Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 06-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #7239
jmelchio
SSmokinJoe

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS M6
Thanks. Wasn't sure how much difference I would see in tire pressure due to temperature changes with Nitrogen.
SLP Loudmouth II Axleback
Hurst Shifter
R1Concepts Slotted Rotors
Hawk Ceramic Brakepads

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
jmelchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #7240
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
Is not much of a difference. The idea of nitrogen is that the molecules are larger and as such they leach through the rubber slower than the smaller oxygen molecules. But you only have about 20 percent oxygen to begin with, as humans require 19.5-23.5 percent oxygen. It's more scam than anything, a way to extort more money from consumers.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #7241
jmelchio
SSmokinJoe

Thanks. I used to Scuba dive, and diving with Nitrox (32% oxygen vs. 21%) made some big differences in how long you could stay down without having to decompress, so I thought there may be some benefits to using more nitrogen in tires. Sounds like it's not worth it, though. Thanks for the info.

Joe.
Hurst Shifter
Hawk Ceramic Brakepads

Old 06-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #7242
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
I figured this was a good picture for a Friday:

demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #7243
jmelchio
SSmokinJoe

Perfect for a friday

Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
I figured this was a good picture for a Friday:

Hurst Shifter
Hawk Ceramic Brakepads

Old 06-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #7244
Trav2SS
MTMTEYE

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I must be a high efficiency hybrid vehicle then with a tri-turbo setup. I dont drink much but when I get on it, its full throttle and drops that average alot lol

Aftermarket bolt on parts and tune.. 434hp/395tq
Daily Driver.
Trav2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #7245
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Alright, so question for you all.

Going to probably be placing my order for headers here within the next couple weeks and wanted to build a list of needs, however, I need advice if i"m missing something. Please let me know...

1. Headers (1 7/8" LT) Do the bolts come with the headers or do we reuse the OEM?
2. Hi Flow Cats (connect to factory connection so it meets up with THR exhaust, yes, I will have a reduction to 2.5" for about 6" before it re-enlarges to 3". Nothing much I could do without some ridiculous cutting thanks to THR exhaust)

What else do I need?

Do I need new factory gaskets for the headers? Should I just order a set of those from Rich?

Do I need new O2 sensors? Jay, you mentioned something I could put into the rear O2 sensors that would stop me from getting a CEL without a tune?

Anti-seize? For what exactly?

Any extra fluids? Oil?

Am I missing anything?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #7246
tahseenmahmood
Mr. Ricer

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelchio View Post
Nice!
I am a hybrid too.! Never had any alcohol in 27 years...
A lot of cheese cake though .! haha
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #7247
tahseenmahmood
Mr. Ricer

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Alright, so question for you all.

Going to probably be placing my order for headers here within the next couple weeks and wanted to build a list of needs, however, I need advice if i"m missing something. Please let me know...

1. Headers (1 7/8" LT) Do the bolts come with the headers or do we reuse the OEM?
2. Hi Flow Cats (connect to factory connection so it meets up with THR exhaust, yes, I will have a reduction to 2.5" for about 6" before it re-enlarges to 3". Nothing much I could do without some ridiculous cutting thanks to THR exhaust)

What else do I need?

Do I need new factory gaskets for the headers? Should I just order a set of those from Rich?

Do I need new O2 sensors? Jay, you mentioned something I could put into the rear O2 sensors that would stop me from getting a CEL without a tune?

Anti-seize? For what exactly?

Any extra fluids? Oil?

Am I missing anything?

I believe it depends on company to company... when I was thinking of buying headers before I got the ninja I researched quiet a bit.
OBX long tube came with every thing even cats... where as pace setters dint and they were super cheap.. so it really depends on which company you buy from..IMO
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #7248
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Many headers will come with bolts/studs and gaskets; however, depending on the brand, you're likely to get cheap stuff. Personally, considering your low miles, you can reuse your factory exhaust gaskets. You may even be able to reuse your manifold bolts, but I'd recommend getting studs as it will make it a lot easier to just hang the gasket and header flange before tightening everything down. ARP makes a set, but they're pricey. I bought a set off eBay that are stainless for around $30 (Alper Motorsports).

You'll want anti seize for your O2 sensors and spark plugs. I have some if you'd like some assistance putting these on.

