Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Arrow 2009 Year in Review : Camaro rebirth and ascension

As featured on Homepage BLOG

Name:  reveal.jpg
Views: 3097
Size:  60.3 KB

Its been another crazy year in Camaroland with plenty of highs and lows. From GM's bailouts and bankruptcy to delivery of cars and meet and greets across both the United States and Canada. The Camaro5 membership has nearly quadrupled in size and are by far the largest 5th Gen Camaro community in the world.

Last January (2009) the pre-ordering process was in full swing and we were eagerly anticipating the start of regular production for the Camaro (and learned it would be delayed one more month). Over 10,000 had already been ordered and Camaro #0001 was bought by Rick Hendrick at Barret-Jackson. There were a trickle of spy shots, such as the first white car and a few convertibles. February brought the Daytona and Indy 500 pace cars. And March, well that was a huge milestone for the 5th Gen Camaro. On the 16th, the first production car rolled off the line (an event which was attended by a lucky few of our members). That very same day GM revealed the final performance specs of the car, including improved acceleration and fuel economy figures, and Nurburgring time. Later that week we got the first set of magazine reviews of the SS followed by some comparison reviews against the Mustang and Challenger. March was a good month.

April was full of anticipation. Some soon-to-be owners knew their car was built and didn't have it. In some cases this continued for a very long time. The very first member car was delivered on the 17th, one month after production started. April also included some very interesting pictures, the first shots of a cyber gray car and also the beginning of the mysterious weights on the brake calipers. May brought on the beginnings of the aftermarket, some track times, more owners, and the first instance of theft (Number3's wheels). In June most Camaro news seemed to take a back seat to GM's bankruptcy. However, amidst all that we did receive a few tidbits about the Z28, we learned of some monstrous Camaros getting built by tuners, and even though the Camaro outsold the Mustang for the first time in many many years, backlog had grown to 25,000 orders.

July brought forth little news, the Transformers edition was announced, and SS 6M owners were warned about possible output shaft problems. August had the introduction of the Body in White, the pizza giveaway by Camaro enthusiast "Papa" John Schnatter, and the first 2010 Camaro to run the 1/4 mile in under 11s, a cure for under-performing L99's, and the announcement of backup sensors becoming available. September saw a man as old as GM itself get a brand new Camaro and a couple more hints about the Z28 (from Al Oppenheiser, Chief Vehicle Engineer of the Camaro no less)

In October there were a couple major announcements. The first was Aqua Blue Metallic would be discontinued. The second was the first annual Camaro5 Fest (coming this April). Also in October was the first annual Buyers and Builders meet at the home of the Camaro in Oshawa. November was dominated by SEMA news, since the show was dominated by Camaros. There was also some important convertible info, including the first shots of production version testing in America and the announcement that it would be going into production in the 1st quarter (between Jan and Mar) of 2011. And in December we learned that the Camaro will once again pace the Indy 500 and that for 6 straight months the Camaro has outsold the Mustang and Challenger combined.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
MadMav

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6
Nice review sir.

Mav
Old 01-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMav View Post
Nice review sir.

Mav
DITTO- Thanks G.M. Love my Summit white SS delivered to me 8/21.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Thanks for that great review, it brought back a lot of memories since I officially joined the forum in January.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Thanks DGthe3. Interesting recap. Lot's that went on that I had forgotten about. You'll have to do the same next year and the year after and the year after. You can be the official C5 historian!! Thanks for the post.
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Well done, DG!!
Old 01-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
gold5000000

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljustin293 View Post
gold5000000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
Camarodriver

Drives: 1975 Camaro, 2010 2LT, 2011/2SSrs
Send a message via ICQ to Camarodriver Send a message via MSN to Camarodriver Send a message via Skype™ to Camarodriver
Great review, great site and forum! The best Camaro blog on the web, also the best homepage for anything Camaro 5th gen. Happy I sold my 75 for my 2010, love driving her every day. The site was useful for me prior and post 5th Gen Camaro, I will check daily for a long time to come!

eB

The perma-grin effect pictured above by a good buddy giving me a ride in my Camaro!
Used 75 Camaro = $3500
Rolling restoration over 10 years = $5000
$5 of gas burned in 10 seconds = Priceless!
Camarodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
And the continued delay for the accessory parts, and discontinuance of some of them before they even came out. 4 pack gauges are coming soon though

I remember each and every event. Damn I'm old.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It's been quite a ride for quite a ride. Who knows what 2010 will bring. One thing for sure is more happy Camaro owners!

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Nice recap.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
Thanks DGthe3. Interesting recap. Lot's that went on that I had forgotten about. You'll have to do the same next year and the year after and the year after. You can be the official C5 historian!! Thanks for the post.
This is the 2nd time I've done it (recap of 2008 here). I'll try to keep the tradition up.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
This is the 2nd time I've done it (recap of 2008 here). I'll try to keep the tradition up.
Love it!