Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: If the "HP edition" Camaro was called Z28:
Yes, I would still be interested in purchasing the car. 537 78.17%
No, I wouldn't buy it because that's not what I think it should be called. 150 21.83%
Voters: 687. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #211
bowtiedriver

Drives: 2009 WhiteHot G8 Gt
would be interesting if the existing SS underwent some changes, and became the Z28, and the new "HP Camaro" became the new SS. That would confuse some people.
bowtiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #212
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
I'm curious to see why GM is betting so much on this new name. It doesn't make sense to call it anything other than the Z28, unless they have a planned Z28 reserved for a Boss fighter.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #213
SSTAT

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 1997SS NASA Road Racer
I was one of those sorely disappointed when I heard the new z28 would be supercharged. I race a 4th gen SS in NASA road racing competition. Everyone knows that supercharging is a drag racing thing, and a no no for all but the most exotic road racing vehicles. But I agree with many above, the Z28 name has been dirtied in the past. And further, the 4th gen SS was designed in 1996 by SLP for ROAD RACING. It was never meant to be a drag strip car, and was modeled after SLPs own road racing efforts with the 4th gen in the SCCA. So as much as I want the SSX to be the next Z28, and I do (and I would buy one over the current car we are talking about if I could have it in the same time frame) I dont think it would be bastardizing the Z28 name if it landed on this car. Now, as to the name of this car. Honestly, ford has the GT, the Boss, and the GT500. All awesome cars, lets give them credit, and the GT 500 in some iteration has been out for years now. Bottom line, road racer or not, supercharged or not, GM owes us a Z28, period. And as silly as it sounds to some of you, I have plenty of money for this car, I am first in line for this car at my hometown dealership, and if this car is called an 'HP Edition" I will NOT buy this car. I would consider it a direct insult to me as a loyal and rediculously patient GM customer. I wouldnt mind ZL1 or perhaps some other well thought out and historically relevant new 'Z' moniker if they want to hold the Z28 name for the SSX because I think that would be more appropriate... but if so, the new Z moniker better be good, really good.
SSTAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #214
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
I'm curious to see why GM is betting so much on this new name. It doesn't make sense to call it anything other than the Z28, unless they have a planned Z28 reserved for a Boss fighter.
To be fair...we don't know if they aren't going to call it Z28 after all...the "HP Edition" references we were told about could have been a ploy...

Or...if they haven't named it yet...maybe they just want to make absolutely sure that they do right by the enthusiasts. Consider all options?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #215
76CamaroLT

Drives: 4wheels
I’m just trying to understand the reasoning. Sounds like it's an emotional thing with the nostalgia of the name. That’s cool.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the Z/28 has been true to its heritage in a very long time, but it may not have been possible (for many reasons) for GM to use the name for anything other then to evoke nostalgia to sell what could just as well just been called an SS.

The more details that come out about the “HP Edition” the less I think it should (or will) be called the Z/28.

As has been mentioned before, IMO the Z28 should be GM’s answer to Ford’s BOSS 302 (this is really a brilliant pkg). That would be true to the heritage of the Z/28 name and a damn sweet LE that could also be priced similar to the BOSS.
76CamaroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #216
sooner25

Drives: 1985 Iroc Z, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76CamaroLT View Post
I’m just trying to understand the reasoning. Sounds like it's an emotional thing with the nostalgia of the name. That’s cool.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the Z/28 has been true to its heritage in a very long time, but it may not have been possible (for many reasons) for GM to use the name for anything other then to evoke nostalgia to sell what could just as well just been called an SS.

The more details that come out about the “HP Edition” the less I think it should (or will) be called the Z/28.

As has been mentioned before, IMO the Z28 should be GM’s answer to Ford’s BOSS 302 (this is really a brilliant pkg). That would be true to the heritage of the Z/28 name and a damn sweet LE that could also be priced similar to the BOSS.
I agree that it hasn't, and almost hope that they don't call the "HP Edition" a Z28. I also agree that it would be cool to answer the Boss with a Z28. I guess I'm holding out with the hope that eventually the most powerful Camaro will be the Z28, and if they don't call this one a Z28, then they have plans to build an even bigger Camaro.
sooner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #217
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner25 View Post
and if they don't call this one a Z28, then they have plans to build an even bigger Camaro.
I think you are spot on with this comment.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #218
35thanniversaryphil

Drives: 35th Anniversary Camaro coupe 6spd
The Z/28 should be Chevy's answer to the BOSS 302...

