Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-15-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
What Grinds My Gears!!!!

Rules
1. Each topic is to only be discussed for 3 days, unless I do not post another topic right away, then you can continue to discuss until I do
2. DO NOT KEEP DISCUSSING ANOTHER TOPIC AFTER I POST A NEW ONE!!
3. If you do keep making posts for a old topic I will have a mod intervene
4. If you can not understand or follow rules do not post here, you are not welcome to
5. Stay on topic

I figured this should be interesting. I wanna do something like this once or twice a week, pending how busy I become. There are things that annoy everyone, some more than others. So I will post a story, I will tell you what I think, and then post what you think.

MADISON, Wis. – The nation's largest group of atheists and agnostics filed a lawsuit Tuesday seeking to block an architect from engraving "In God We Trust" and the Pledge of Allegiance at the Capitol Visitor Center in Washington.

The Madison-based Freedom From Religion Foundation's lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in western Wisconsin, claims the taxpayer-funded engravings would be an unconstitutional endorsement of religion.

The House and Senate passed identical resolutions this month directing the Architect of the Capitol to engrave "In God We Trust" and the pledge in prominent places at the entrance for 3 million tourists who visit the Capitol each year.

The resolution came in response to critics who complained Congress spent $621 million on the new three-story underground center without paying respect to the nation's religious heritage. The center opened in December after years of construction.

The foundation is seeking a court order to stop the engravings, which the Congressional Budget Office estimates will cost less than $100,000.

"In God We Trust" has been the national motto since 1956 and has appeared on U.S. currency since 1957.

The lawsuit says both the motto and the words "under God" in the pledge were adopted during the Cold War as anti-communism measures. Engraving them at the entrance to the U.S. Capitol would discriminate against those who do not practice religion and unfairly promote a Judeo-Christian perspective, it says.

Members of Congress who supported the measure swiftly denounced the lawsuit.

"This lawsuit is another attempt by liberal activists to rewrite history and deny that America's Judeo-Christian heritage is an essential foundation stone of our great nation," said Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa.

Rep. Daniel Lungren, R-Calif., said he was expecting a lawsuit but called the claims "patently absurd."

The foundation also is challenging the constitutionality of the National Day of Prayer in federal court.

First some lady complains about prayer in school, so they take that away, then they complain about how we say the pledge of allegiance, so they altered that in a few states, and now this. Kinda sad. So what do you think

Last edited by DropTheGloves; 08-01-2009 at 03:20 PM.
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
To each their own.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
BlackXIV
FINALLY got my CHL!!!!!!

Drives: 03 Avalanche 09 R/T
God gave us the ability to choose. As Christians, it is our job to spread the gospel. Someone has told them about God and Jesus they just choose not to accept.

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
Matthew 7:13,14

Why must one loose their right to religion for someone else who doesn't believe? If reading "In GOD we trust" on money, and saying "under GOD" makes you feel like Christianity is being forced on you....that's not the case. It is the Holy Spirit convicting you, God working in you, God seeking you.
BlackXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
'Rewrite' history is EXACTLY what they want to do. I stumbled across this vid. Amen to this guy.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
As someone who has thoroughly studied government and likes to frequently play the devil's advocate here on Camaro5, I will make a point that I can only hope leads to intelligent discussion of this topic.

"In God We Trust" was added to US currency during an early part of the anti-communist period of US policy. That being said, the logic behind this addition to US currency has been interpreted to mean that the US was using religion to argue political supremacy to its known rival, the USSR. This is important because the Soviet Union was effectively anti-religious, much like the current Chinese regime, because religions functionally create organizations that can contest the state. In other words, the US did not always put this on US currency but started putting it there in order to make opponents of the US look bad.

I also have another argument, just to prove that I'm not supporting any side on the issue.

The idea of removing "In God We Trust" from currency may have nothing to do with religion. Since this was added during a period of history where the major US adversary was a nation that opposed religion, it would only make sense to remove this piece of history along with that enemy. Instead of thinking of it as anti-religious propaganda, think of it as a trophy. When the US has a great enemy, the US shows its faith by ambiguously printing this on its currency and not specifying which image of God it means. In times of prosperity, the US should feel no need to print this because some would argue that God has already rewarded faith with prosperity. It is a political way of saying that we, the many peoples and religions of the United States, stand by God and righteousness even though our enemies might not do so. Since the major enemy of this era is gone, so can be our political coins that proclaim all of this.

Finally, I have another argument, just to keep you all occupied.

Having "In God We Trust" on our coins is meaningless because God already knows that.

Now that I've made my provocative points, have fun. Discuss.

By the way, I don't necessarily agree with any of those arguments.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

You know what they say about Politics and Religion.

= :( = = = = = = = = =
Old 07-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
You know what they say about Politics and Religion.

= :( = = = = = = = = =
happy=sad=BS=madness=madder=beat down=scared=kick=ambulance=mod=no more thread..

I get it..

really I just think people need to get over themselves and stop taking offense to everything!
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljustin293 View Post
really I just think people need to get over themselves and stop taking offense to everything!
Oh!!...somebody else gets it....*sniffle*...I think I'm gonna cry!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Oh!!...somebody else gets it....*sniffle*...I think I'm gonna cry!
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
PQ
Booooosted.

That being said. I will weigh in a little on this.

The very first meeting of our founding fathers was began by a Judeo-Christian prayer. Where the men who attended all bowed their heads and asked the Lord to guide them and give them the strength and wisdom to proceed with the founding of a nation. The nation that became the United States of America.

Congress, Senate, and yes even the President, all began their meetings with prayer. And as you heard, with the probable, eventual end to us as a nation in front of us before the battle of Normandy, the President led our nation in PRAYER. We ARE a Christian nation. We have been from the beggining. As the good representative in the vid asked;

"When did we cease being a Christian nation"?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
I am deeply atheist. I am surrounded with the wonders of science, and I just dislike the hypocrisy of many religions, specifically the Church. I do not like to think of the United States as "a Christian nation". I do not believe we should be tied to any religion. We are founded on the ideas of freedom and liberty. That should apply to religions as well.

With that said, I really don't care if our money of a building says "In God We Trust".
Old 07-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
diddiyo

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtoups View Post
I am deeply atheist. I am surrounded with the wonders of science, and I just dislike the hypocrisy of many religions, specifically the Church.

oldie but goldie

diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #14
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
Hmm atheists why should they care?

what a bunch of sally's

In many different Religions God is not specified in the Pledge God could mean Allah or Buddha or the Christian God

you know what i mean?