Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #127
RichJ.
Shop Owner

Drives: 1 ton silverado
Thank You Pete Great write up.
RichJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #128
SSinthedesert

Drives: 2010 Imperial Blue SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bee View Post
I'm really confused why everyone would think that Chevy would create a version of the Camaro that would directly compete with the Corvette.
In my opinion this is because Ford has no equivalent to the Corvette, that is the reason they offer the GT500, and because it got so much hype from the movie gone in 60 seconds. "IF" there is a Z/28 I think it's gonna be a turbocharged version of the V6. This only makes sense because it will add another Camaro to the lineup and not compete with the Corvette.

Exactly! Vette's always have been and always will be Chevy's flagship. Why would they build a car that can affect its sales? I'm not saying they won't make a "Z" but I'm not so sure it will rival the power of the vette's. If they do, expect a price tag around atleast 50K if not more. But that is the begining price range of the vette and could pull some of the potential vette buyers away and Chevy does not want that!
SSinthedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #129
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinthedesert View Post
Exactly! Vette's always have been and always will be Chevy's flagship. Why would they build a car that can affect its sales? I'm not saying they won't make a "Z" but I'm not so sure it will rival the power of the vette's. If they do, expect a price tag around atleast 50K if not more. But that is the begining price range of the vette and could pull some of the potential vette buyers away and Chevy does not want that!
Please read the numerous other threads that your thoughts on this topic have been discussed in, including quotes from official Chevy sources that the HP of the Vette is not a barrier to other vehicles HP. HP is only part of the story, a Z/28 Camaro would have to have an impossible to reach (for the current Camaro) lighter weight to go along with that HP. Any Vette and Camaro matchup in HP will always have the Vette winning in the performance aspect due to it's far lighter weight. Again, this has been discussed many times in numerous threads.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #130
SSinthedesert

Drives: 2010 Imperial Blue SS
I think you missed the point. I'm merely stating that GM prolly wouldn't make a NA 500+ HP Camaro for a few reasons. One being cost of production will drive up the MSRP (closing in on Vette prices) The bottom line is cost for any vehicle coming off the assembly line, especially after all that GM has gone through lately. Forgive me for not having read every thread on here.
SSinthedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #131
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Beating a whatever Mustang is not all about the engine. The Camaro has a fabulous ZETA chassis. We should be building the Z28 around the suspension, brakes and modest HP gains leveraging the strengths of the vehicle. If GM can take out a couple of hundred pounds with carbon or aluminum...

Some of us have been talking about this on a regular basis.... I like the way you think Pete!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #132
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
SS-V....no.

V is a Cadillac nameplate. This car needs to be named with it's old school roots in mind.
Z28 or ZL1 are the obvious choices.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #133
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphWS6 View Post
SS-V....no.

V is a Cadillac nameplate. This car needs to be named with it's old school roots in mind.
Im pretty sure it was a joke....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #134
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphWS6 View Post
SS-V....no.

I have CTS-V brakes on my Camaro and posted a how too on the forum. So it is both a suggested name for my Camaro and a bit of a joke.

SS-V
V28

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=cts-v
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #135
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I have CTS-V brakes on my Camaro and posted a how too on the forum. So it is both a suggested name for my Camaro and a bit of a joke.

SS-V
V28

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=cts-v
Just call it a Camaro Z-V. Whoo!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 AM   #136
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinthedesert View Post
I think you missed the point. I'm merely stating that GM prolly wouldn't make a NA 500+ HP Camaro for a few reasons. One being cost of production will drive up the MSRP (closing in on Vette prices) The bottom line is cost for any vehicle coming off the assembly line, especially after all that GM has gone through lately. Forgive me for not having read every thread on here.
It's not about anyone having to forgive you for not reading every thread on the site, I was stating that the particular issue of the Camaro having as high or higher HP than the Vette has plenty of info here that you might want to see. You certainly have the right to your opinion as I do to mine, I think we just see some of the solutions differently and that's OK.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #137
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
I think i may have to make a new Z28 IS BEST OVER ALL end of story thread.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #138
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
It's not about anyone having to forgive you for not reading every thread on the site, I was stating that the particular issue of the Camaro having as high or higher HP than the Vette has plenty of info here that you might want to see. You certainly have the right to your opinion as I do to mine, I think we just see some of the solutions differently and that's OK.
Clyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28RockStar View Post
I think i may have to make a new Z28 IS BEST OVER ALL end of story thread.
I like your enthusiasm
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #139
Qdiesel

Drives: 2011 Infiniti M56S, '04 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by acowherd View Post
CTS-v is a great car. I had an 06 v and it was fun. The new cts-v stickers for what 70k??? A Z/28 with an lsa motor in it would be nice, but for the money it would cost???? If I was going to pay anything over 50k for a camaro... i would not do it. At that price point i would be a lot more inclined to get a corvette.

The sticker on my V was 67,029, but that was with suede seating inserts, recaro seats and so on. The z28 will not be a top flight luxury car like my V so it should be under 50k and if it isn't then so what? The gt500 is over 50k anyway and that's what they're after.
Qdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #140
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdiesel View Post
The sticker on my V was 67,029, but that was with suede seating inserts, recaro seats and so on. The z28 will not be a top flight luxury car like my V so it should be under 50k and if it isn't then so what? The gt500 is over 50k anyway and that's what they're after.
actually the GT500 is at 48k. so under 50k. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote