Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #29
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
I haven't heard this before.... how does it 'see' that it is on a racetrack exactly?
It's GPS navigation like relays the coordinates of the race track and if it matches, then it can perform better or something along those lines.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #30
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
This system would allow hackers to take control over the system and use it to crash many vehicles at one time. It's a stupid, easily manipulated technology IMO.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #31
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
It's GPS navigation like relays the coordinates of the race track and if it matches, then it can perform better or something along those lines.
hm, interesting.
Quote:
This system would allow hackers to take control over the system and use it to crash many vehicles at one time. It's a stupid, easily manipulated technology IMO.
yeah, i could see that happening (cough cough, CHINA, cough, cough). Would definitely need some huge network security upgrades here (though anything that touches the internet is extremely vulnerable). If they REALLY wanted to make it secure (well, more so anyway), they could put it on it's own physical network and not let it connect to the internet (much the way some defense networks work).
Old 01-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post

I believe you hit the American nail on the American head... a BUTTON! This should never happen in America, unless it is some kind of option that can be switched off by the driver... for automobiles anyways.

NOTE: As for Penn and Teller's Bullsh*t... those guys are right on! They are like the Mythbusters, but they bust scams and with good humor.

<<<WARNING: Now entering fairy tale land>>>
Now, if the flying car (for retail) is ever perfected and mass produced, I could see something like this being part of the patent, more for saftey reasons than emmissions.
There was talk some time ago about a trans-continental, underground highway. Much like the railroad they built so long ago. It would be an automated system...you would pull down in into the tunnel, and the car takes over, driving you at super-highway speeds (100-ish) to your destination.

There would either be some sort of artificial draft to increase the efficiency of vehicles at those speeds, or an electro-magnet system to propel cars shifted into neutral like a railgun.

The technology and funding for such a project is 50 years out...EASY. But the future is fun to think about.

Quote:
As is anything computer based. Unfortunately, there is only one entity with the processing power to properly safeguard such a system...and since this would technically be "infrastructure"...I'll let you guess who it is.

I'd be far more worried about delayed topography/navigation updates than hackers.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #33
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
There was talk some time ago about a trans-continental, underground highway. Much like the railroad they built so long ago. It would be an automated system...you would pull down in into the tunnel, and the car takes over, driving you at super-highway speeds (100-ish) to your destination.
There would either be some sort of artificial draft to increase the efficiency of vehicles at those speeds, or an electro-magnet system to propel cars shifted into neutral like a railgun.

The technology and funding for such a project is 50 years out...EASY. But the future is fun to think about.

As is anything computer based. Unfortunately, there is only one entity with the processing power to properly safeguard such a system...and since this would technically be "infrastructure"...I'll let you guess who it is.

I'd be far more worried about delayed topography/navigation updates than hackers.
Last time I went to Alaska we went to a park to look at some glaciers. To get there, you drive your car onto a train which takes you to the park where you then can unload and drive around. Wouldn't that be easier to implement as an infrastructure between some key locations? I like the concept though.

I could actually get behind that kind of mass transit because I wouldn't be stranded for 8 hours.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #34
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

I think we actually have all the technology to accomplish that now. The electro-magnet systems used in railguns is that next step... we just haven't applied it in all the areas that it can be useful. The issue is the funding and the current state of the global economy.

I like reading about the elevator to space! Now that will be the day!!

http://www.space.com/businesstechnol..._020327-1.html
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/sp...eelevator.html

Carbon nanotubes are the next technology we will master!