If you're not planning on a tune right away, you'll want to get "MIL Eliminators" or "O2 sims." Not everyone sells them because there was a big government stink several years ago which "outlawed" them. They're now only sold as "off road only."

You'll need O2 extensions OR longer front O2 sensors. I don't know the part number for the 5th gens, but I literally just purchased a pair of the longer sensors from Amazon for my car (not sure if they're the same connector, but the part number is 213-810 ACDelco).

You don't need any fluids.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #7249
Swacer

Quote:
Personally, considering your low miles, you can reuse your factory exhaust gaskets.
Thats kinda what I thought.

Quote:
You may even be able to reuse your manifold bolts, but I'd recommend getting studs as it will make it a lot easier to just hang the gasket and header flange before tightening everything down. ARP makes a set, but they're pricey. I bought a set off eBay that are stainless for around $30 (Alper Motorsports).
Are these all 1 size? Would I be able to get the same?

Quote:
If you're not planning on a tune right away, you'll want to get "MIL Eliminators" or "O2 sims." Not everyone sells them because there was a big government stink several years ago which "outlawed" them. They're now only sold as "off road only."
Doesn't matter to me, I just figured I'd save a little money, but I have no idea how much these cost. Is this an alternative to the back O2 sensors? I am honestly confused what I need back there.

Quote:
You'll need O2 extensions OR longer front O2 sensors. I don't know the part number for the 5th gens, but I literally just purchased a pair of the longer sensors from Amazon for my car (not sure if they're the same connector, but the part number is 213-810 ACDelco).
Why do I need extensions on the front? I thought the only modifications came for the back sensors? And I would need 2 of these?

This is why I need the advice. I don't really seem to know what i'm after and there isn't a "straight" link to say...to do headers...you need this, this, and this.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #7250
Seer

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
Your header kit may or may not come with front o2 extenders. You will most likely need them because the header will be relocating the front o2 sensor, since the new bung will be down near the collector. I personally don't like o2 extenders as they can come unclipped etc. I'd try and research and see if you can unclip your o2 harness and see if there is any slack.

O2 non foulers are another trick to avoiding the CEL. http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...ouler-how.html

BUT, you will want to get the car tuned so you can have Catalyst over temp disabled. It is a function of the vehicle's pcm to send excess fuel to cool down your non existent or high flow cats that no longer require this. Which in result makes you run richer than you need to be pretty much negating the real performance gain of headers.

I personally feel factory header gaskets are a good option.
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #7251
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Header studs are the same for all Gen III/IV LS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-Ls6-Ls3-...item3382bbd460

Here's the ARP: http://www.texas-speed.com/p-429-arp-header-studs.aspx

O2 extension for the front O2 sensors: http://www.texas-speed.com/p-782-24-o2-extension.aspx These are needed because "long" tubes inherently move the location further back. It's obviously more budget friendly to buy the extensions rather than new sensors ($40 for two extensions vs. $114 for two new sensors; I went new because mine are 11 years old/70k miles).

As for the rear O2 simulators... I just did a quick search here and it appears as though you 5th gen guys don't really have a true simulator like we had/have for the 4th gens. Here's a thread that will help you with what you can do, though: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277384
Old 06-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #7252
Swacer

Quote:
Header studs are the same for all Gen III/IV LS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-Ls6-Ls3-...item3382bbd460

Here's the ARP: http://www.texas-speed.com/p-429-arp-header-studs.aspx

O2 extension for the front O2 sensors: http://www.texas-speed.com/p-782-24-o2-extension.aspx These are needed because "long" tubes inherently move the location further back. It's obviously more budget friendly to buy the extensions rather than new sensors ($40 for two extensions vs. $114 for two new sensors; I went new because mine are 11 years old/70k miles).

As for the rear O2 simulators... I just did a quick search here and it appears as though you 5th gen guys don't really have a true simulator like we had/have for the 4th gens. Here's a thread that will help you with what you can do, though: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277384
A copule guys in the V8 thread said that the headers might have an extender on them such that I woudln't need an extender. I sent a message off to the vendor asking that and a text off to denny as he has these on this car. So we'll find out in a bit if I need front extenders or if I'll be alright.

As for the back ones, I figure I'll just get a box tune from THR since i'm not going beyond bolton for a little while and just want to clear off any CELs that might happen. So no need to fool the sensors.