Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #57
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
Pump gas. No cogs. A TVS2300 on a 416ci motor, without running rear cogs will run a finite amount of boost till belt slip becomes as issue. However much boost that is, I'll make up the rest with compression. My build is still on the drawing board, so perhaps your 416 is a viable option, though everything I've read leads me to believe that 9.6:1 is a bit low for my goals.
I appreciate all of the free advice you provide this board, and the LS3 community. Not trying to be difficult, just learn as much as I can from the experts in the field.
Unavowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #58
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
The stock 10 rib rear pulleys will start slipping around 9-10 psi. The RIP 10 rib will start slipping around 14 psi.
Hope this helps

sent from my Note2 using Tapatalk
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #59
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronix View Post
Maybe a little vacation to a beautiful white sandy beach & a frozen drink with a little umbrella in it would do the trick!
Completely over rated....lol

We all need some of this in our lives...
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #60
Unavowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika@SCC View Post
The stock 10 rib rear pulleys will start slipping around 9-10 psi. The RIP 10 rib will start slipping around 14 psi.
Hope this helps

sent from my Note2 using Tapatalk
OK, so, 416ci, PUMP 93, no meth, 14psi. The perfect (or as close as you can get) compression ratio would be?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #61
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Can you explain the reason you don't want the cog drive? It is the best setup for what you want to do and trust me it is not a noise problem as all. Are you wanting to build a sleeper car? If you do a 416 with 14 pounds of boost there will be sound from the air flow of the supercharger and people are going to know your car is blown anyway.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #62
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
I run mine at 9.8:1, I'd look to be around 9.5-10:1 to stay blower firendly and limit the risk of issues.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #63
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
I run mine at 9.8:1, I'd look to be around 9.5-10:1 to stay blower firendly and limit the risk of issues.
We built mine at 10:1 and it seems to be a good balance and I do not have any issues with boost or octane running meth. My builder and tuner totally agreed on the compression right off the bat.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #64
Unavowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdmax View Post
Can you explain the reason you don't want the cog drive? It is the best setup for what you want to do and trust me it is not a noise problem as all. Are you wanting to build a sleeper car? If you do a 416 with 14 pounds of boost there will be sound from the air flow of the supercharger and people are going to know your car is blown anyway.
Not so much a sleeper as refinement. O.E. levels of NVH. I already have a blown C5 Corvette with an aggressive cam, loud & smelly exhaust, etc. I've spent enough time around modded CTS-Vs to know that is possible to build a low 10 second car and still drive your wife to a nice dinner without smelling like gasoline when you get there. Of course the blower will scream under WOT, but at idle and normal driving I want to be quiet as possible.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #65
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
Not so much a sleeper as refinement. O.E. levels of NVH. I already have a blown C5 Corvette with an aggressive cam, loud & smelly exhaust, etc. I've spent enough time around modded CTS-Vs to know that is possible to build a low 10 second car and still drive your wife to a nice dinner without smelling like gasoline when you get there. Of course the blower will scream under WOT, but at idle and normal driving I want to be quiet as possible.

A low 10 second 5th gen is a piece of cake. But that gets boring fast....
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #66
Unavowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
A low 10 second 5th gen is a piece of cake. But that gets boring fast....
Perfect, I'm a boring guy!

So, take your build (minus the spray) add 40 cubic inches, a little less boost, a little more compression, what do you get?
BTW, thanks for chiming in, I was hoping you would.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #67
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Perfect, I'm a boring guy!

So, take your build (minus the spray) add 40 cubic inches, a little less boost, a little more compression, what do you get?
BTW, thanks for chiming in, I was hoping you would.

No spray my car runs 10.0-10.1 all day in 90 degree weather. 9.9's in good air. The extra cubes should make up for the decrease in boost. The Maggie likes the stock cubes, at least that's my opinion. Every 416 TVS car seems to loose a little low end grunt. My car leaves harder than anyone elses but I'm down the rwhp dept.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #68
Unavowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
No spray my car runs 10.0-10.1 all day in 90 degree weather. 9.9's in good air. The extra cubes should make up for the decrease in boost. The Maggie likes the stock cubes, at least that's my opinion. Every 416 TVS car seems to loose a little low end grunt. My car leaves harder than anyone elses but I'm down the rwhp dept.
So to not lose that low end, I want to make sure I maximize compression. If a 2300 struggles to fill 416ci, then bumping compression should offset some or most of that deficiency. Well, that's my theory at least.

What HP I'm giving up by not running cogs and being boost limited, I'm looking to make up with CI and compression.

So, where is the sweet spot of boost vs. compression on 416ci and pump 93?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #69
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
So to not lose that low end, I want to make sure I maximize compression. If a 2300 struggles to fill 416ci, then bumping compression should offset some or most of that deficiency. Well, that's my theory at least.

What HP I'm giving up by not running cogs and being boost limited, I'm looking to make up with CI and compression.

So, where is the sweet spot of boost vs. compression on 416ci and pump 93?

It's impossible to guesstimate boost levels without knowing the elevation and pulley configuration. With that info I could take a shot at guessing.

As for the other questions....you got me. I'm no engine builder. Back when I forged the stock block no one was doing the 416's yet. That's how I ended up with what I have. If the 416 was out I'd prob have one. I would never run a high boosted engine on pump gas. To risky for me. I run my car on 100% 104 unleaded. We have had no issues with that and my car has seen upwards of 18+ psi.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #70
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Pump gas doesn't like high compression, if you were running E85 or the race gas that Jamie runs you could get away with it. Lingenfelter runs 10:1 in most of their stuff, and they are one of the better engine builders around.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote