Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #127
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
Yea, and you better set aside another $25,000 for a new transmissions for the GT-R as well. They are garbage.
They don't only replace the transmission. The transmission is a part of the rear differential. Also the 2012 GT-R has protocols in place to only allow 3 launches, using launch control, before a cooldown is required. The problem was people were bagging their cars, despite what they will tell you. Nissan found evidence of abusive driving and that is why they voided drivetrain warranties. I don't agree with that but I'm going to believe that Chevrolet would do the something if they were in Nissans position and this was their Halo Car. Of course Chevy doesn't have any car that can go 0-60 in 2.9 or shift without loosing power.

Quote:
Both the Z06 and the ZR1 destroy the GTR from a rolling start.

Its not even a race, especially with the ZR1.

They Z06 and ZR1 are much more powerful cars with much broader powerbands, better top end, and hundreds of pounds less weight.

Being that the ZL1 will weigh about the same as the GTR and have more horsepower and a better powerband, it should walk the GTR from a rolling start as well.
If you think a ZL1 will weigh less than a Camaro SS you my good sir are high.

Every 10lb a car looses is like having 1 extra horsepower in that case since the Camaro ZL1 has a weight of 4200lb, until actual specs are released, and the GT-R weighs 3800lb the weight difference will make the GT-R perform like it has closer to 570 horsepower.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #128
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post

If you think a ZL1 will weigh less than a Camaro SS you my good sir are high.

Every 10lb a car looses is like having 1 extra horsepower in that case since the Camaro ZL1 has a weight of 4200lb, until actual specs are released, and the GT-R weighs 3800lb the weight difference will make the GT-R perform like it has closer to 570 horsepower.
Lol what?

The ZL1 wont be over 4000lb, it wont get all the luxury items that a Caddy has which is why it will weigh less.

So it will weigh within 200 lbs of the GTR with enough power to about even that up. The GTR is AWD so the faster in speed it goes the more pronounced the drive train loss is. The ZL1 will be putting more power down as it moves faster so a rolling start = win.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #129
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Lol what?

The ZL1 wont be over 4000lb, it wont get all the luxury items that a Caddy has which is why it will weigh less.

So it will weigh within 200 lbs of the GTR with enough power to about even that up. The GTR is AWD so the faster in speed it goes the more pronounced the drive train loss is. The ZL1 will be putting more power down as it moves faster so a rolling start = win.
Rolling start also = cheating

Not if it's a highway race but we wouldn't be talking about that now would we…

American Testers 0-60 times are always faster then the truth. Euro and Japanese testers test from a stand still.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #130
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
I wonder why the Z06 and Boss 302 were featured in this instead of the ZR1 and GT500? It seems like for such a production they would at least get the top accelerating version of each model.
I agree completely! it always annoys me when they use a corvette in a test like this, cause they always use the z06 instead of the zr1. z06 is a sick car, but zr1 is king of the hill. grr to them.
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #131
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercamaro64 View Post
I agree completely! it always annoys me when they use a corvette in a test like this, cause they always use the z06 instead of the zr1. z06 is a sick car, but zr1 is king of the hill. grr to them.
The GT-R was also built to take on the Z06 but ended up taking on the ZR1.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #132
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
I understand your point but Porsche sells more than 2500 Panameras a year.
...just a comment, nothing for nothing, I was next to one yesterday. That's a huge Porsche.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #133
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
They don't only replace the transmission. The transmission is a part of the rear differential. Also the 2012 GT-R has protocols in place to only allow 3 launches, using launch control, before a cooldown is required. The problem was people were bagging their cars, despite what they will tell you. Nissan found evidence of abusive driving and that is why they voided drivetrain warranties. I don't agree with that but I'm going to believe that Chevrolet would do the something if they were in Nissans position and this was their Halo Car. Of course Chevy doesn't have any car that can go 0-60 in 2.9 or shift without loosing power.
That entire paragraph is nothing more than misinformation.

First off, they DO replace the transmission. It includes the center differential/t-case and rear diff, its one complete unit. The transmission itself is actually what blows up though, as is evidenced by this picture of 1st gear. The shift forks and rails are clearly visible:

Nissan didn't find ANY "evidence of abusive driving". They simply instructed dealers to scan the PCM, see if launch control had been activated, and then proceed with voiding the warranty on the entire powertrain.

So for $90,000 people got a piece of shit car that blows its transmission, is not covered under warranty, and cost them $20,000 plus to fix. All because they used a FACTORY DESIGNED and integrated feature on the car. That is just pathetic, there is no other word for it. But people like yourself will try and downplay the issue and stand behind Nissan regardless. And no, GM wouldn't do the same thing, if they put a feature on a car its designed to be used, not void the warranty. Nissan is a joke of a company, its a wonder they are still in business.

Quote:
The GT-R weighs more than 3800lbs, Nissan bullshits the numbers just like they do everything else. On the scales, it weighs very close to 4,000lbs.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #134
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Wesman....although I'm enjoying your contributions thus far ()....let's try to dial it back just a bit...please?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #135
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Whoops, here it is !

(Warning: Hitler has a potty mouth.)

This never gets old.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #136
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Wesman....although I'm enjoying your contributions thus far ()....let's try to dial it back just a bit...please?
Yessir
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #137
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
That entire paragraph is nothing more than misinformation.

First off, they DO replace the transmission. It includes the center differential/t-case and rear diff, its one complete unit. The transmission itself is actually what blows up though, as is evidenced by this picture of 1st gear. The shift forks and rails are clearly visible:

Nissan didn't find ANY "evidence of abusive driving". They simply instructed dealers to scan the PCM, see if launch control had been activated, and then proceed with voiding the warranty on the entire powertrain.

So for $90,000 people got a piece of shit car that blows its transmission, is not covered under warranty, and cost them $20,000 plus to fix. All because they used a FACTORY DESIGNED and integrated feature on the car. That is just pathetic, there is no other word for it. But people like yourself will try and downplay the issue and stand behind Nissan regardless. And no, GM wouldn't do the same thing, if they put a feature on a car its designed to be used, not void the warranty. Nissan is a joke of a company, its a wonder they are still in business.

The GT-R weighs more than 3800lbs, Nissan bullshits the numbers just like they do everything else. On the scales, it weighs very close to 4,000lbs.
I SAID THEY DON'T ONLY REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION AS IT IS PART OF THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL. I'm not a huge fan of Nissan or any Japs cars but I'm also not riding GM's Fat One like a Rodeo Horse like a lot of people on this forum. There is no such thing as a legitimately good company. GM is evil, Ford is evil, Dodge is evil, BMW is evil and Toyota is Evil. You may act like they care about the consumer but they don't truly. All manufactures lie, ALL.

I don't care for the GT-R at all by the way, it is an ugly, ugly, ugly car that has clear manufacturing issues but that is because of the engineers designing it not the car itself. Your also right GM wouldn't do that, but that's mainly because they were to busy putting out c**p cars for the last 10 years. It took GM bankruptcy to change their ways. It took a bunch of people complaining for Nissan to fix the GT-R. While I'm certain all they did was make a limit on the amount of times you can use launch control and didn't truly fix it.

Also I've never seen a GT-R be weighed so I only have specs to go off of but I will also say that my car is advertised to do 0-60 in 4.6 Seconds, what they don't tell you is that is with roll out. Most manufactures lie about their specs on cars so it's nothing surprising to me.

I also don't believe for a second that they guy who first broke his transmission was telling the whole truth and that's because I have seen plenty of GT-R drivers that act like d-bags. All the respect to you but you don't know my personal opinions on people, cars or anything so don't automatically assume I love Nissan and same goes for you. Thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #138
siriusdish

Drives: 2010 Camaro L99
I would love to have a GTR, Always wanted a Skyline long ago!!! I really like the GTR!!!
vararam intake, Vmax TB,Vmax Intake,TSP VVT 3 Cam,TSP underdrive pulley,Yank 3600,TM Cooler,ARH 2", High Flow cats, X-pipe, GM Pro mufflers, RX Catch Can,160 stat, BMR Trailing,toe,Cradle insert, Diff. Bushings, End links, Spohn-LCA's (Touring)Wheel spacer's. 422 rwhp Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFNAhCL7Os
siriusdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #139
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Actually, when I think about it, the ZL1 will have MORE hp and TORQUE than pretty much ALL of those "supercars" that we've seen in that 11 car supercar shootout. Even more hp and torque than the Ferrari 458 and the Mercedes. 580HP and 556lbs of torque! I think the ZL1 will walk over alot of exotic cars, from and roll and on the strip if it has some drag tires, because despite how much power and torque this car will be putting down, the only down fall I see in the car will be it's projected weight! That seems to be the only limiting factor. Well, weight and traction. If they can surprise us with a weight about the same as the SS or lower, then BOY OH BOY, will EVERYONE have trouble. Just something I thought about. Ya know?
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #140
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i am going to go with a no.
It's crazy how that race puts things in perspective. Wow