Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #113
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBaxter View Post
Not to me, as I enjoy having full control of my car. It's a performance car, not a Camry. Automatics are soulless.

I guess I just place too much importance on driving enjoyment.
It depends on what type of performance your talking about. As far as drag racing, automatics have been proven time and time again that they rule the strip. On a road course, I would agree with you. As far as day to day driving like most people will use this car for and automatic rules again. I guess I'm starting to show my age. I've owned a ton of manuals and I used to agree with you ,but I'm tired of jamming gears and sitting in traffic with a manual when automatic are as good if not better than manuals any more.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #114
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I guess I just place too much importance on driving enjoyment.
Not at all! You just like the intimacy of shifting versus the sequential shiftshiftshift of the auto as you accelerate!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #115
BBaxter

Drives: Camaro
I just do not agree with the repeated statements that "automatics are better". Not for enthusiasts in my opinion. Why would you buy a ZL1 to daily drive in traffic? You are sacrificing fuel economy, harshness, visibility, etc compared to a typical "Camry type" daily driver, yet you would still complain about having to shift your own gears? I'm obviously not capable of understanding such mentality.
BBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #116
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I just do not agree with the repeated statements that "automatics are better". Not for enthusiasts in my opinion. Why would you buy a ZL1 to daily drive in traffic? You are sacrificing fuel economy, harshness, visibility, etc compared to a typical "Camry type" daily driver, yet you would still complain about having to shift your own gears? I'm obviously not capable of understanding such mentality.
I guess not.

But then...neither am I. Everything is a trade-off, imo...if I want the pleasure of shifting my own gears (which I do)...then I'm not going to get upset when I get stuck in slow traffic with it a few times.

But...on another unrelated note...the sheer torque in this monster should suffice to just use the clutch in 2nd gear on bumper-to-bumper highways...
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #117
BBaxter

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I guess not.

But then...neither am I. Everything is a trade-off, imo...if I want the pleasure of shifting my own gears (which I do)...then I'm not going to get upset when I get stuck in slow traffic with it a few times.

But...on another unrelated note...the sheer torque in this monster should suffice to just use the clutch in 2nd gear on bumper-to-bumper highways...
True!
BBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #118
coolman

Quote:
Quote:
I guess not.

But then...neither am I. Everything is a trade-off, imo...if I want the pleasure of shifting my own gears (which I do)...then I'm not going to get upset when I get stuck in slow traffic with it.

Like I said, I'm no spring chicken any more and I've driven and raced more manual than you can shake a stick at. I was made a believer a long time ago when automatics started taking over at the strip. I hung on for a long time with my manual ,but I too soon learned that the automatic was the way to go. I understand what you are both saying ,but I no longer agree. I owned a 2010 GT500 and it was fun for about the first couple of weeks and then I wished I had an automatic. If they didn't offer an automatic I would still be buying one ,but the fact that they are is just an added bonus for me.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #119
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Like I said, I'm no spring chicken any more and I've driven and raced more manual than you can shake a stick at. I was made a believer a long time ago when automatics started taking over at the strip. I hung on for a long time with my manual ,but I too soon learned that the automatic was the way to go. I understand what you are both saying ,but I no longer agree. I owned a 2010 GT500 and it was fun for about the first couple of weeks and then I wished I had an automatic. If they didn't offer an automatic I would still be buying one ,but the fact that they are is just an added bonus for me.
Time for me to switch sides.

On the other hand, I agree with you too! If you don't find a thrill in it, or else the disadvantages to manual (which there are) outweigh the benefits, it makes no sense to get one. And there are no "apologies" necessary.

Chevy's offering the choice to people because they get this, and have the means to provide. All I can say is that Ford doesn't, x2.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #120
coolman

Quote:
Time for me to switch sides.

On the other hand, I agree with you too! If you don't find a thrill in it, or else the disadvantages to manual (which there are) outweigh the benefits, it makes no sense to get one. And there are no "apologies" necessary.

Chevy's offering the choice to people because they get this, and have the means to provide. All I can say is that Ford doesn't, x2.
agreed. At least GM is smart enough to give us the choice. I bet a lot more GT500s could have been sold if Ford would have done the same. Then again maybe they didn't want to sell too many.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #121
fisherssmoke

Drives: Black SS
1st off, I love the manual. Maybe a little annoying in traffic while drinking coffee on a saturday morn. But, the fun of winding it up to 6 grand at 8psi once the coffee is kicked in is priceless.
The introduction of the ZL1 couldn't of come at a worse time for me. I just sunk a buttload of cash in my SS and this thing is out there dangling like a carrot in front of a donkey. I may have to just get a ZL1 hood, be happy with the Maggie and work on the suspension. ZL1 Rocks
Old 09-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #122
Sirwestofash

Drives: afeafeafeafaefae
I have to go change my pants, i'll brb.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:06 AM   #123
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Oh my! Cant wait to see tested performance numbers. Its one thing to hit sub 12 sec 1320ft off the showroom (my prediction is 11.9) its another to run the ring at 7:4x (my prediction is 7:47) all for under $53k (my prediction is $52k). Lets hope my predictions are correct
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:28 AM   #124
OIFVeteran2010Camaro2SS

Drives: Victory Red 2010 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
nice sick sound!
OIFVeteran2010Camaro2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #125
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Just got a chance to watch and listen. Simply awesome. I can't wait for the comparos.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #126
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Meh...

I'm getting a GT500...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote