers were asking over sticker
....and I never bought a GT500

When dealers ask over sticker, that turns me OFF the dealer for sure and the car too.

Dealers listen up: if you charge over sticker I'm NOT buying
and I'll continue to keep and SERVICE my Caddy CTS-V at non-GM service shops.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #25
camarosss

Drives: Berger80,02CPE,67SSRS, 12 ZL1 #1342
Thanks guys but in all reality if I or anyone for that matter pays 5 or 10k over we all know that money is shot and then some the second I drive it off the lot. Yes it's a hot car right now but loosing that kind of money financially just doesn't make since no matter how much money one has or not. There are dealers out there that will sell one for sticker, I just have to find one. If anyone knows of one please PM me I will travel.

1967 RS/SS 468 18s/20s
2002 Berger #80
2002 SS A4 RED/BLK 19s
2002 Tahoe Z71 BLK 23s For Sale
2009 Tahoe LTZ BLK 26s
2012 ZL1 #1342
2014 Z/28 #225
camarosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #26
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
God, not this #*!( again.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #27
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Well, this site is a wealth of knowledge! You have a lot of people here to help you out. Check out the thread where people might have an allocation but are pulling out due to the cost of the car.

You could also try and see of one of the site supported dealerships could help you out. I'm sure Becky or Anne would love to earn your business if they can get a car.

Think out side the box brother! Don't lose hope that you won't find one for MSRP.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #28
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
You know it's really not the money part that pisses me off but the principle of it all. They may as well just hold a gun to my head. I know GM probably doesn't give a damn because they know the cars will sell but this is the kinda stuff that gives them a bad name, and believe me I am hardcore GM. But don't think for a second I will never buy GM again if something isn't done about this. I feel a case coming on!

Who is holding a gun to your head? You just don't make any sense. No one is forcing you to pay the price. If you don't want to pay above MSRP, then don't. I don't understand why that is so hard to comprehend.

Early adopters almost always have to pay a premium. It's life.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote