Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Black on Black
Smokin Bowties Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Wiring 2 subs in seperate boxes parallel

I currently have two seperate speaker boxes each with a single 12" subwoofer both running on a 1 channel mono amp. My question is how do I wire the boxes together in parallel? Do I need two sets of speaker wire terminals on one box, so I run from amp to terminal 1 on the outside of box which connects to the sub, then another wire from the same sub to the second terminal. Then the second box is connected "thru" the first one?...............Or do I have both the output from the amp and the wires for the second sub box twisted together and stuck into a single set of terminals on the first subwoofer? Please keep in mind I have 2 seperate sub boxes and I need them to be wired in parallel only and I cannot change this configuration. Thank you for any intelligent replies in advance, I know there is a guru out there somewhere.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
Alpine M
/////Alpine

Drives: Alpine Perfect F.I.T. Camaro
Simple way - Run both sets of wires from the boxes back to the amp, put both positives in the amps positive and both negatives in the negative side.

Other way - run +/- from the amp to +/- of the 1st sub. Connect the subwoofer #1 to these wires and also connect the +/- wires you want to run to the other subwoofer to these terminals too (either a terminal plate or the speaker terminals on the woofer). Run these wires to the +/- of the other subwoofer.

In the end, you want to make sure you have a that all positive terminals are connected to the + of the amp and all negatives are negative .. whether you daisy chain or direct wire each one is up to you.

Jim
Alpine M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Black on Black
Smokin Bowties Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine M View Post
Simple way - Run both sets of wires from the boxes back to the amp, put both positives in the amps positive and both negatives in the negative side.

Other way - run +/- from the amp to +/- of the 1st sub. Connect the subwoofer #1 to these wires and also connect the +/- wires you want to run to the other subwoofer to these terminals too (either a terminal plate or the speaker terminals on the woofer). Run these wires to the +/- of the other subwoofer.

In the end, you want to make sure you have a that all positive terminals are connected to the + of the amp and all negatives are negative .. whether you daisy chain or direct wire each one is up to you.

Jim
So I have 2 dual 2 ohm voice coil subs...i have the individual subs Dual voice coils run in series making each sub 4 ohm.....then I'm running the subs in parallel by running a line from each sub back to my amps mono channel...this will give me a 2 ohm load at the amp...does this sounds about right?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
dcamarom
SoCal Family Member

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2LT/RS
Black on Black, how are you hooking the amp? I have the same kind of set up but with 10in subs. I am going to install this weekend. Thanks.
dcamarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
Black on Black
Smokin Bowties Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcamarom View Post
Black on Black, how are you hooking the amp? I have the same kind of set up but with 10in subs. I am going to install this weekend. Thanks.
Here is what I did.. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126083 but you have the boston acoustic system and it is a slightly different setup so you need to read that thread also before you do anything
Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
dcamarom
SoCal Family Member

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
Here is what I did.. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126083 but you have the boston acoustic system and it is a slightly different setup so you need to read that thread also before you do anything
Ok, I have the same PAC converter thing you have. Is it possible to hook it up to the radio instead of splicing into the rear speaker?
dcamarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Black on Black
Smokin Bowties Member

Quote:
Ok, I have the same PAC converter thing you have. Is it possible to hook it up to the radio instead of splicing into the rear speaker?
Unfortunately no not that I know of...that is the reason the pac is needed
Old 02-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

take a look at the series parallel diagram in that link, that should help explain it all

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
Black on Black
Smokin Bowties Member

Quote:
Herre is what you need.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67472
Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Black on Black
Smokin Bowties Member

And this one
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41042