Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
SKERIS

Drives: Jewel Red 2SS RS A6
How to check transmission fluid on A6

Has anyone found out how to check our tranny fluid levels in a A6?

Manual says only a dealer can do it!

Thanks
SKERIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
There isn't a tranny dipstick like in many cars. It can only be accessed from below as there is a drain and refill plug. I was watching as they changed my fluid and filter after break in. I had mine changed at the dealer for $149 and that was for synthetic fluid and a new filter.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Warm the car to operating temp (180-ish) and have gone thru the gears a couple of times, remove the plug in the trans pan and if you have fluid come out, the level is proper. This is not a drain plug as most think, it is there for fluid level checks, that's it. The fill hole is a small plug just above the trans pan about midway...
Old 04-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
How often should we change the Trans Fluid?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
hypurone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
How often should we change the Trans Fluid?
Well, according to GM it's "lifetime" (100k I think) fluid... it is a new high viscosity Dexron VI. No way I would run it for a "lifetime" or 100K. I normally change mine at 30K....
Old 04-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
SKERIS

Drives: Jewel Red 2SS RS A6
Thanks guys...the manual makes it seem very difficult and does not mention whay you guys did.

Gotta love this forum!!!
SKERIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Well, according to GM it's "lifetime" (100k I think) fluid... it is a new high viscosity Dexron VI. No way I would run it for a "lifetime" or 100K. I normally change mine at 30K....
Actuallly it is low viscosity. The Dex6 formulation has the lowest viscosity of any other type of fluid on the market. Dex6 has a 100,000 mile lifespan for normal use, 50,000 mile lifespan for severe use. Some cars actually call for a 150,000 mile lifespan. GM has done tons of research and testing on Dex6. Also, it is a Group III synthetic.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
hypurone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Actuallly it is low viscosity. The Dex6 formulation has the lowest viscosity of any other type of fluid on the market.
Perhaps I should have put it this way. While being a somewhat lower viscosity (6.00 vs 7.5 for say Dex III) It maintains a higher viscosity (remains 6.00 consistently) over its lifetime compared to previous fluids.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
silverfox

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I had mine to the dealer just because i didn't trust the performance shops to know about this trans. After a trans tune at a shop i wasn't convinced that the trans was full. So i took it in and they put it on the rack and proceded to do it by the book.(if you have the shop manuals it shows the procedure) So i pretty much knew how it was supposed to go. Run it till 135 degrees trans temp is seen and then shift thru the gears. At that time take out the drain plug and any excess fluid will run out. That is considered full after fluid stops running out the drain plug.
LS2 Darton sleeved 427 stroker.Callies dragonslayer crankshaft. Callies I beam rods. Wiseco blower pistons. Mast cnc 12 degree big bore ls3 heads-2.2 intake &1.6 ex. 6 bolt 270cc-.750 deck. Lunati link bar lifters.T&D roller rockers.COMP-VA. Speed special cam 605 lift, 238dur. Procharger F1R @15psi. ARH headers with custom 3'' exhaust all the way.Magnaflow mufflers. QTP cutouts.Rossler built 6l80e trans. DSS 1400hp axles.
Pfadt suspension.-Coilovers, sway bars,motor mounts,trailing arms. Aeromotive eliminater pump.
907rwhp.
silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
compuwiz1937

Drives: 2012 Corvette, 2007 STS
The fluid has to be between a proper temperature range (can't remember off hand) checked by the scan tool. Then the car is to be lifted level and the plug on the pan removed and the fluid needs to be right at the top of the bung for the plug. There is a special tool that is screwed into the bung and fluid is pumped in through that same hole is the fluid is low or needs to be refilled after a service. That is why the manual says it needs to be done by a dealer.
compuwiz1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuwiz1937 View Post
The fluid has to be between a proper temperature range (can't remember off hand) checked by the scan tool. Then the car is to be lifted level and the plug on the pan removed and the fluid needs to be right at the top of the bung for the plug. There is a special tool that is screwed into the bung and fluid is pumped in through that same hole is the fluid is low or needs to be refilled after a service. That is why the manual says it needs to be done by a dealer.
There is a fill hole on the passenger side of the tranny.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120571
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
compuwiz1937

Drives: 2012 Corvette, 2007 STS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
There is a fill hole on the passenger side of the tranny.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120571
Technically yes, but if you can get to it once the exhaust is hot to get the fluid up to proper temp you're a better man than I. Plus, that guy is already wrong in the fact that he said that plug is the drain plug. Camaro1 in that thread questions the way dude does it as well. What if the transmission was low or overfilled to begin with and you just refill it was "exactly" what came out? Plus, I've never been able to capture every single drop of fluid and I've done quite a few transmission services to all kinds of vehicles. I suppose you could overfill it with that plug on the side with the car cold and then get the fluid up to temp and use the level plug after, but then you risk frothing the fluid and/or the trans puking it out the vent tube. Up to you whether it is worth it to avoid the dealer for whatever reason you may have. A trans service is typically only around $150 (not including a flush). Never been worth it to me to lay on my back and get covered in fluid.
compuwiz1937 is offline   Reply With Quote