The biggest baddest Camaro should be in my opinion called the ZL1(It would sound very nice together with the top of the line Corvette ZR1)

So what if SLP has a car called the ZL1. GMMG produced the ZL1s in 2002 and GM's COPO did it in 1969.

Many aftermarket companies modify and sell there own version of a car. If GM would call it the ZL1, SLP would most probably take it and make an even more potent aftermarket version of it.

Everyone wins! We get a Mustang BOSS 302 fighter and a GT500 slayer at the same time.
35thanniversaryphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #219
Blown355

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner25
and if they don't call this one a Z28, then they have plans to build an even bigger Camaro.

I guess the real question is, does GM really think people will purchase a $70,000 Camaro???
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #220
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown355 View Post
I guess the real question is, does GM really think people will purchase a $70,000 Camaro???

No, mainly because GM won't make a $70,000 Camaro.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #221
Masta T
coco puff power yo!

Drives: 2005 350z tt, 2010 bmw 328i
when i think of the z28 name i think of the corvette z06. light, more powerful (non supercharged) engine , better suspension, and a bada** look. but when i look at this car i see a more zr1 inspired look to it. GM did have two Hp test mules out testing *the red and blue one* maybe one had the lsa and the other had a new non charged engine in it.

dub or scrub
Masta T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #222
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
A rose by any other name is still a rose! I don't care if they call it the Camaro POS, if it has 556 HP +, I'm happy!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 AM   #223
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
To be fair...we don't know if they aren't going to call it Z28 after all...the "HP Edition" references we were told about could have been a ploy...

Or...if they haven't named it yet...maybe they just want to make absolutely sure that they do right by the enthusiasts. Consider all options?
Bold - If I wasn't clear enough before, this was sort of my point lol. Throwing away a name that undoubtedly has heritage (which is obviously a big attraction for this market) would be a huge financial mistake. I can see them calling this presumably LSA equipped trim the "HP Edition" only if they have some other plans for the Z28 name.

They, nor Ford, nor Dodge, did not drop their respective monikers, such as SS, GT, R/T, respectively, for some shot-in-the-dark marketing. There is no reason for them to attempt this that I'm aware of; there hasn't been a watering down of the Z28 which demands they steer away from using it.

Also, I did not see someone ask this question, but did yall ever figure out what the "HP" stands for?
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #224
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
I feel like a lot of people are missing the point behind NOT calling is Z28, just because this car wouldnt be called Z28 doesnt mean there wont be a Z28 model at all, we're not officially limited to 3 trims here. What me and a lot of other people are saying is that this specific car isnt what a Z28 is supposed to be, it doesnt fill any of the criteria of what a Z28 is except that its the highest performance option (yes, Z28 is the highest performance option, the only reason there is doubt is because SLP needed something to call their upgraded 4th gen Z28s and just ended up calling it SS, other than that small fluke Z28 and/or Z/28 has always been the higher performance model). But just making this the highest performance model shouldnt make it a Z, here's my qualifications:

1. Any Z28 should be the highest performance model except for minor acceptions, ZL1 being one of them or packages to enhance the Z28 such as 1LE

2. The Z28 should, as it historicly did, rival the Boss 302 Mustang if at all possible, the reasoning behind which being that the Boss is a race-inspired vehicle like the Z is while the GT500 is a street inspired vehicle, although VERY potent, its still just street inspired

3. The Z should be a car tuned to a high performance level, tuned, not just supercharged, im talking cam an LS3, change the exhaust, mod the heads, strip the car bare to the essentials for weight savings and let it loose...an LSA with heated seats and nav just doesnt fill those shoes at all

4. The Z should be AFFORDABLE. If you're going to have a historical name out there like that that the public would devour, let them devour it, dont make it a premium item

...all that being said, quite honestly, if this car WAS named Z28 i would enjoy it still, but i would purchase a Boss 302 before this car...because odds are the Boss will be comparable in performance with a lot more attitude for way less money.
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote