Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #43
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
All Hennessey has talked about is matching power levels. 1/3 of the ZL1's parts are reengineered. Including suspension, wheels, interior, body panels, axles, etc.

Hennessey claims their package is much cheaper at $49,500 when GM has not released pricing.

A good comparison will account for all the upgrades the ZL1 gets. So how much is a HPE550 with the following options:
HPE lightweight wheels
Coilover Suspension Kit
Carbon Aero Body Kit
Custom Leather Interior
Upgraded axles
Upgraded clutch

Still think Hennessey will be way cheaper on a full comparison? I don't

Also while 3/36 is a good warranty, GM will likely offer 100M mile powertrain warranty.

Gets harder and harder for a third party to compete.

Don't get me wrong, Hennessey does great work, but is at a big disadvantage.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #44
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
Why wouldn't you want a Hennessey - less money, looks better, and you'll give up 40 hp and 60 lb torque with the new ZL1.

Those of you that think the ZL1 will be $50,000 are living in make-believe land. Think about it. Add wider wheels, 1/2 shafts and drive shaft to handle the hp, brakes, shocks, carbon hood, better traction control, a SUPERCHARGER....how much is a standard SS??? Take that and add just a few of the upgrades... WAY OVER $50,000.

Love your car. Looks a little like mine. Have to disagree with your post. I ordered mine new 2011. I have wheels, tires, engine mods including cam, twin turbo, driveline upgrades including 1400 hp axles, etc. I have $48,000 in the car. Almost 700hp to the ground and close in torque. If we have to talk crank hp, thats about 850 or so. I love all the options out there. Just wanted to point out that there is value in doing your own thing.

I'm about 8 grand from the 1000 rwhp mark.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #45
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck1974 View Post
Love your car. Looks a little like mine. Have to disagree with your post. I ordered mine new 2011. I have wheels, tires, engine mods including cam, twin turbo, driveline upgrades including 1400 hp axles, etc. I have $48,000 in the car. Almost 700hp to the ground and close in torque. If we have to talk crank hp, thats about 850 or so. I love all the options out there. Just wanted to point out that there is value in doing your own thing.

I'm about 8 grand from the 1000 rwhp mark.
I have 14K in mine about to drop 5K more on suspension and gears and another 15K in a year or so on the bottom end, cam, valvetrain, fuel and a clutch. I'm only shooting for around 700 at the crank but it will be a solid build.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #46
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
I have 14K in mine about to drop 5K more on suspension and gears and another 15K in a year or so on the bottom end, cam, valvetrain, fuel and a clutch. I'm only shooting for around 700 at the crank but it will be a solid build.
Bottom end with cam=$5000
Clutch=$1000
Fuel=$1000
Besides the pac springs I have, there is no need to mess with the heads for me.

You will get there for way less than $15000 if you don't mind turning a wrench a bit.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #47
S-eatin-grin

Quote:
Bottom end with cam=$5000
Clutch=$1000
Fuel=$1000
Besides the pac springs I have, there is no need to mess with the heads for me.

You will get there for way less than $15000 if you don't mind turning a wrench a bit.
I wish I knew someone close enough that had the know how and the equipment...would save me a bundle to pull the motor, strip it down and put it back in thereonce the shortblock is done..be glad to turn the wrench but I couldn't do it myself. I did my headers, exhaust and heritage grille..but that's about it.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #48
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
With respect....you can't get the "whole package" for less $$.

If you're only concerned with power? Yes - but it's almost insulting to the brand to say that's all the ZL1's about.

Keep building though, by no means am I stepping on your awesome work!!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:11 PM   #49
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
With respect....you can't get the "whole package" for less $$.

If you're only concerned with power? Yes - but it's almost insulting to the brand to say that's all the ZL1's about.

Keep building though, by no means am I stepping on your awesome work!!
what if you can? at that point all your paying for is some expensive badges
Old 03-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #50
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
what if you can? at that point all your paying for is some expensive badges
You can't.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #51
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You can't.
With all due respect, define the package. Handling upgrades? That doesn't cost much. Power and performance it is blown completely away. Bling....some of us do not care about that (although the seats look nice).

I can't wait to eat alive the first guy that pulls up next to me feeling confident (they always do, and it is better when their girlfriend is sitting next to them).

That being said, I love the fact that Chevy is finally in the game with Ford, and I appreciate every car and owner that feels the same way. I can't wait to see one also!

Had fun trying to find a Ford GT the other day..........in my mirror
Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #52
nards444

Quote:
With all due respect, define the package. Handling upgrades? That doesn't cost much. Power and performance it is blown completely away. Bling....some of us do not care about that (although the seats look nice).

I can't wait to eat alive the first guy that pulls up next to me feeling confident (they always do, and it is better when their girlfriend is sitting next to them).

That being said, I love the fact that Chevy is finally in the game with Ford, and I appreciate every car and owner that feels the same way. I can't wait to see one also!

Had fun trying to find a Ford GT the other day..........in my mirror
Id have to agree with you and that you can. OK your not getting the warranty I got that that, as important as it is and to me, but I get that. I still beleive you can. Think about a supercharger its not costing GM 5 grand, suede seats doesnt cost gm 2 grand. You are getting a peice of history that is warranted and thats great. But you are paying for the name. People say well just slapping on a supercharger is stupid or not the same and maybe you are right. But to say you cant do it for less is untrue.

I have a 1SS which isnt the 2 but i can even have hennessey do my stuff and Id be 8-10 cheaper than a Zl1, and you arent going to tell me hennessey is any less than what chevy puts out minus a warranty maybe. I dont know me thinkgs there is a lot of money going to be paid for some badges

Last edited by nards444; 04-01-2011 at 08:12 AM.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #53
S-eatin-grin

You are definitely paying a price for a car to be a "Hennessey" beyond what the parts and labor cost...which is to be expected. What they do is certainly quality work...but their 550 hp package is no where near as complete as the engineering changes that have been added to the ZL1. I think that this is the main point that doesn't seem to be sinking in with this thread. Power is great...and you can probably get away with supercharging a 2010-2011 SS to 625 hp at the crank without blowing it up, and you can do it for less than the ZL1 will cost but I question whether such a car would outperform the ZL1 on any type of track. The ZL1 will have the compliment of lighter wheels, stronger axles and diff, better suspension components. I think it would be very difficult to mod any SS to match or beat all the improved engineering and performance features of the ZL1 for less $$ if the ZL1 ends up at around 50K. If it ends up being 65K then that's a different story!! Personally...I'm keeping my SS and going all the way with it...I'm too far gone and can't recoup with trying to sell it...and would still have to mod the ZL1 to be satisfied with it.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #54
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Good points above. It should also be known that there IS a hazard to simply strapping a supercharger onto a 2010 without any more to do:

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135792
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #55
nards444

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
You are definitely paying a price for a car to be a "Hennessey" beyond what the parts and labor cost...which is to be expected. What they do is certainly quality work...but their 550 hp package is no where near as complete as the engineering changes that have been added to the ZL1. I think that this is the main point that doesn't seem to be sinking in with this thread. Power is great...and you can probably get away with supercharging a 2010-2011 SS to 625 hp at the crank without blowing it up, and you can do it for less than the ZL1 will cost but I question whether such a car would outperform the ZL1 on any type of track. The ZL1 will have the compliment of lighter wheels, stronger axles and diff, better suspension components. I think it would be very difficult to mod any SS to match or beat all the improved engineering and performance features of the ZL1 for less $$ if the ZL1 ends up at around 50K. If it ends up being 65K then that's a different story!! Personally...I'm keeping my SS and going all the way with it...I'm too far gone and can't recoup with trying to sell it...and would still have to mod the ZL1 to be satisfied with it.
you have some good points im sure your probably paying another 10-20% just for the hennessey name but you probably are paying something for CAMARO or ZL1 too. And you dont know what the ZL1 will have either.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #56
Golden30

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hennessey prices

I requested a catalog from hennessey and they sent me this.
Attached Images

Golden30 is offline   Reply With Quote