Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
No-Lift Shift Feature?

Hey M6 drivers...I'm an L99 driver, but I thought you might find this interesting...

I came across this tidbit in a Car and Driver review of the 2008 Chevy HHR SS (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review):

The second bit of surprising high-performance programming in the HHR SS is the no-lift shift feature, which allows the driver to keep the throttle pinned during shifts and holds the engine just below redline, therefore keeping boost up and eliminating turbo lag. With the throttle on the floor, the unrelenting turbo whoosh from beneath the HHR's shapely hood is accompanied by a pleasingly violent pop from the exhaust pipe during shifts.

So, if the HHR SS has this feature built-in to protect the engine from going over red line, wouldn't GM have put it into the M6 Camaros, too? I wonder if anyone out there has the scoop on this, one way or the other. All of my LS3 buds keep talking about doing the no-lift shift at the track, but most won't try it because of the potential engine damage that might ensue...

Last edited by PnCRedJwl2SS; 07-15-2010 at 08:15 PM.
PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
The HHR and Cobalt SS are so RAD!

Well the LS3 has a rev limiter so I guess technically you could do this. I'm not going to try it on my Camaro though.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
DjD
Classic Owner

Drives: 1969 Ragtop
I think you'll find hitting the rev limiter actually shuts down the engine momentarily if it's anything like the 4th gen limiter... It may not actually shut down but if you start bouncing off the rev limiter it will feel like it.

The no-lift shift I believe just stops the engine from increasing rpm so you can make the speed shift. Basically the computer takes over the throttle when your right foot is on the floor and you start pushing in the clutch.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
i have done the no-lift shift three times from 2-3rd without a problem... haven't hit the rev limiter yet but im sure the short throw shifter helps. just gotta be quick..
Old 07-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
DjD
Classic Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3SSRS View Post
i have done the no-lift shift three times from 2-3rd without a problem... haven't hit the rev limiter yet but im sure the short throw shifter helps. just gotta be quick..

It really depends on how close to the limiter you are when you shift and how fast your right hand is...
Old 07-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
It really depends on how close to the limiter you are when you shift and how fast your right hand is...
exactly
Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The purpose of no-lift-shift is to keep the turbo spooled. Both the HHR and Cobalt SS are turbocharged.

Everytime you let off the gas, the throttle plate closes, and forces the pressure to be blown off and the turbo to slow down. Drastically reducing power for the period of time you shift. (Automatics don't have this issue so much)

So...it'd be pretty useless in a N/A car like the M6 SS Camaro. It doesn't speed up your shift times, it just keeps the throttle open, but under control.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
DjD
Classic Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The purpose of no-lift-shift is to keep the turbo spooled. Both the HHR and Cobalt SS are turbocharged.

Everytime you let off the gas, the throttle plate closes, and forces the pressure to be blown off and the turbo to slow down. Drastically reducing power for the period of time you shift. (Automatics don't have this issue so much)

So...it'd be pretty useless in a N/A car like the M6 SS Camaro. It doesn't speed up your shift times, it just keeps the throttle open, but under control.
Completely understand the reason for in in the turbo cars but also think it might be usable on a non-boosted car. If you have ever hit the rev-limiter when speed shifting you might agree. If you can leave your right foot on the floor and the computer holds the rpm for you at or near redline when you push in the clutch instead of the rev-limiter cutting power it would make a big difference and might get you that win you wouldn't get bouncing off the limiter.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
I'm going to be the asshole and say... jusy learn to shift without hitting the rev limited.
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
DjD
Classic Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
I'm going to be the asshole and say... jusy learn to shift without hitting the rev limited.
Good advice but even the best miss a shift from time to time, nobodys perfect and that is why so many racing competitively use automatic's...

As for your self assessment never met you before!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
cmiller8006

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS/TC
it will improve shift times in all cars. You don't have to let out the gas and then clutch it and get back in the gas. The N2MB Wotbox does the same thing and you can put it in any car. Also comes with an adjustable 2-step so you are at full throttle the whole pass. It works by cutting ignition so the rpm's stay the same. Also saves the tranny big time, I put the wotbox in my car to replace the factory NLS.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
Agreed. Using the No-lift shift as a crutch isn't what it was designed for, imo.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
12.35 @ 113 6 th on the fast list is a no lift pass.Just pull or push real fast and it's all good.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #14
DjD
Classic Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Agreed. Using the No-lift shift as a crutch isn't what it was designed for, imo.
Why call it a crutch? Nobody is perfect...

If we only used things as they were designed it would stiffle creativity. Hotrodding would have never gotten started, you would not see LS engines in 1st gen Camaros etc, both the LT and LS engines were designed for the Corvette and got transplanted into the Camaro. I have a friend that used an aluminum cake pan as an air-cleaner base and it was featured in PHR magazine.